PDA

View Full Version : Crisis averted. Thanks for your help!

Shan
08-08-2006, 08:39 AM
My friends are coming in T minus 2 weeks and we have NOTHING figured out as far as transportation on our 2 road trips.

My husband nixed the hitch/trailer idea for our Jeep. He said he didn't want to put that much wear and tear on the Jeep.

So now I'm thinking about renting a minivan with the other couple (then they can drive themselves from and to the airport).

BUT

Do you think we can fit 4 mountain bikes in the back of a 7 passenger minivan with the back bucket seats removed? So there'd be just the 4 seats, then all the back for bikes (wheels off) and camp stuff can go between the 2 middle seats.

I am stressed - nothing is figured out!

THey are thinking about getting a car for themselves, but if they are plunking down $$$ why not get one we can split gas and rental with?

Alex
08-08-2006, 08:41 AM
I would just rent a bike rack. You can either get the roof mounted or the spare tire one. That should hold a bunch of bikes for you.

Shan
08-08-2006, 08:43 AM
Where would I rent a bike rack?

If I can rent a bike rack and it works out, then I'll just go with a standard sized SUV which is actually cheaper than a minivan.

Iceaxe
08-08-2006, 08:49 AM
minivan

:roflol: :roflol: :roflol: :roflol:

Sorry but there is no way in hell that I would be caught driving a minivan.

That is like saying "I just give up" on ever being cool....

:cool2:

Shan
08-08-2006, 08:50 AM
Dude I could care less about cool! :cool2:

Can't you see my sexay outfit? I am cool.
<---------------

I just need a viable way to fit 4 people, 4 bikes, 1 dog and a shat load of camping gear into one vehicle that I don't own without taking out a second mortgage to afford it! Did I mention I have less than 2 weeks?

Advantage rent a car which has the best prices has NO bike racks to rent in all of Utah. I just called.

stefan
08-08-2006, 08:51 AM
and it's one step closer to saying you have kids ... and you said you weren't ready for that :haha:

so was the reason you were thinking of the minivan because of putting the bikes inside?

Alex
08-08-2006, 08:54 AM
I'd call local bike shops, I know the ones in Moab rent them, so I am sure there are some that do here as well...

Shan
08-08-2006, 08:54 AM
and it's one step closer to saying you have kids ... and you said you weren't ready for that :haha:

so was the reason you were thinking of the minivan because of putting the bikes inside?

Ha! Good memory.

Yes, the reason is for space. I already own a Jeep Cherokee and it cannot fit 4 bikes and that's considered an intermediate SUV on these car rental sites. So I need something with more interior space. OR places I can rent a bike rack if we rent a larger SUV.

Alex
08-08-2006, 08:55 AM
Call REI

3285 E 3300 S
Salt Lake City, UT 84109
(801) 486-2100

Shan
08-08-2006, 09:00 AM
I'm in Logan, so something between the Airport and here. I won't be heading past REI until the second road trip.

stefan
08-08-2006, 09:09 AM
does the university there have an outdoor rental place (UoU does). perhaps they actually rent racks too? no idea. maybe worth checking on.

Shan
08-08-2006, 09:12 AM
ACK! The USU ORC, every bike shop in Logan, Dollar and Advantage auto rental at the airport all have no bike racks.

I guess I'll look into Ogden area now.

Alex
08-08-2006, 09:12 AM
does the university there have an outdoor rental place (UoU does). perhaps they actually rent racks too? no idea. maybe worth checking on.

I am way ahead of you! :five:
http://www.utah.edu/campusrec/orp_crs/orp/orp_rental.htm

No luck :(

Shan
08-08-2006, 09:17 AM
REI doesn't rent rack either!

stefan
08-08-2006, 09:18 AM
ACK! The USU ORC, every bike shop in Logan, Dollar and Advantage auto rental at the airport all have no bike racks.

it's a conspiracy!

okay, well, it seems to me the only way to redeem your cool factor and have the room is to get a VAN and not a minivan. should have more than enough room. i never rented one, but the more burly ones seem to be the vehicle of choice for all the outdoor organizations doing ANY sort of trip with lots of folks on backroads.

have you checked on this? how much more is it than an SUV?

Alex
08-08-2006, 09:32 AM
Also you could rent an SUV with a hitch, then rent Uhaul trailer and you are set?

Shan
08-08-2006, 09:37 AM
From one car rental place (Advantage) they said none of their vehilces come with hitches and towing is not allowed by whoever distrubtes the cars.

But I can call the others to confirm.

Alex
08-08-2006, 09:40 AM
Gosh! Just cancel the trip and stay home! :lol8: :roflol:

Shan
08-08-2006, 09:43 AM
"I will only ride in a minivan if it has flames painted on the sides and a nice set of rims"

this is what my friend just said about my minivan idea!

Alex
08-08-2006, 09:52 AM
"I will only ride in a minivan if it has flames painted on the sides and a nice set of rims"

this is what my friend just said about my minivan idea!

:roflol: :roflol: :roflol: You are soooo doomed! :roflol:

James_B_Wads2000
08-08-2006, 10:07 AM
Where would I rent a bike rack?

If I can rent a bike rack and it works out, then I'll just go with a standard sized SUV which is actually cheaper than a minivan.

I got a bike rack that fits a standard trailer hitch. It hold four bikes. You are welcome to borrow it if you like. It is not the best built rack in the world but I have used it manytimes with four bike and never had any problems. I live in Murray but work near the Airport.

James

BrainDamage
08-08-2006, 10:14 AM
Here is an Idea nobody has come up with, how about a quad cab Pickup truck? Like a Colorado or a Dakota, I know that 4 people will fit confortably in it and the bikes can be placed in the bed of the truck.

Shan
08-08-2006, 10:39 AM
James that is so incredibly nice of you! Thank you for your offer!

I think we have a plan now.

We will just drive our jeep and pay our own gas. They will rent a car and pay their own gas. Either way for them, they are out gas + $250, and for us: one way we are out gas and $250, or just gas. So the question was what to we want miles on the Jeep or spend $250. I figured it will be only 1200 miles, that's not bad at all. Plus I dont think we have $250 to spare.

Thanks for all your help guys and putting up with my frantic-ness! I feel better we are settled with plans.

Alex
08-08-2006, 11:15 AM
We accept pictures as reinbursment :naughty:

...so take lots of them!

Iceaxe
08-08-2006, 11:23 AM

:lol8:

Told ya!!!

Bonus points if it has a waterbed in the back :five:

I bought my wife a new car last year. The salesman asked her if she was interested in a minivan..... her reply.... "I'm not old enough to drive a minivan". :roflol:

Keep on Truckin'

Shan
08-08-2006, 11:29 AM
This is going to be a fun trip! This is his comment on 2 cars:

We can divide it up in two cars...chicks versus d**ks...that way Chris I can bitch about how dumb everything is the whole way to the trailhead while you and Brooke can comb each others hair and talk about barbies in the other car

Alex
08-08-2006, 11:32 AM
That's classic! :roflol:

James_B_Wads2000
08-08-2006, 12:11 PM
I am still confused, do you need my bike rack or do you got it covered?

James

Shan
08-08-2006, 12:14 PM

James

Sorry, to clarify I will not need your bike rack. But thank you very much for your generous offer.

James_B_Wads2000
08-08-2006, 12:21 PM

James

Sorry, to clarify I will not need your bike rack. But thank you very much for your generous offer.

Anytime! :2thumbs: