PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Utah Caves

jumar
08-07-2006, 02:09 PM
So what is everyone's favorite Utah caves? I've done most of my caving up in MT and WY, so haven't done enough local caves to have favorites yet :(

windrivers
08-09-2006, 08:59 AM
Unfortunatly a lot of the caves are being gated. It's relatively easy to get keys once you have made a few connections. You really have to get jin with the grottos around here. Caving is top secret business, especially here in Utah.
Bloomington cave near St. George is fun. It's not very technical, but if you find the right passages it would take the better part of a day. There aren't very many formatins though. It's good to do if your in the area. I wouldn't do a 5 hour drive just for the cave. But there jis tons of climbing and hiking in the area
The caves I really like are in The Great Basin Area by Ely, which is actually Nevada, but the area is covered with great caving. I spent a whole week out there last fall and there are still more caves I want to go to. The most popular in the area is Whipple. That cave is a blast, with a 70 ft. rappel in.

jumar
08-09-2006, 09:07 AM
Whipple's been on my to do list for ages now. Gotta get out there sometime.

Scott P
08-10-2006, 11:05 AM
Altelope Spings and JP Caves are really cool.

jumar
08-10-2006, 11:49 AM
jp?

Scott P
08-10-2006, 01:22 PM
jp?

Initials for the full name of the cave.

jumar
08-10-2006, 01:24 PM
Ah, I think I just figured it out. :)
If I get to do that cave, if it's the one I'm thinking of, I would likely agree with you that it's a fav.

caverspencer
08-15-2006, 02:21 PM
Ah, I think I just figured it out. :)
If I get to do that cave, if it's the one I'm thinking of, I would likely agree with you that it's a fav.

It also has one the most spectacular entrance drops and room by far in the state. If you go take lots of warm clothes and expect a long accent out.

Oh and pulling up the rope isn't much fun either, it digs into the snow and has a ton of friction, trying to stack it part way up doesn't work either, it will just fall and shock load everything as soon as you start to climb again.