PDA

View Full Version : Amasa Valley, House Range Utah???

James_B_Wads2000
07-17-2006, 01:37 PM
This is a question for all you ATV enthusiast, have any of you ever ridden or know someone who has ridden in the Amasa Valley (pronounced am-a-see) in the House Range west of Delta Utah?

I was out there in June of last year and there had been a number of trail markers put up. The area is crisscrossed with old mining tracks. I

RedMan
07-17-2006, 02:16 PM
James,

Utah State parks publishes a few maps. One is on that area.
I love it there. Its pretty much undiscovered country.

http://www.stateparks.utah.gov/ohv/odm.htm

The trail on this map skirts the edge of the Notch Peak WSA. Great riding.

James_B_Wads2000
07-17-2006, 03:20 PM
James,

Utah State parks publishes a few maps. One is on that area.
I love it there. Its pretty much undiscovered country.

http://www.stateparks.utah.gov/ohv/odm.htm

The trail on this map skirts the edge of the Notch Peak WSA. Great riding.

Thanks Redman! :2thumbs: I had done a web search a year ago and found nothing. I am glad they (Utah State Parks) are pimping this area. It's only one hour farther than the Little Sahara from SLC and much better. If I owned an ATV this is where I would go, no crowds.
Have you ridden the whole thing? What parts have you seen? Did you make it to the top of Pine Peak?

In 2003 I was able to take my 4Runner up trail #1 from the bottom of North Canyon almost to the end of diamond trail #2. We camped at the bottom of the #1 loop in the Amasa Valley. I tried to go back in 2005 and go epically stuck on the diamond #2 trail just off the #1 loop. It sucked, local SAR had to come out and pull me out of the 4 foot ruts I managed to get high-centered in.

RedMan
07-17-2006, 04:28 PM
Have not ridden there since the WSA was established.

Was planning to go this spring and events conspired so it will be in October now.

Notch Peak rises vertically almost 4,450 feet and is one of the highest cliffs in North America.

Any climbers in here done Notch Peak? I've been to the top, its a 3 mileish hike from the end of the road marked with the #2 and the diamond.

Think El Capitan in the desert. Sunset from there is truly a religious experience.

But for Petes sake don't tell anyone.

RedMan
07-17-2006, 04:45 PM
Wheeler Ampitheater = Great Trilobites

James_B_Wads2000
07-18-2006, 08:44 AM
Have not ridden there since the WSA was established.

Was planning to go this spring and events conspired so it will be in October now.

Notch Peak rises vertically almost 4,450 feet and is one of the highest cliffs in North America.

Any climbers in here done Notch Peak? I've been to the top, its a 3 mileish hike from the end of the road marked with the #2 and the diamond.

Think El Capitan in the desert. Sunset from there is truly a religious experience.

But for Petes sake don't tell anyone.

I have hiked to the top of Notch four times. I hike it via Sawtooth canyon. A very easy and scenic hike, in fact I would rate it in my top five favorite hikes. I have tried to hike it from the end of the #2 diamond trail two different times but never made it. In fact that is where I was hiking when I got stuck. The route from #2 has a lot of brush to push through, when the Sawtooth route is smooth sailing and veggie free.

James