PDA

View Full Version : New Sandy Climbing Gym

Iceaxe
07-27-2006, 08:27 PM
The Quarry is currently in the process of building a climbing gym in Sandy. It will be in the same building as the REI near South Towne Mall. I drive by this all the time and they are currently "raising the roof" . . . . literally.

I've never had a lot of use for climbing gyms, but this is close enough to my house I might check it out this winter. I'm not bagging on climbing gyms..... it's just that I have a beautiful crag 5 minutes from my front door so a gym has never captured my interest.

JimmyD
07-28-2006, 06:48 AM
I've spoken with a few people about the new gym and it is projected to be really nice. I might check it out this winter too.

I feel the same about going to the gym when there is so much great rock so close to us here. I don't see why anyone would go there except during the winter. :ne_nau:

I haven't been to a climbing gym since I was a kid. I grew up right by rockreation and before I could drive this was the easy way to go.

Where do you go that is five minutes away? ...Redrocks? ...Draper Boulders?

Iceaxe
07-28-2006, 07:36 AM
Where do you go that is five minutes away? ...Redrocks? ...Draper Boulders?

Not exactly sure what the hang doggers call it..... but its the Big Red Rocks just above the South Mountain Golf Culbhouse.

The routes were put in by my neighbor.

Where are the "Draper Boulders"?

JimmyD
07-28-2006, 08:49 AM
Yep. That's redrocks. That is cool your neighbor put the routes up. It was funny, the first time my wife and I went there we were wondering what the grades were and then we saw the signs that were glued to the rock. :roflol: That is the first time I have seen anything like that at a crag and we kind of laughed at it. But then we realized just how helpful they were.

The draper boulders are all the way east on pioneer up above the houses. They are really nice in the spring and fall when it is not so hot outside. I think I have a topo somewhere if you are interested.

jumar
07-28-2006, 09:14 AM
The guy that did it is a dental anesthesiologist. So my dad and him gave the routes dental related names.
Those crazy dentist hijinks.

Iceaxe
07-28-2006, 09:28 AM
The draper boulders are all the way east on pioneer up above the houses. They are really nice in the spring and fall when it is not so hot outside. I think I have a topo somewhere if you are interested.

Sure.... send it my way if you can find it.

Those crazy dentist hijinks.

yeah... you get a couple of ROOT beers in them dentist and they are likely to do anything. :lol8:

JimmyD
07-28-2006, 09:42 AM
I noticed all of the dental terms. Not sure what some of them mean but they sound like they hurt.

Here is some of the draper boulders beta. This is the area just south of the watertower above the shoreline trail. I have heard that some people have bolted some of the cliff walls in the area but last time I was by the small cliffs they were choss.

Iceaxe
07-28-2006, 09:49 AM
Awesome.... :2thumbs:

Brian in SLC
08-02-2006, 09:28 AM
Awesome....

Not awesome.

Methinks that copyrighted material should come down.

The local guidebook authors Jeff, Mike and Marc probably wouldn't appreciate seeing their hard work copied onto the 'net.

Buy their guidebook, the Bouldering Guide to Utah. Stay away from lessor quality guides there were done by non local folk.

I'm not sure you'd like folks putting up your stuff on the 'net, Shane.

Please remove it.

-Brian in SLC

JimmyD
08-02-2006, 10:29 AM
Actually, Jeff already posted it because it was not filled in for the guidebook. I felt that if he already posted it, it is not a violation to repost it here. However, if any of the authors of that amazing guidebook have a problem with it, I will take it down immediately.

Iceaxe
08-02-2006, 12:19 PM
I think I'm with Brian on this.... putting together a guidebook is hard work.

If the information is found in a guidebook I would prefer to see a reference to the book where the info can be found. Maybe something like it's found in this book on this page. I have noo problem paying for good information.

I don't know the history or anything about the above info so I can't comment on the specific piece. If the author has placed it in the public domain that's anther story. If not a reference to where to find the info is cool with me.

:popcorn:

JimmyD
08-02-2006, 01:21 PM
I removed the image. I was nervous when first posting it but i figured if one of the authors posted it... :ne_nau:

I didn't think that it was a problem and was going to reference the thread that I found it in last week but it appears the link is now dead. I am assuming this means someone does not want it posted over here. I am sorry if this upset anyone.

I understand that putting together that guidebook must have taken some serious work and I am sure all of those involved in its creation are not getting paid anywhere near what they deserve for the effort involved in it's creation. I definitely should have made a reference to where it came from. I do own the guidebook and am very impressed with its depth of coverage in so many areas throughout Utah. I would recommend it to anyone but I would imagine every climber in the state owns it (everyone I know does).

I know some of the guys with the FA's in draper and they were a little upset about the guidebook but that is something else that I don't want to get into.

Again, I am sorry for posting the information. I know there were many that pitched in that may be upset.

Lesson learned! Thanks for keeping me in check.

Iceaxe
08-02-2006, 04:29 PM
Its cool.... we appreciate having you around. :2thumbs:

You are obviously one of the good guys. :bud:

Brian in SLC
08-03-2006, 06:46 AM
I removed the image.

Put 'er back up.

From Jeff, "Sounds like some good guys on that forum. As far as the Draper boulder problems go, yes they can show the image on the site. Something happened to the book and it was left out, so i posted it on utahclimbers.com for people to get the info. If its on the uu...site, that's helps fill it in for people as well."

From the Jeffe himself...

Cheers!

-Brian in SLC

price1869
08-03-2006, 07:51 AM
The whole guide book is also posted on rc.com. It's no secret, but I do suggest buying the book if you like to boulder. It's an excelent guide.

Iceaxe
08-03-2006, 07:56 AM
Thanks Jimmy
Thanks Brian

Here is the map back up. :2thumbs:

marc olivares
08-03-2006, 08:58 AM
wow, Jeff sounds like a really decent guy.
Very cool!
i also have his bouldering guide, and can say that it's a damn nice book!
for anyone interested in bouldering this is a muct have guide.
piles and piles of great beta.
i would imagine it would have been a tremendous amount af work to compile.
:2thumbs:

Iceaxe
08-03-2006, 09:18 AM
Do you know how to make a small fortune writing a guidebook???
Start with a large fortune :lol8:

Brian in SLC
08-03-2006, 11:06 AM
The whole guide book is also posted on rc.com. It's no secret,.

Not seen it.

You know its close to 400 pages...

There is some stuff on the evil Dr. Topo website.

Where is the guidebook on rockclimbing.com?

-Brian in SLC

JimmyD
08-03-2006, 01:08 PM
I had a feeling this would come back up. I thought about it when I went climbing last night and I figured they would want to get that page out there for people who own the guide to see, since the book left the numbers out. I have had a couple friends borrow my book so they can fill theirs in.

It really is an amazing guidebook. Everytime I open it and think about how much time it must have taken i feel serious respect for the guys that put it all together.

If you like to boulder and you think that you know where everything is, buy the book and think again. I can only think of a couple good places that aren't in this book, but this state is huge and not everything should be covered by a guidebook.

price1869
08-04-2006, 06:26 AM
The whole guide book is also posted on rc.com. It's no secret,.

Not seen it.

You know its close to 400 pages...

There is some stuff on the evil Dr. Topo website.

Where is the guidebook on rockclimbing.com?

-Brian in SLC

Sorry, That wasn't entirely true. Just the little cottonwood and some other SLC stuff is posted. Look in the routes at SLC. It's in there somewhere.

Price

price1869
08-04-2006, 06:34 AM
http://www.drtopo.com/utah/littlecottonwood.pdf

That link is in the LCC area.

Price

neumannbruce
09-15-2006, 10:39 AM
Does the new Sandy Gym have Cracks?

Real Gyms have cracks!