PDA

View Full Version : My Backpack List

Sombeech
07-14-2006, 09:24 AM
Here is my backpacking list, to be leaving in one week. My goal is to stay at or below 45 lbs, which is 20 lbs lighter than normal. I am doing pretty good for now on reaching that goal, but hopefully somebody can point out something on my list, or absent from my list.

This will be for @5 nights, and won't include what I wear on the hike in:
1 pair pants
1 pair thin shorts
2 short sleeve shirts
1 long sleeve shirt
1 pair sandals
fishing gear
mess kit, stove, fuel, lighter
foil for cooking
camera, with lithium batteries
handgun w/ extra ammo
tent
sleeping bag
light air mattress (single)
2 empty milk jugs (for water storage)
headlamp
wet wipes
toothbrush, toothpaste
hammock ( 1.25 lbs )
day pack (camelback hawg)
100 oz bladder (7 lbs full)

Food:
10 packs dried oatmeal for breakfast
5 packs dried mashed potatoes
6 lipton chicken noodle soup bags
2 cup o noodles
POSSIBLY 2-3 Mountain House bags
2 18 oz Gatorade powder containers

I could go lighter by exchanging the air mattress for a foam pad, but dang they're comfy. I've thought about leaving a daypack home, but it will be nice to haul the fishing gear in on the day hikes.

Shan
07-14-2006, 09:45 AM
tarp for under tent?
water tablets or purifier?
sunscreen?
rain gear?
bear rope?

do you need more protein for your food? how about those foil chicken pouches? no draining and add to mashed taters and maybe a gravy pouch?
how about some midday snacks, like granola or power bars or jerky? all the food looks like mealtime food.

oh, and do you fire up the stove for lunches?

Sombeech
07-14-2006, 09:48 AM
Oops, I forgot. I've got a poncho, and I'll be bringing some sunscreen/mosquito repellant lotion.

There will be water purifiers there, but I'm still thinking of buying one. The rope will be added to the list as well.

Shan
07-14-2006, 09:51 AM
Duct tape!

accadacca
07-14-2006, 09:52 AM
Duct tape!
:naughty: What's that for?? :haha:

Shan
07-14-2006, 10:00 AM
Duct tape!
:naughty: What's that for?? :haha:
Uh, I don't know what you're thinking!

accadacca
07-14-2006, 10:12 AM
All this talk of mtn house has made me start to consider. I have never really used them much. I am always able to find things at a regular grocery store. :ne_nau:

TreeHugger
07-14-2006, 11:03 AM
OK, I'm leaving at the end of the month for 5 nights backpacking in the Cascades (Enchantment Lakes area)

I'd like my pack to be 30-35 pounds tops.

What I wont be bringing that is on your list:

~The extra pair of pants - replaced with something clean to sleep in like long johns which can also be worn under pants for cold nights.
~The fishing gear
~The gun
~The foil (although a great idea, I dont know if open fires are allowed)
~Hammock - love it though!
~Water jugs - but I like the idea, may think about that one.
~Day pack as the top of my backpack can be used as such

I will add:
~A journal/sketchbook
~A fleece for warmth and pillow
~First aid kit/emergency stuff
~Bear Canister/rope

And as mentioned: rain gear/sunscreen/water purifier and iodine in case it breaks (that happened to me at the botton of the Grand Canyon!!)

We usually do the prepackaged food for convenience with some store bought stuff thrown in. Havent gotten that all figured out yet. Always bring powdered gatorade or something similar as I get tired of plain water for so long.

Sombeech
07-14-2006, 12:04 PM
I'll tell you what, those milk jugs are awesome. They're super light when they're empty, and you just put the strap through the handle to pack them, so they don't take up space inside.

You can fill them up with water, or you can mix gatorade in them. It's nice to have them around, because they're easy to pour from, rather than pouring from your bladder.

I do like the long johns idea instead of pants though. hmmm...

stefan
07-14-2006, 12:36 PM
YMMV, but bladders and pouches are nice in many circumstances, since they are not only superlight but can be rolled up into something very small (more true for pouches, i.e. thin membrane bladders).

for me this is useful on a backpacking trip when it's clear to me that only part of the trip will be waterless and on the other parts i can easily stash the pouches out of the way. they're also nice if you are going hiking and want to get water on the way back to bring to camp, since they don't take too much space. but all this is resting on the fact that i can't stand things that take up too much space unnecessarily ... but again YMMV.

milkjugs on the other hand ... i met one guy in the buckskin gulch once, who was on the very final leg of his trip on the Arizona trail, which goes from mexico to utah, and he was continuing to page after the buckskin and lower paria (what a hike :2thumbs:) .... anyhow, he said at one point in arizona he was going to be 5 days without water and packing up a mountain, so he had 5 one-gallon milkjugs additionally tied to the outside of his pack, which he shlepped across the desert. one thing he mentioned was that the handles of these jugs was strong enough to make this less of a problem. kudos

Sombeech
07-14-2006, 11:06 PM
YMMV,
Sorry man, what does that stand for again?

Alex
07-15-2006, 07:31 AM
One thing I always pack with me is Crazy Creek PowerLounger Air, I got mine for 35 bucks at REI. It goes over your existing matress, so you don't have to haul it seperatly and you get a comfy camp chair to sit on.

Also, you might want to bring a GPS, spare batteries for both gps and camera. I'd recommend getting Jungle Juice from REI. I have the older kind with 98% deet and that stuff works wonders against mosquitos.

I also bring zip off pants, then you have shorts and pants in one package.

accadacca
07-15-2006, 09:25 AM
Yup, good idea on the zip off pants...those will be in my pack. I also don

DickHead
07-15-2006, 09:43 AM
Duct tape!

Duct tape is good, but electrical tape will do almost anything that duct tape will do, and comes in a smaller roll.

Alex
07-15-2006, 11:48 AM
Plus electrical tape is smaller and lighter, and it doesn't leave the glue crap all over.

stefan
07-17-2006, 12:07 PM
YMMV,

your mileage may vary

i assume you're asking to be friendly in conversation, since a google search will instantaneously bring it up. i tend not to use these acronyms much, but it seemed appropriate here, since everyone's experience and needs are different.

it seems like gallon jugs would be of great, longer term value if their caps were more secure, say like 2 liter bottles. of course 2 liter bottles don't have handles ... is there a happy medium?

cachehiker
07-17-2006, 12:32 PM
I haven't heard any mention of toilet paper or a trowel. Do you look for Mullein leaves or just hold it for 5 days? Damn, that hurts just thinking about it.

Anyhow, instead of something like a milk jug, I've always carried one or two collapsible platypus reservoirs:
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?memberId=12500226&productId=99398
and stuffed them inside the pack when they aren't needed. I hate having things outside the pack snag on a branch or whatever else. I therefore strive to keep things a little more compact.

stefan
07-17-2006, 12:37 PM
I I've always carried one or two collapsible platypus reservoirs:
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?memberId=12500226&productId=99398
and stuffed them inside the pack when they aren't needed.

yeah, this is what i was referring to as "pouches" instead of bladders. i use the 2 and 3 liter ones without handles. they seem quite sturdy and don't seem to have to much of a leaking problem. good stuff :2thumbs:

but you'll pay for it. i don't mind, since they're important to me, but i do know that many folks would rather not pay and simply resuse something they've already bought ... which i must say is a GREAT idea :mrgreen:

Sombeech
07-17-2006, 02:59 PM
YMMV,

your mileage may vary

ahh, ok. Thanks.

As for the milk jugs, they're not technically MILK containers. We'll buy the jugs full of distilled water at WalMart. I think they're under a buck each. We'll take that water, and fill up our bladders at the trailhead. Then, we're just bringing 2 empty jugs up the trail. They are super easy to fill up, and even easier to pour.

The collapseable ones are a good idea, and they are light. But when it comes to filling them up, sometimes you have to have one hand on them just to stabilize them, or hold the opening upright. Then when your pouring them, the bigger ones are just monstrous and hard to keep elevated.

stefan
07-17-2006, 04:10 PM
The collapseable ones are a good idea, and they are light. But when it comes to filling them up, sometimes you have to have one hand on them just to stabilize them, or hold the opening upright. Then when your pouring them, the bigger ones are just monstrous and hard to keep elevated.

true. the 2,3 liter ones are a little bit more stable to prop against one's leg and they don't seem to flop around TOO much. when i am filling them with a water filter, i don't have anything at the end of it, so a good part of the tube is sitting inside the platapus. i haven't needed the other hand except for certain moments, but i definitely admit, having the jugs is a lot easier than balancing the bag. but i wasn't trying to convince you either, though it may have sounded like it. i only was indicating my preference and why.

cheers!

Sombeech
07-17-2006, 09:45 PM
but i wasn't trying to convince you either, though it may have sounded like it. i only was indicating my preference and why.

cheers!

No prob. :2thumbs: Shagster is actually going up with a 5 gallon collapseable jug, so we'll see how he does.

Sombeech
07-18-2006, 10:03 PM
I just bought some 100% DEET, and a head net. That should keep 'em away.

I'm pondering a fillet knife... I dunno yet. I'm going to cook all of my fish in foil on the fire. It would be nice to just cook the meat.

packfish
07-19-2006, 07:36 AM
I like using the bladders that come inside the wine boxes. They roll up, light weight and have a tap on them. I have taken those mesh bags we all have around and cut a whole and plastic wire tied it off so you can hang them on a tree in camp.

shagster
07-19-2006, 01:48 PM
Where did you get your 100% deet? I looked everywhere I could think of and could not find anything over 25%.

Sombeech
07-19-2006, 04:03 PM
Where did you get your 100% deet? I looked everywhere I could think of and could not find anything over 25%.

Sportsman's warehouse in Riverdale. It's Muskol brand $4.99

R
07-20-2006, 07:49 AM
My wife is totally sold on the sports drink thing - she carries one water bottle and one bottle with a Gatorade type drink in it - and claims it makes a big difference in her endurance.

Also, may I ask why you want to bring a sidearm? If you are not hunting, it adds quite a bit of weight.

-R

KillEmAll
07-20-2006, 07:53 AM

Just saw some last night at Walmart for $3.89.

KillEmAll
07-20-2006, 07:56 AM
My wife is totally sold on the sports drink thing - she carries one water bottle and one bottle with a Gatorade type drink in it - and claims it makes a big difference in her endurance.

Also, may I ask why you want to bring a sidearm? If you are not hunting, it adds quite a bit of weight.

-R

Bears! Although the pistol might just piss 'em off even more. That's why I'm packing in my 12 guage. :lol8:

Sombeech
07-20-2006, 08:08 AM

Really? The highest I saw there was 37%, and it had the "extreme outdoors" quote on it :roll: Where did you find it?

R
07-20-2006, 08:08 AM
The only handgun even remotely capable of discouraging a bear would be a .357 magnum or .44 magnum, and those things weigh a ton.

Sombeech
07-20-2006, 08:23 AM
The only handgun even remotely capable of discouraging a bear would be a .357 magnum or .44 magnum, and those things weigh a ton.

Yeah, I'll be bringing my .380 up, and there will be about 3 other firearms up there too.

KillEmAll
07-20-2006, 11:47 AM

Really? The highest I saw there was 37%, and it had the "extreme outdoors" quote on it :roll: Where did you find it?

Just to the right of the "extreme". It was the one in Riverdale.

jinx
07-29-2006, 06:21 PM
well its not like you have to take the whole roll of duct tape, just wrap it around the pen that you should be carrying with you anyways. put a thick wad around that and it will be easier to write with when your hands are cold and numb too.

Sombeech
07-29-2006, 06:43 PM
well its not like you have to take the whole roll of duct tape, just wrap it around the pen that you should be carrying with you anyways. put a thick wad around that and it will be easier to write with when your hands are cold and numb too.

We ended up using just a little duct tape. Shad bought a collapseable jug that had some holes in it, and they weren't the air vent holes either.

All together we packed some good stuff. Here is a link to the Trip Report:
http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3099

Sombeech
08-01-2006, 09:03 PM
Changes to the list for next time.

Regarding food, I will NOT take my complete mess kit, I will only bring the pot for boiling water. The plate, pan, and cup can stay home.

I will only eat food that has no clean up, such as cup o noodles, Mountain House, and breakfast bars. I hated adding water to my oatmeal, potatoes, or anything else and then cleaning off the plate for later use.

Eat, and burn the container. No dishes. That's the plan next time.

moabfool
08-02-2006, 12:06 PM

Or wrap some around your Nalgene bottle.

Backpacker Magazine recently tested various brands of duct tape. All performed about equally when dry, but Gorilla Tape is the only one that didn't lose its adhesive properties when wet. Something to consider when using duct tape as a blister preventative.

Brian in SLC
08-02-2006, 03:14 PM

A ton being 2000 lbs.

I note that S&W makes several models of .357 that clock in between 12 and 19 ounces.

Seem like you could get a .44 mag down to around 26 ounces.

That'd be a bit less than a ton.

A friend of mine's brother killed the Montana state record black bear with a .22 a few year's back. Also knew a guy that killed one with a 9mm. Not recommended, but, just sayin'....

There's more model hand cannons out there than you can shake a can of pepper spray at. .454, .460, .500, etc etc. Anyone ever shot one of them BFR's in .45-70? Yikes.

-Brian in SLC (who covets a mountainlite in .357)

moabfool
08-02-2006, 03:52 PM
A friend of mine's brother killed the Montana state record black bear with a .22 a few year's back.

A real 22 (22 long rifle or a 22 magnum) like kids take plinkin', or a 22-250 which is a high-velocity round used for hunting big game? Old Ephraim was brought down by a .25-35, not much bigger than a .22-250.

http://library.usu.edu/Specol/ephraim.html

accadacca
08-02-2006, 04:19 PM
I brought one of these with me: S&W .357 Mag Long - 7 shooter

Bring on them baaaarss... :cool2:

http://www.fusil-calais.com/a_data/prods_img/B364.gif

JimmyD
08-03-2006, 01:52 PM
I don't see the point of bringing a gun for bears unless you hope to kill a bear. I have been backpacking in the Wind Rivers many times and I have seen plenty of bears but i have never needed a gun. For me they are just large pests. :frustrated:

On one trip we had them going through our camp every night. You are fine as long as you don't have food in your tent. But I must admit it was a little intimidating when they would brush by your tent.

We put our food on top of a big boulder and they couldn't get at it. One morning we woke up and had a mother that had sent her two cubs up a tree next to the boulder and they were trying to get at the food. We all just stood there and watched about sixty feet away. eventually they just gave up and left.

My most violent encounter in the backcountry was actually with a moose.

Sombeech
08-03-2006, 02:21 PM
My fear of bears disappeared after the second night. It then turned to wolves.

If I saw a bear that wasn't afraid of me, I wouldn't shoot it. I would shoot up in the air to scare it away. ... if it wasn't afraid of me.

Plus, we had some fun shooting targets. That's enough reason to bring a gun for me.

JimmyD
08-03-2006, 02:58 PM
Don't get me wrong, I love me some guns. I have just never thought about needing them for bears. Now that I say this I am probably going to get attacked next time I'm up there. :lol8:

I am starting to get a little off subject but I have heard that if you are confronted by a wolf pack, the best way to avoid being attacked and eaten (assuming you don't have a gun) is to get loud and aggressive and start jumping around and throwing things. They say that they won't attack if they see a possibility of being hurt themselves.

Has anyone else heard this? or is this a bunch of BS :ne_nau:

Sombeech
08-03-2006, 03:34 PM
I have heard that if you are confronted by a wolf pack, the best way to avoid being attacked and eaten (assuming you don't have a gun) is to get loud and aggressive and start jumping around and throwing things.

I'll just pack my fighting gloves next time. Don't mess with the red white and blue.

http://uutah.com/forum/files/img_2244__small_.jpg

accadacca
08-03-2006, 03:53 PM
I'll just pack my fighting gloves next time. Don't mess with the red white and blue.
:lol8: :lol8: :lol8:

paraAdams
08-03-2006, 04:13 PM
Don't get me wrong, I love me some guns. I have just never thought about needing them for bears. Now that I say this I am probably going to get attacked next time I'm up there. :lol8:

I am starting to get a little off subject but I have heard that if you are confronted by a wolf pack, the best way to avoid being attacked and eaten (assuming you don't have a gun) is to get loud and aggressive and start jumping around and throwing things. They say that they won't attack if they see a possibility of being hurt themselves.

Has anyone else heard this? or is this a bunch of BS :ne_nau:

I once took a wolf seminar while on vacation in Alaska, the Wolf expert said that there is not a single documented case of a person ever being attacked by a pack of wolves any where in the world. He said people think wolves are very dangerous because they are portrayed that way in movies.

When we got home, I tried to research this supposed fact, and as of yet I haven't ever heard or read of a person being attacked or even killed by a wolf pack.

Lone wolves on the other hand are more dangerous, and that is usually because they are starving to death (literally).

JimmyD
08-03-2006, 04:16 PM
:lol8:

I'll bet you could just punch the ground with those bad boys and the shock wave will send all the critters running in fear. Run them through the waters and all the fish will jump out and submit to you. :hail2thechief: I'll bet they are so hot you can cook with them too.

I think that you should change your backpacking list to:

1. Badass gloves.

And that's all you need.

JimmyD
08-03-2006, 04:19 PM
I once took a wolf seminar while on vacation in Alaska, the Wolf expert said that there is not a single documented case of a person ever being attacked by a pack of wolves any where in the world. He said people think wolves are very dangerous because they are portrayed that way in movies.

Yeah. Now that I think of it, wasn't there a documentary where someone went and studied some wolves and found that there main source of food was rodents?