PDA

View Full Version : Canyoneering with the Wife

Iceaxe
08-08-2006, 08:11 AM
"How do you work in a bunch of canyoneering if your wife is not hardcore?"

I get asked this question all the time and here is how I work it since my wife is more the party girl and not a real hardcore canyoneer.

http://uutah.com/forum/files/dancer-sm.gif

We plan a trip to Zion (Or Capitol Reef) as a couple. We stay in a nice motel with pool. I get up early and go do a canyon with friends or someone I meet in this forum.

While I'm out doing canyons my wife usually does the tourist shops in town (I hate shopping) and/or hangs out at the pool. She might do breakfast or lunch with friends.

In the afternoon we meet back at the motel and hook up. We usually lounge at the pool in the afternoon drinking margaritas and then get dressed up in the evening and go out for a nice dinner.

The second day we usually do a mello canyon or hike. Maybe Subway, Kanarra Creek, Red Cave or Angel's Landing (Sulphur Creek or Hickman Bridge in Capitol Reef).... something moderate and fun and then call it good. She has fun, I have fun, we both get to do some of what we want..... it works for us.... it might work for you....

:nod:

Alex
08-08-2006, 08:28 AM
Thanks Ice, that is exactly what I am planning on doing soon enough. I have a little guy to drag along as well. From talking to a lot of the guys on the forum, sounds like that is the case for most of us. The Kids!

So you should make another post "How to canyoneer with the wife AND the kids" :five:

Iceaxe
08-08-2006, 08:31 AM
So you should make another post "How to canyoneer with the wife AND the kids"

Its pretty much the same thing.... only the pool at the motel becomes much more important. :2thumbs:

When the kids go a big breakfest and hanging out at the pool are high on the list. They usually hit one of the ice cream shops in the afternoon.

Hooking up with anther couple in the same situation also works great.

:popcorn:

marc olivares
08-08-2006, 09:53 AM
and if the wife likes to come along on the canyons, the little ones are dumped off with anyone who will watch them... :haha:

i think it would acutally be easier the wives didnt like to go if kids are involved and approach it like Shane suggests. i've burned out sooo many friends and relatives w/ watching my kids while my wife and i play... :naughty:

accadacca
08-08-2006, 04:48 PM
Yup, the key is not to overdue it. :nod: Women don't want to expend a bunch of energy and get dirty. If you burn them out the first day on a big hike...you are toast for the rest of the trip. Sorry to the women on here but the majority just don't. You women that do are just awesome and that is why we call you uutah goddesses. :ahh:

hesse15
08-09-2006, 01:11 PM
Yup, the key is not to overdue it. :nod: Women don't want to expend a bunch of energy and get dirty. If you burn them out the first day on a big hike...you are toast for the rest of the trip. Sorry to the women on here but the majority just don't. You women that do are just awesome and that is why we call you uutah goddesses. :ahh:

for me is easy, got boyfriend that like get on weekends trip.
my job suck so for me weekend is the only way to get out negative energies....
i love get dirty!!!
but is true i do not have kids
i think the best is putting several couples canyoneering and just swap days to watch kids
:popcorn: