PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report Westwater canyon - Colorado River

Alex
07-18-2006, 06:16 AM
Sunday night I got a call about a spot available on a Westwater canyon for Monday morning. It took me about 5 seconds to decide :2thumbs: and at 3:00 AM I was on my way down to Price to meet up with the rest.

The flow was about 4,700 cfs, in our group we had 5 boats, one of those was a paddle boat (I am in it).

This is the equipment I have used. It sure looks like a special ed helmet, but I think it served it's purpose :naughty:

http://utahbp.com/album01/IMG_1375

The videos are here:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6193510857478246212
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4395593025705479244
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-40472024601627856
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=68176095480347800
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8261807800304006564

Sombeech
07-18-2006, 09:06 AM
Very cool! Those videos were great. It's about time somebody gives us some helmet cam footage on the river. :cool2:

So, tell me about your camera and helmet mount. I suppose you just kept the camera in video mode, and just reached up to push the button when you were coming to some rapids?

Alex
07-18-2006, 09:27 AM
That's exactly what I did. I bought a tripod head from Inkleys and mounted it into the existing holes on my helmet with some screws from Home Depot. It stayed very stable and was very easy to adjust the view where the camera was looking.

And yes, I just reached up and turned it on, on my camera it was easy to switch to Pictures or Movies, so I was able to switch to Pictures mode and just look at the direction i wanted to take a pic and it turned out pretty good.

Sombeech
07-18-2006, 09:41 AM
So, what kind of camera do you have? Did you have @ 2GB card?

accadacca
07-18-2006, 09:54 AM
That was AWESOME dude! :getiton: Thanks for filming and letting us see...just rad ass stuff. :rockit:

Alex
07-18-2006, 10:14 AM
Glad you liked it, you know I was thinking of uutah all the way down the river. The reason I made the cam mount :2thumbs:

Just think of possibilities.... biking, canyoneering, etc. :nod:

Sombeech
07-18-2006, 10:26 AM
Glad you liked it, you know I was thinking of uutah all the way down the river. The reason I made the cam mount :2thumbs:

Just think of possibilities.... biking, canyoneering, etc. :nod:

:lol8: welcome to the club. uutah has become the REASON for getting outdoors.

Alex
07-18-2006, 10:51 AM
:lol8: welcome to the club. uutah has become the REASON for getting outdoors.

:haha: true true...nothing like showing off your pics to someone who appreciates it. I show it to my computer geek and coworkers and all they can say is "cool, but I got a mace of vanquishing +1 last night in World of Warcraft"....nothing like wasting your life away.

anyways, back to the topic... since you did your own helmcam, what do you think of this design?

Sombeech
07-18-2006, 11:02 AM
since you did your own helmcam, what do you think of this design?

That's pretty good! It seems like it's rock solid. I'm assuming it's a waterproof camera.

In fact, you could do the same thing with a camcorder (except the waterproof part), you could just reach up and hit the "record" button when something was coming up. I would be doing that on bike rides, but I still crash too much, so I had to go with a "crush proof" helmet cam.

But your design seems like it's perfect.

Alex
07-18-2006, 11:28 AM
Ya on the bike it would be tougher, especially when you crash. This was made with whitewater in mind, so even if I crash (fell out), all I have is water to fight, not the ground.

Sombeech
07-31-2006, 09:34 PM
Hey, did you feel that wingnut at all on the inside of your helmet? I may try this on a few things. I'm even looking at a waterproof case for my camera.

http://images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_US/images/products/7264/7264284_sa.jpg

fouristhenewone
08-24-2006, 12:17 PM
You happen to know the brand of tripod you bought? I'm interested in working out something like that for mountain bikling.

Alex
08-24-2006, 12:55 PM
Hey, did you feel that wingnut at all on the inside of your helmet? I may try this on a few things. I'm even looking at a waterproof case for my camera.

Not at all dude, I even hit my head hard on the side of the boat....

Alex
08-24-2006, 12:56 PM
You happen to know the brand of tripod you bought? I'm interested in working out something like that for mountain bikling.

You know, I don't remember anymore, I just got the smallest tripod head at Inkley's on state and 21st.

Sombeech
12-13-2006, 10:09 PM
I found this cool video from the shore of Westwater.

Although, the video's short, but still cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfhl2F_3-_o

soitgos
01-01-2007, 02:57 PM
Here's another short video of running Skull Hole . . .

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3899806752363077845

tanya
01-01-2007, 03:17 PM
Whoa!!!! I am sea sick! I am doing that in March.... looks scarey... lots of screams!!!!

soitgos
01-01-2007, 03:29 PM
I love paddle boats in Westwater Canyon. The water can be pretty cold in March. Brrrrr . . .

tanya
01-01-2007, 03:31 PM
I love paddle boats in Westwater Canyon. The water can be pretty cold in March. Brrrrr . . .

That's what I am afraid of.... but who is going to turn down an invite to spend 2 weeks in the Grand Canyon on the river. :five:

soitgos
01-01-2007, 03:37 PM
Ahhh . . . I thought you were talking about Westwater Canyon. The water in the GC is much colder. Comes off the bottom of the reservoir. But, the weather should be a little warmer. Have you done the GC before?

tanya
01-01-2007, 03:43 PM
Ahhh . . . I thought you were talking about Westwater Canyon. The water in the GC is much colder. Comes off the bottom of the reservoir. But, the weather should be a little warmer. Have you done the GC before?

Nope.. .first time doing anything like this. I am a hiker and have hiked on the North Rim side quite a bit. I went kayaking in Zion last summer. That was a blast!

soitgos
01-01-2007, 03:49 PM
It's the trip of a lifetime, but be prepared. The water at Lee's Ferry is about 45 degrees. My trip this year is in August/September and I'm still taking neoprene.

tanya
01-01-2007, 03:56 PM
It's the trip of a lifetime, but be prepared. The water at Lee's Ferry is about 45 degrees. My trip this year is in August/September and I'm still taking neoprene.

My partner and I are hiking in at Phantom Ranch then out at Whitmore Wash because he cannot be gone the whole 4 Weeks. Does that make it better? We are going March 10th until April 1st. I think we have some dry suits for the trip. I cannot imagine sitting around in my 5mm Wet Suit for 2 weeks. Any more tips! I am a newbie at this!

soitgos
01-01-2007, 04:13 PM
I've probably got more tips than you want. I've been doing this for 30 years. Hmmm . . . not sure I should have admitted that. The water temperature increases about one degree every 20 miles, maybe less at that time of year. I would definitely wear a drysuit in March. On warm weather trips we just wear neoprene for the big rapids, then take it off. The other thing I would suggest is take warm clothes for camp and waterproof shoes, but being an outdoor person, I'm sure you know all that. A sleeping bag with liners is better than a very cold bag, since the temperature can vary significantly. Then find the best boatman and ask if you can ride with her/him . :naughty:

Are you flying out at Whitmore? You can log onto the River Runners for Wilderness website and order the GC orientation video, free of charge. That could be a good introduction for you. www.rrfw.org

BTW, if anyone is doing a cold weather river trip, I have drysuits available.

tanya
01-01-2007, 04:20 PM
I've probably got more tips than you want. I've been doing this for 30 years. Hmmm . . . not sure I should have admitted that. The water temperature increases about one degree every 20 miles, maybe less at that time of year. I would definitely wear a drysuit in March. On warm weather trips we just wear neoprene for the big rapids, then take it off. The other thing I would suggest is take warm clothes for camp and waterproof shoes, but being an outdoor person, I'm sure you know all that. A sleeping bag with liners is better than a very cold bag, since the temperature can vary significantly. Then find the best boatman and ask if you can ride with her/him . :naughty:

Are you flying out at Whitmore? You can log onto the River Runners for Wilderness website and order the GC orientation video, free of charge. That could be a good introduction for you. www.rrfw.org

BTW, if anyone is doing a cold weather river trip, I have drysuits available.

Few men are attractive unless they are over 45 (The guys on this group are the exception) :naughty: I am going with a boat full of Pro's. It's a private trip and only one boat going I think. I think the guide is Monty? My hiking partner and him are friends. One guy who is probably going wrote a hiking book for hikes leading from the river. I live fairly close, being on the East side of Zion National Park, so just driving out and setting up a shuttle car-wise.

www.rrfw.org Is that Tom's site? It looks familar. I have a Grand Canyon group (yahoo group) and he posts in it. That looks like his signature on his posts. I would never watch the video. I am bad at that. I never read a trip report before going out either.. or at least read as little as I need.

soitgos
01-01-2007, 04:29 PM
Yes, that is Tom Martin's organization and I assume you're also referring to his hiking book. He also has a river guide that is the best on the market. If Tom is on the trip, I'm sure there's more than one boat. That would be very dangerous in March. The first day past Phantom (your first day on the river) you will see five of the biggest rapids you will ever see.

Make an exception and watch the video. It can answer a lot of questions you may have.

tanya
01-01-2007, 04:40 PM
Yes, that is Tom Martin's organization and I assume you're also referring to his hiking book. He also has a river guide that is the best on the market. If Tom is on the trip, I'm sure there's more than one boat. That would be very dangerous in March. The first day past Phantom (your first day on the river) you will see five of the biggest rapids you will ever see.

Make an exception and watch the video. It can answer a lot of questions you may have.

Yes, Tom Martin, but I am talking about another book. I could go over to my group and look, but I am trying to work rather than post. :lol8: Can you tell? I think this book is out of print? Oh joy!!!! I will take my motion sickness pills before climbing on board!!! :eek2:

soitgos
01-01-2007, 04:45 PM
I'm sure there are other books, but the only hiking one I'm familiar with is Tom's. What is your group? I belong to a number of email lists, but am not familiar with yours.

tanya
01-01-2007, 04:49 PM
I'm sure there are other books, but the only hiking one I'm familiar with is Tom's. What is your group? I belong to a number of email lists, but am not familiar with yours.

I looked. Larry Stevens is the author. My partner borrowed a copy of the book and I glanced at it. Does that sound familar.

soitgos
01-01-2007, 05:00 PM
Yes. Larry Stevens is a GC legend.

tanya
01-01-2007, 05:03 PM
Yes. Larry Stevens is a GC legend.

Then why had you never heard of his book :lol8:

I had only heard of Tom's too. It's not for sure he is going. I am told he has not made up his mind and I don't know him.

soitgos
01-01-2007, 05:32 PM
I guess I still don't know what book you are referring to. Has L Stevens written a hiking guide? The only L Stevens book I am familiar with is

http://www.amazon.com/Colorado-River-Grand-Canyon-Comprehensive/dp/0961167866/sr=1-1/qid=1167700736/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/105-7914412-5170843?ie=UTF8&s=books

Oops, hope that link works. That book has a lot of information, but is mostly a river guide, not a hiking guide.

If there is another, I'd appreciate the information. I'd like to get it.

tanya
01-01-2007, 05:49 PM
I guess I still don't know what book you are referring to. Has L Stevens written a hiking guide? The only L Stevens book I am familiar with is

http://www.amazon.com/Colorado-River-Grand-Canyon-Comprehensive/dp/0961167866/sr=1-1/qid=1167700736/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/105-7914412-5170843?ie=UTF8&s=books

Oops, hope that link works. That book has a lot of information, but is mostly a river guide, not a hiking guide.

If there is another, I'd appreciate the information. I'd like to get it.

I imagine that's it. Guess its not a hiking guide. :nod:

tanya
01-02-2007, 08:10 AM
I have underwater casing for my digital. I am thinking from how you describe the water on the boat I should take this. I quit using it in slot canyons because it was too dark and it made my photos blurry, but this might be perfect for this.

I am so use to paking bare essentials.. which means next to nothing. I feel funny about bringing bulky stuff. Do others?

soitgos
01-02-2007, 03:08 PM
There will certainly be under water experiences. Hopefully no out of boat experiences. :mrgreen:

GO BIG OR GO HOME!

tanya
01-02-2007, 03:18 PM
There will certainly be under water experiences. Hopefully no out of boat experiences. :mrgreen:

GO BIG OR GO HOME!

Dang I went under just in the Virgin River :lol8:
My one and only river attempt

Tucker
02-03-2007, 03:59 PM