PDA

View Full Version : SLC canyons camping?

Alex
08-09-2006, 07:30 AM
I finally got my pop up trailer and want to take it out for a test. I was thinking of doing something close to home and looking at Big or little Cottonwood canyons campgrounds. My question is how easy is it to get the first come first serve campsites? I looked to reserve a few, but all of them are reserved already for next weekend.

Does anyone have any experience in this and could give a newbie RVier an advice? Or maybe some other decent places to go around SLC? I don't want to go too far, this is just a test run to see if my vehicle can handle the load and also test run the pop up trailer for camping.

I am planning on doing some dutch oven cooking (thanks itchys on getting me hooked), so planning on hanging around the camp most of the time. Maybe do a little bit of hiking...

So any help? Thanks :2thumbs:

accadacca
08-09-2006, 08:06 AM
Have a look at this site. http://www.reserveusa.com/

Really good for finding camp spots. :2thumbs:

paraAdams
08-09-2006, 01:33 PM
In the past I have arrived at the Spruces or Jordan Pines up Big Cottonwood after 11:00 a.m. and found more than one 1st come 1st serve sights.

In fact some people were still arriving to claim their spots as late as 3:00.

I have no idea if this is typical or not, but it happened to me on two different occasions.

As a bonus: it's totally beautiful up there this time of year. The creek nearby has hungry trout that love to slurp Parachute Adams!

Alex
08-09-2006, 02:07 PM
Thanka para, I will try that. How do you reserve a site once you get there? Just pay for it and put up the ticket on it? Or do I have to leave a cooler there or something?

I will send my wife up there around 9-10 AM to reserve the site until I get back home from work

acca: I looked at that site and everything is booked

paraAdams
08-09-2006, 02:24 PM
You can't go too early because the old occupant's may not be gone.

But yes, you should leave some stuff and make sure to pay at the station before she goes back to work, so they can help you hold your spot.

Just don't leave anything really nice, because it might not be there when you get back. Some chairs and a cooler are fine. But seriously, make sure to pay and make sure you explain your concern to the camp hosts so they can help.

Have fun, and take some pictures! :nod: [/i]

Alex
08-13-2006, 07:22 AM
Is there water available at those camp sites or do I have to bring my own? For cooking and drinking I mean

stefan
08-13-2006, 07:56 AM
Is there water available at those camp sites or do I have to bring my own? For cooking and drinking I mean

i would say most proper campgrounds everywhere have filtered water coming from a spigot for your drinking/cooking/cleaning needs. it seems like the biggest variable is what type of bathrooms, port-o-potty or fully-loaded and perhaps RV hookups.

another very nice campground is up in albion basin, above the town of alta, but within the altaskiarea. i love subalpine forest and this is nestled right in it. it's also very close to cecret lake, and you can make a short steep dayhike upto sugarloaf peak, or further on up to baldy. wildflowers are great all over the area near the campground and there are literally scores of trails you can wander to see these flowers. but it's also popular as well. alta is one of my favorite places for alot of reasons.