PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report Buckskin 7/18

blueskies
07-19-2006, 11:58 AM
Buckskin -

Looking forward to a leisurely 2 day hike through Buckskin/Paria, our shuttle ($70) drops us at the Wirepass trailhead at 12 noon. A flash flood came through the area on July 7th, and it had 10 days of July heat to dry out the canyon. 50 feet into Wirepass we had mud. Mud through most of Wirepass, Buckskin, and about a mile of the Paria. Some write ups will talk of no water or mud for about 5 or 6 miles, but we had it the entire way. If muddy, you might plan on another 3 or more hours going through.

Buckskin may be the longest slot canyon in the world (14 miles?). Like most great canyons, it has its own feel and its own unique challenges. There are no raps, and no technical gear needed (a walking stick was a huge plus for both of us on this hike), and yet the canyon is a challenge; a challenge of endurance. For miles there are frequent stops for pictures of yet another spectacular room or stretch of pools. Later you go for miles in more beautiful areas without taking any photos.

We saw an owl, a young rattlesnake (in the mud waiting for us) and lots of birds.

The mud was our big challenge. I thought I'd be unique and cool by hiking barefooted - which I did for almost the entire route! It was much better that way in the mud. About 10 minutes after I took my shoes off, I could tell that the only group to go before us since the flood had 2 people going barefoot! The big rocks were ok, but the tiny gravel areas were a painful and slow effort to get through. My partner wore her sandals, but the mud caked on and not only added a large weight to her feet, but made the straps on the back rake over her ankle and beat up her skin quite a bit.

We reached the junction of Buckskin and the Paria at about 8 pm the second day. Then we heard thunder. We started hiking quickly and watched the lightning and clouds build. At about 10 pm it was real black, raining and lots of blowing wind and sand. We couldn't go any further since we couldn't see more than 15 feet in front of us with lamps. So, another night on the trail! At 6 am we got up in blue skies and finished the last 2 hours in relatively cool temps before the day's heat built from the Sun.

We didn't really enjoy the last 1/4 of the hike very much because the canyon had won - we were beat and tired. Now, with more memories than pain, the pleasure from the hike is coming back. But it may be a while before I am psyched up again to do the Buckskin ........

Blue Skies and Muddy Feet!

rockgremlin
07-19-2006, 01:15 PM
Hmmmm... interesting. I always assumed Buckskin was relatively well packed, and wouldn't "mud up."

Thanks for the report! :five:

Iceaxe
07-19-2006, 01:30 PM
Dang.... if my partner was as hot as yours it might take me a week to get through Buckskin. :haha:

Isn't noon getting a very late start? We are always hiking by 7 or 8 am when doing Buckskin.

Nice report.... need a few more pics :nod:

accadacca
07-19-2006, 02:23 PM
Cool...:cool2:

It looks like your partner could be using an otter box. I have one for my camera and they work great. :2thumbs:

Sombeech
07-19-2006, 04:16 PM
Cool pics. Got any more?

blueskies
07-19-2006, 09:44 PM
More Pics - Miles of mud; the snake was waiting for us in someone's mud/footprint; we heard several owls, but only 'caught' this one ....

Iceaxe
07-20-2006, 06:56 AM
I've done Buckskin about a dozen times and I've always found at least one rattlesnake, sometimes several. They are usually these little fellas that are banned at the trail. Not sure exactly what type they are. We always find the snake in the upper section of Buckskin, usually above Middle Trail.

I have done the canyon when it had chest deep wading but never with the mud it looks like you guys had.

:popcorn:

JimmyD
07-20-2006, 08:26 AM
That looks rough!

I did Buckskin a while back and there were just a couple points where we had to hold our packs above our heads and wade.

I like it that you decided to go barefoot. I like being barefoot in the mud.