PDA

View Full Version : Backpacking Stoves

paraAdams
08-06-2006, 09:31 PM
I'm looking to buy a new backpack stove. I can't decide between a canister (iso-butane) stove, and a white can (liquid gas) stove .

I've been doing quite a bit of research, but I'd simply like some opinions.
Anyone with an opinion will help. I've been looking at the Jetboil and MSR mostly.

Obviously I'll be boiling water, but also I'll use it to fry up some fish-hopefully lots of fish....

:ne_nau:

Sombeech
08-07-2006, 08:06 AM
Hey, welcome to the forum! :2thumbs:

When I've been backpacking with my friends, I would see the other types of models and styles. It would always seem the white gas took a little more work to get "just right", by pumping in the gas. It also seemed that if your water boiled faster than expected, the rest of the gas would be wasted(?) but not sure on that one.

I've been really happy with my butane. The stove just sits right ontop of the canister. It seems to take up the least amount of space as well.

Good luck.

accadacca
08-07-2006, 08:21 AM
There was a little discussion on here a while back talking about jet boil stoves

http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2160&highlight=jet+boil

Mtnman1830
08-07-2006, 08:41 AM
I have a MSR Pocket Rocket, and it works great. I have used it when we went to Signal Peak, the elevation was close to 4500' and I used it close to sea level. I have had no problems with it, and it is small and don't take up a lot of room.

I have used it to boil water for de-hydrated meals, and to warm up cans of soup

http://www.msrcorp.com/stoves/pocket_rocket.asp

paraAdams
08-07-2006, 09:09 AM
I've been really happy with my butane. The stove just sits right ontop of the canister. It seems to take up the least amount of space as well.

For a five day trip in the summer, how many 4 oz. canisters did you pack along with you? And what do you do with them when they're empty?

paraAdams
08-07-2006, 09:11 AM
There was a little discussion on here a while back talking about jet boil stoves

http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2160&highlight=jet+boil

The only thing I don't get about the Jet boil is this: can you use it to cook a fish in a frying pan? Or is it only for water?

Sombeech
08-07-2006, 09:15 AM
For a five day trip in the summer, how many 4 oz. canisters did you pack along with you? And what do you do with them when they're empty?

I only needed one for a full week, and that was cooking water for every meal. I packed in two, just in case. It seems like I've always got about 2 half empty canisters sitting around the house, so I burned them all out on this trip, on purpose, so I wouldn't be packing in 3 next time.

JimmyD
08-07-2006, 09:50 AM
I don't have any experience with the jetboil. I would recommend a butane over white gas. They are extremely easy to use. No pumping, more wind resistant, and they always have a good flame.
Although I do know some people that still like white gas, I think they are just stubborn and don't want to change over. You will have whatever you are cooking way faster with the iso-butane.

I have an msr superfly and a snowpeak giga power. The superfly is larger and more stable for pots and pans but the snowpeak packs down extremely small. I like them both but I seem to take the snowpeak most of the time.

I would recommend not getting one with an ignitor because they seem to go out too soon for me. But i could just be doing something wrong. I figure I always take matches or a lighter anyway so it is no big deal.

Alex
08-07-2006, 10:16 AM
I have had JetBoil for over a year now and about 10+ camping/backpacking trips on it. I am still going on the single can of gas and love the stove. It's a little bigger than most stoves, but it comes prepacked with a cup already.

itchy saw the stove in action last weekend, not sure what he thought aobut it. I think he cooked oatmeal in it. I usually use it for hot water (dehydrated meals and hot drinks). I would strongly recommend looking at JetBoil.

I also have the MSR Whisper stove, I will gladly sell it to you if you like, since it's just collecting dust in my garage.

Glockguy
08-07-2006, 11:02 AM
Jey Boil is the way to go. Look at their website for some good recipies.

JimmyD
08-07-2006, 11:04 AM
Can you cook with a pan using jetboil?

If you can, I'm sold.

paraAdams
08-07-2006, 11:12 AM
Does anyone who uses the Jetboil use it for anything other than water? That's what I care to know....

Does it work with a frying pan for fish?

Alex
08-07-2006, 11:32 AM
I never really cooked anything on it, so I can't say for sure, but you can adjust the heat with a knob. itchy was able to cook oatmeal on it....where it requires low heat.

All jetboil does is disperse the heat with the patented heat exchanger. It helps with the wind and the heat loss. It also collapses very nicely in itself (included cup).

Alex
08-07-2006, 11:35 AM
Now that I think about it, you can NOT place a frying pan on top of the JetBoil system. You might want to look at this JetBoil Group system (url is too large, go to rei.com and search for JetBoil)

shagster
08-07-2006, 12:41 PM
I use a white gas stove, Coleman Apex II. Never had any problems with it. Cheap to run, and easy to use. I used one and a half 16 oz. bottles of gas boiling water for two people, three times a day for five days. This stove also packs down nice and small.

Shan
08-07-2006, 02:52 PM
I use a Coleman Peak I white gas stove. White gas is found pretty much everywhere, and you don't have a canister to throw in the landfill after you're done.

I even cashed in on the 5 year warranty at year 4.5! It didn't work, I sent it in, and they fixed it up like new (there were spiders in it - hence I don't store it in the garage anymore).

mroy
08-07-2006, 03:33 PM
I've used both, and I'm happier with canisters. I have about 6 half empty ones sitting in the closet that get used when I go car camping.

I currently have the Primus Micron w/ a Piezo Igniter attached -- super lightweight at 3 oz. You can use the butane mix canisters you find at wal-mart instead of the primus canisters, so they're easy to get.

My problem with white gas is it was always more work just to get it going, and I usually ended up with fuel on my hands.

I've never used a jetboil cause at nearly 1 lb it's twice what my stove & titanium pot weighs (7.5 oz), and it takes up more room since the fuel canisters can't fit in the cup like they'll fit into a regular pot. I think it's a great system, just more weight than I'd like.

Glockguy
08-07-2006, 10:04 PM
Does anyone who uses the Jetboil use it for anything other than water? That's what I care to know....

Does it work with a frying pan for fish?

You can with this.http://www.jetboil.com/Products/Cooking-Systems/Group-(GCS)

packfish
08-08-2006, 08:06 AM
I just have the Coleman Peak 1. Works great- the fuel cannister and stove all fit in the boiling pot so it takes up little room. The only problem I have ever had is the propane being too cold in the morning which is easily solved by sleeping with the can. It worked fine this week at 11,000 feet.

Alex
08-08-2006, 08:24 AM
Can you cook with a pan using jetboil?

If you can, I'm sold.

I went to REI and made them show me how to do it with a personal Jetboil. And it's possible to do that!

You have to have this $20 device to put a regular frying pan on it:

http://tinyurl.com/r7va2

The device fits snugly inside the cup. I think I am going to get one myself :five:

RedMan
08-08-2006, 11:11 PM
I have a Jetboil and it rocks.
Fastest hot water I have ever seen from a stove.
You can use normal pans on it, but it needs the kit Kazaak posted above. It stabilizes the stove when using larger pans.

Jetboil makes a larger 1 litre pot. It has the same heat sink ring as the cup.
You can get a french coffee press that fits the cup. Wahoo now you have a freakin mess to clean up. Skip the french press and use coffee singles.

You can get extra cups for the Jetboil. Kinda nice when a partner is along.
I like the packaging, it all packs down inside the cup.

crazy horse
08-09-2006, 04:05 PM
I second the snowpeak Gigapower stove, it packs down small and fires up reliably every time. I've used it at 8000' in winter and it still boils water admirably, plus you can use any sort of pan you want to fry fish in. Personally i like the built in ignitor, but its all a matter of opinion.