PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report Wind Rivers -- Junction Lake -- July 2006 TR

Sombeech
07-29-2006, 11:15 AM
Who: Scott, LeRoy, Clint, Camron, Shad, Kevin & Janis, and myself.

Where: Wind River range, Bridger Wilderness, Junction Lake area

When: July 22nd - July 28th. A full week, 6 nights, 7 days :cool2:

Schedule:
Saturday night- we drove to Pinedale WY to the Elkhart Park TH. We hiked in to Miller Lake in the dark.
Sunday- met up with my aunt and uncle - Janis & Kevin (Mcgillagorilla) at Middle Sweeney Lake. From there we hiked down into the Junction Lake valley to set up camp. Our desired spot was taken, only until monday though, so we set up camp just around the corner.
Monday- moved into our main camp when a group left. Kevin & Janis had to leave early. Scott (accadacca) hiked in and met us at our camp.
Tuesday- ran into some decent Macinaw trout at Junction Lake
Wednesday- Scott, Clint, and Shad hiked up to a couple of lakes, namely 1,000 Island Lake, and estimate catching @200 fish that day!
Thursday- headed back to Junction lake to catch some more big fish and take a swim
Friday- Hiked out. Clint, Shad, and I split off and went to Photographer's Point, @1.5 miles out of the way.
Summary: We saw a different group of people everyday. The funny thing was, we ALL thought this was our "secret" little camp spot. :lol8: Some people were actually pretty upset that we got to their spot before they did. Well, that's how it goes. They were all from Utah, and it was the 24th of July week. :ne_nau:

So, we hiked in about 8 miles to camp, and then about 2-3 miles a day for fishing. We ate delicious fish about every night, as you'll see from the pictures. We estimate that we caught @300 fish altogether that week. :nod: The fishing was great, even though the rivers mostly contained 10-12 inchers. It was a lot of fun.

Read the captions on the pictures for more description. :popcorn:

accadacca
07-29-2006, 03:07 PM
What a Trip!!!! :nod: :2thumbs: :popcorn: :cool2: :hail2thechief: :naughty:

I will put some comments by some of my pictures. Most of mine are of a stretch of river that we fished. We pulled hundreds of fish out of these holes. It was so beautiful too. If this stretch was near the city it would have people lining the banks. It was ridiculous how easy and how many fish in the smallest holes. :five:

Sombeech
07-31-2006, 09:03 AM
Thread is unlocked for discussion now.

We were expecting to run into bears up there, but we hardly saw any trace. Just a few bear caves was all, and maybe bear scat.

We heard a few wolves howling at night, but our camp never seemed disturbed.

Scott P
07-31-2006, 10:42 AM
How were the mosquitoes? Still bad, or tapering down?

shagster
07-31-2006, 10:47 AM
What a great trip. For those of you who couldn't join us you really missed out on this one. We had a great time. Thanks to Somebeech, Scott, Leroy and Cam for taking me along.

icthys
07-31-2006, 10:56 AM
Ok, I'm going next year.

accadacca
07-31-2006, 10:57 AM
How were the mosquitoes? Still bad, or tapering down?
Boy am I itching this morning...could be from the Jack too. :lol8: I would rate the bugs about 7 out of 10. Pretty heavy in spots and I used almost a whole bottle of deet...they had fangs. :twisted:

Sombeech
07-31-2006, 12:08 PM
Ok, I'm going next year.

I would suggest going in LATE August. Unfortunately, this was the only time we could schedule it this year, and it was kind of busy. Lots of other groups passing through our "secret" spot.

If we go again, it will be later in the fall. September was actually very good, except for the snow. We didn't see anybody else.

And, we think September is the time of year that those big Mackies travel up to that small lake for easy catching. :2thumbs:

hike2kolob
07-31-2006, 10:44 PM
Very nice pics. Looks like a great trip guys! :2thumbs:

Those were some big fish. I will confess that I am taking notes and consulting topo maps. :haha:

Sombeech
08-01-2006, 09:29 PM
I just wanted to show the Elk carcass that was picked clean by a pack of wolves.

Alex
08-02-2006, 08:07 AM
Awesome trip guys! Got to join you next year....

shlingdawg
08-03-2006, 08:11 PM
Count me in as well. For absolutely sure.

Nice pics and trail report. I'm all for fewer people/crowds too, so PLEASE let me know what '07 looks like. I missed any sort of adventure this summer (new daughter messes things like that up). But its all good, I guess. :ne_nau:

Mtnman1830
08-04-2006, 05:29 AM
Wow Looks like a great time.

I am headed up for a weekend in Goblin Valley next weekend, and Kings Peak in two weeks.

You just got me looking forward to getting away even more.

neds rock
08-05-2006, 01:46 PM
:2thumbs: Look like you guys a lot of fun, makes me want to go there right now

Sombeech
08-05-2006, 08:29 PM
:2thumbs: Look like you guys a lot of fun, makes me want to go there right now

It was great. Hey, welcome to the forum! You should tell us about yourself! The Newbies section awaits you. :cool2:

chickenlicken
08-06-2006, 05:42 PM
That looks like lots of entertainemnt. I have yet to venture deeply into the winds. I may have to leave the atv home and strap on a backpack next year. I could fish 10 hrs a day and not get tired of it, especially if I was catching fish like those! Thanks for the report.

Shan
08-07-2006, 02:50 PM
Photographer's Point - Nice!! :2thumbs: I wonder which cool chick told you about that place!

Sounds like a great trip! Mackies... yum.

Sombeech
08-07-2006, 03:06 PM
Photographer's Point - Nice!! :2thumbs: I wonder which cool chick told you about that place!

Yeah, baby! Thanks for the tip. It was even easier than hiking out of Miller Lake.

paraAdams
08-09-2006, 02:57 PM
Do you have any idea how fast you were going with your packs on, while you were hiking in? Did you happen to have a GPS that told you MPH? :ne_nau:

Sombeech
08-09-2006, 03:28 PM
Do you have any idea how fast you were going with your packs on, while you were hiking in? Did you happen to have a GPS that told you MPH? :ne_nau:

We had at least 2 GPS' with us, but I'm not sure if anybody recorded the speed. We hiked about 4 miles in 2 hours, with maybe 5 short breaks.

Coming out, we went the long way to see Photographer's point, so @9.5 miles on the way out. We made that around 4 hours.

accadacca
08-09-2006, 03:30 PM
I'd say on flat ground we were doing 2-3mph...not in any hurry.

Reedus
08-28-2006, 02:44 PM
Just curious if any of you guys have the National Geographic TOPO software for Wyoming? I have Utah and the 3d setup, but I need Wyoming to plan a killer trip like you guys just did? Anybody care to share a copy??? I could drop some greenbacks into your Paypal account.

belch26
08-10-2010, 09:43 PM
Hi all I am new to Bogley but I have a trip planned on the 19th of this month to backpack in the winds from Elkhart Park and would like to make it over to Junction Lake. Is there a trail to Junction or did you bushwack it? Do you have any GPS cords? Any info you can provide would be appreciated. I have backpacked in the Uintas several times, but never in the Winds.

Thanks

accadacca
08-11-2010, 03:38 PM
We bushwhacked over to junction, but I believe there is a trail. It just wasn't in the direction we needed to go....would have been much farther. Beech any thoughts?

It has been a few years and I cant remember yesterday. :lol8:

Sombeech
10-03-2013, 12:07 PM
Sweet Throwback Thursday! Man we slayed some fish on this trip. It's been too long, we need to get back.

NS_Chain
01-30-2022, 04:27 PM
Apologies for reincarnating this thread from its restful grave.

Has anybody who's still active made their way to Junction Lake?

I'm planning on making my way there this summer.
But I'm finding astoundingly little information about it, and this is the only place I've found where its mentioned that still shows some user activity.