PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report Abajo Peak

rockgremlin
07-19-2006, 05:03 PM
On Sunday, I took a little drive up to the highest peak in the Abajo Mountains - Abajo Peak, at 11,360 feet. I was hoping to do a little hiking, but since there's a dirt road that goes all of the way to the top, I drove it instead. The road gets a little scary in spots, and there's a cluster of radio towers at the summit. Here's a few pics...

R
07-20-2006, 07:23 AM
I have been interested in getting up there for years. My son and I simply didn't have time when we were in Monticello in June. Is the drive suitable with a passenger car, or do you need 4WD?

As far as ATC equipment is concerned, as a pilot I can tell you that if a navaid is down, you just use another one. I don't know what kind of navaid is on Abajo Peak - it doesn't appear on my VFR sectional. Maybe it's that new CIA/United Nations relocation system for rounding up agitators after the revolution. :ne_nau:

rockgremlin
07-20-2006, 08:15 AM
A passenger car could definitely make it. Its a little dicey in spots, but overall its really not a bad road -- just kind of narrow in the most steep parts!

Cirrus2000
07-28-2006, 12:05 AM
As far as ATC equipment is concerned, as a pilot I can tell you that if a navaid is down, you just use another one. I don't know what kind of navaid is on Abajo Peak - it doesn't appear on my VFR sectional.

I'm guessing it's not a navaid - communications instead. Probably an RCO (Remote Communications Outlet) or an RTR (Remote Transmitter/Receiver). They're how you talk to a controller or flight service station located a great distance from the ground station. Depending on the type of service provided through the ground station, it may not be critical for flight safety. </aviation geekery>