PDA

View Full Version : Canyoneering (etc.) Camera

utidcapaco
08-01-2006, 02:17 PM
I just picked up a digital camera I thought some of you might be interested in. It's waterproof to 5 feet for up to 30 minutes, perfect for canyoneering. It takes excellent photos and great video (I got a 2 GB memory card). You can see it here: http://www.h20camera.com

Now I won't have any excuses (e.g., "I was too cold to dig my camera out of my drybag") not to post great action shots here!

Brent

P.S. I don't have any affiliation with Pentax, I just thought this info might be useful. Olympus also has one that is waterproof and shockproof, if you're interested.

accadacca
08-01-2006, 03:43 PM
That's cool! Thanks for sharing. :2thumbs:

Iceaxe
08-01-2006, 03:45 PM
So how much???

marc olivares
08-01-2006, 05:49 PM
i've seen them as low as $240

my buddy Ben has one and they take great shots.

after dumping my cannon elf into the mystery springs pool, i've been looking for a new "wettable" camera. i played w/ Bens a bit and and it's a great little water camera

Sombeech
08-01-2006, 09:10 PM
That's a great idea, in fact I've had my eyes on this waterproof case for my Canon. Looks like brand new they're around $170. I'll check Ebay.

I love the camera I have now, and this way I don't have to buy another one. It's waterproof up to 100 feet. I've also got a 2GB card, so it will be nice for some underwater movies, or just tubing down the river.

http://images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_US/images/products/7264/7264284_sa.jpg

Alex
08-02-2006, 07:11 AM
That's the camera I am bringing this weekend. I made a mount for my whitewater helmet so I can use it hands free. I will post pics and videos of our trip, unless they turn out crappy.

utidcapaco
08-02-2006, 07:56 AM
I think mine was around $260 at Costco. I saw some lower prices online, but I had some credit at Costco. The 2 GB chip was $40, but prices continue to drop. I hated to spend almost as much for a waterproof case as for the camera, plus I needed a new digicam, which is why I went the way I did. Although I'm sure a case adds some protection for bumps and drops. Hopefully my neoprene pouch will sufficiently protect it from canyon walls, etc.

Kazak, you mentioned whitewater. Do you raft/kayak as well? Would you mind posting a picture of your helmet-cam setup? Thanks!

utidcapaco
08-02-2006, 08:02 AM
Sorry Kazak (and all), I found your helmet cam on the other forum (http://utahbp.com/album01/IMG_1375). :hail2thechief: That's a pretty sweet setup. . . just don't roll in really shallow water!

Alex
08-02-2006, 08:13 AM
Heh ya, not really for rolling, though it was on there pretty tight. I bounced on the raft a few times hitting my head on the paddle in front of me and the camera stayed on the helmet. Of course I wasn't recording that stretch of the river.

The camera did good in the water, I just came back from another vacation trip where I used it in salt water and it did just fine. The visibility is a little low under water, but decent enough.

I got mine at costco as well, with a 2gb SD card. Sounds like we have the exact same setup.

Alex
08-02-2006, 08:13 AM
Oh I got a nice neopreme case for it at Inkleys. I will take a pic of it tonight and post it, if you are interested.

RedMan
08-02-2006, 10:16 AM
ATVUtah has one of the Optio WPs.

All of the pics he has posted here on uutuah were taken with this camera.

It is great because it is small, takes a great photo, and dust and rain won't hurt it.

His only complaint is that there is no view finder other than the LCD which can be a bit hard to see in bright sunlight. He has to shadow it with his hand to frame the pic sometimes.

Scott Card
08-02-2006, 12:19 PM
How does this camera do in low light situations like a narrow slot? Any one with any slot experience with one of these? I am in the market for a slot tolerant camera (waterproof and takes a low light photo) I am tired of lugging my Cannon A-1 around although you can't beat the quality of the old Cannons.

Alex
08-02-2006, 12:24 PM
Scott I will tell you after this weekend. I am taking my Canon S2 IS and Pentax W10 with me. I will see if I can do comparison shots. Unless Ice runs us like a herd of cows through the desert.

Scott Card
08-02-2006, 12:40 PM
I look forward to your results. And start mooing, Ice only hikes with BEEF jerky washed down with a little gatorade. No time for pulling plastic wrap off lunchables and putting together those little cracker and cheese sandwiches and eating pudding. Ya gotta go. Rays ain't open all night you know.

Alex
08-02-2006, 12:58 PM
Good to know, I will stock up on Power bars. He stops at noon though right? Or when the dark clouds pull in?

Iceaxe
08-02-2006, 01:26 PM
I will stock up on Power bars.

Power bars :roflol:

Gatorade and jerky baby :2thumbs:

I will see if I can do comparison shots.

I have what I consider the worlds greatest slot canyon camera (Canon PowerShot S50). I would love to do a couple comparison shots against the Pentex and see if it can stack up. No other camera has been able to yet and I have test literally hundreds.

The Canon is bullet proof and takes fantastic pictures..... of course the Canon costs twice as much and is not waterproof..... but....

:popcorn:

Scott Card
08-02-2006, 01:29 PM
My one and only time with him was in Adobe Swalle. He only stopped to snicker at me when I was down climbing, to build a dead man anchor and to take off the harness (at which time he wolfed down jerky and gatorade). Good thing though. That left plenty of time for Zero G, a sweet little find by Ice himself and to Rays all in one day. Fun trip.

Alex
08-02-2006, 01:41 PM
I guess I have to bring the "special" gatorade for him, so he will be running to the bathroom every 5 mins. Then I can easily eat my plastic wrapped lunch :2thumbs:

bruce from bryce
08-02-2006, 04:39 PM
I carry a Canon SD400 and have the DC-30 waterproof case. Both work really well. I think the limiting factor in my photos is my eyesight as I have to wear reading glasses to see all the little icons on the screen. For that reason I usually just set in on automatic and shoot.

The waterproof case keeps out the H2O but unfortunately the back of the case has gotten scratched up some. Those coverings sound like a good idea to protect it from the sandstone.

I am experimenting with a piece of clear packing tape on my watch to protect its face. I think it is going to work really well since it does not leave any type of tape film. I'll report back on its effectiveness.

I do believe that a larger card is necessary especially if you desire to take any videos. They surely eat up the memory.

Enjoy and I look forward to see the photos and video from your trip.

marc olivares
08-02-2006, 07:39 PM
I look forward to your results. And start mooing, Ice only hikes with BEEF jerky washed down with a little gatorade. No time for pulling plastic wrap off lunchables and putting together those little cracker and cheese sandwiches and eating pudding. Ya gotta go. Rays ain't open all night you know.

oh man isnt that the truth...lol

and dont plan on eating breakfast either...cause he wakes and goes!!!

please get some comparison shots, i'd love to see how it stacks up too

Alex
08-02-2006, 08:01 PM
OK you guys are scarying the living hell out of me now. I feel like it's gonna be one hell of a boot camp now...

Do I dare ask how long the hikes are?

accadacca
08-02-2006, 08:27 PM
Personally, I would worry about the bunking arrangement. Knowing how much he talks about Brokeback Mountain. :lol8:

Alex
08-03-2006, 04:07 AM
Personally, I would worry about the bunking arrangement. Knowing how much he talks about Brokeback Mountain. :lol8:

-Tent = check
-Sleeping bag = check
-Chastity Belt = check

Thanks for heads up!

Iceaxe
08-03-2006, 08:27 AM
Do I dare ask how long the hikes are?

Roughly 6 to 8 hours both days...... better plan for about 8 hours with noob's, if faster it's just a bonus.....

Personally, I would worry about the bunking arrangement. Knowing how much he talks about Brokeback Mountain.

After dealing with the Zion Backcountry Permit system most canyoneers are used to taking it up the rear. :lol8:

Alex
08-03-2006, 08:44 AM
... we start hiking at 7am right?

Iceaxe
08-03-2006, 09:15 AM
... we start hiking at 7am right?

We leave camp at 7am, we have about a 30 minute drive on Saturday to reach the actual trailhead.

How you spend your morning before 7am is up to you. I usually roll out of bed about 6:45, toss my pack in the truck, and start asking "what's taking so long"......

:nod:

Guess I'm not a morning person.... :haha:

I have actually left people who just don't get it and do something dumb like start fixing a bacon and eggs breakfest at 6:58. :lol8:

You can eat and rest when you are dead :2thumbs:

Alex
08-03-2006, 09:41 AM
It's fine with me, jsut wanted to know the schedule. I am at work at 6AM with an hour of commute, so getting up early is not a problem with me. Don't worry I won't drag you behind, I know you are big and strong, you can just carry me :roflol:

rockgremlin
08-03-2006, 10:16 AM
I'm the same way. Once I'm up, I'm ready to go. Breakfast is for old folks. I'm up for work at 5:45, so sleeping till 6:45 is sleeping in for me. :2thumbs:

Alex
08-03-2006, 10:30 AM
I acutally prefer a big breakfast myself. I'll just deal with it on the way :nod:

Scott Card
08-03-2006, 10:38 AM
I'm with you Kazak. I like my breakfast so much in the out of doors that I packed a light weight aluminum griddle through Kolob in Zion. It was a heavy pack but I gotta tell you that pancakes and bacon :slobber: in Kolob canyon were soooo good after a cold afternoon in the technical section and a chilly night. Not sure I would do it again but no regrets in having done it. Big breakfasts get me going and keep me going during a long day. Skip breakfast and I hit the wall.

marc olivares
08-03-2006, 11:13 AM
i'm not a big breakfast guy, but i NEED NEED NEED my morning cup of Joe.
nothing like watching Shane pace and i sipped my cup of hot coffee while sitting in the camp chair (that he gave me nothing but shit for bringing along).

oh, if you bring camp chairs, plan on 2 things happening,

Shane giving you shit about them and Shane sitting them. :roflol:

Alex
08-03-2006, 12:26 PM
I'm with you Kazak. I like my breakfast so much in the out of doors that I packed a light weight aluminum griddle through Kolob in Zion. It was a heavy pack but I gotta tell you that pancakes and bacon :slobber: in Kolob canyon were soooo good after a cold afternoon in the technical section and a chilly night. Not sure I would do it again but no regrets in having done it. Big breakfasts get me going and keep me going during a long day. Skip breakfast and I hit the wall.

I find it that a good breakfast in 6-7AM can easily get me down to 2-3pm