PDA

View Full Version : Poison Ivy Hall of Fame Gallery

stefan
07-13-2006, 01:32 PM
The following link takes you to a gallery of some intense reactions to poison ivy ... view at your own risk :ahhh:

poison ivy gallery (http://www.poison-ivy.org/rash/index.htm)

marc olivares
07-13-2006, 02:15 PM
ewe, that's yucky....

Scott P
07-13-2006, 02:19 PM
I hate to admit it, but I actually get it worse than those photos. I'm still suffering from the rash I got last May. It's been two months now, and I'm getting sick of it. I'm super sensitive to the plant. :cry:

stefan
07-13-2006, 02:21 PM
I hate to admit it, but I actually get it worse than those photos. I'm still suffering from the rash I got last May. It's been two months now, and I'm getting sick of it. I'm super sensitive to the plant. :cry:

oh man, scott, you serious? that's :lame:

TreeHugger
07-13-2006, 02:25 PM
Yikes!

I've never had it and I've been exposed pretty heavily to it. Lucky me!

Scott - keep a little bottle of dish soap with you when you're outdoors. If you get exposed, rub the soap on the area as soon as possible, straight - dont dilute it. It's worked for many I've known. (have you ever tried this?) Supposedly it neutralized the ivy acids or whatever.

I was doing an adventure race one time and the check point turned out to be on the other side of a knee deep patch of poison ivy. (We, unfortunately, ended up on the wrong side of the island and it was go through or go back around) We rinsed off in the lake and then then when we got back we did the soap trip, neither of us broke out.

chickenlicken
07-13-2006, 02:39 PM
That's why I don't wear shorts!!

stefan
07-13-2006, 02:58 PM
well, what prompted this was an article/paper i read (link below)... new science just published last month.

it suggests that an increase CO2 can cause poison ivy to become more prevalent
and more allergenic. the next stage of the work is to combine the additional effects
of longer growing season and increased nitrogen resources, conditions associated with
global warming, to see what *may* be in store for us ...

poison ivy & CO2 (http://www.mbl.edu/inside/what/news/features/feature_ivy.html)

Scott P
07-13-2006, 03:02 PM
oh man, scott, you serious?

Unfortunately, I'm totally serious.

Scott - keep a little bottle of dish soap with you when you're outdoors.

Thanks, I'll have to try that.

TreeHugger
07-14-2006, 06:55 AM
[quote="stefan"] conditions associated with
global warming, to see what *may* be in store for us ...

quote]

:nono:
Now, you know global warming doesnt exit and certainly any warming of the globe isnt associated with man's impact. I mean really, poison ivy due to global warming??! What next?? :cool:

Actually, very interesting!

Sombeech
07-14-2006, 10:26 PM
SHEHATT! ouch. :eek2:

poisonoakcure
03-23-2011, 10:31 AM
awww.. this is really awfull.. i got scared after looking on it.. but believe me that i can cure this thing ASAP.
hope you want to know how i can cure this ?

poisonoakcure
03-23-2011, 10:34 AM
awww.. this is really awfull.. i got scared after looking on it.. but believe me that i can cure this thing ASAP.
hope you want to know how i can cure this ?
you can check here.. poison oak treatment (http://www.poisonoakcure.net/)

blueeyes
03-23-2011, 10:52 AM
:lol8:

ststephen
03-23-2011, 11:00 AM
Unfortunately, I'm totally serious.

Thanks, I'll have to try that.

I strongly recommend Tecnu as being much better than soap. I keep some in my truck and have extra bottles back home. Soap doesn't break down and dissolve the poison oak/ivy oil. This stuff works miracles, if you use it immediately. My son is suffering right now from a MTB crash through poison oak :cry1:

Link to Tecnu web site (http://www.teclabsinc.com/store/poison-oak-ivy/tecnu)

canyonphile
03-23-2011, 11:14 AM
Our backyard in CT was covered with poison ivy vines! That stuff is tenacious. It was my duty to go out and clear it out of there, and I'd put on jeans, a long-sleeved shirt, rubber gloves and go to town pulling it up where I could see it. I used Roundup spray designed for poison ivy to get rid of it between physical pullings. I managed to avoid any contact with it, which is rather amazing.

Another problem is that if your dog runs through a patch of poison ivy, the urushiol oils from the plant will get on the fur and can be transferred right to you. You do have a short window of time after direct contact to remove the oils (by using concentrated soap and hot water) before the chemical binds with I believe the mast cells in your skin to produce a dermatitis that ranges from mildly annoying to severe enough to require hospitalization. It actually causes an immune reaction. Back in my days as a medical resident in the acute care clinic, we'd often put patients on Medrol dose packs (oral steroids, on a tapered dose) who had severe reactions to poison ivy. With the huge blisters that can form, secondary infection is always a concern as well.

Nasty stuff. It does look very attractive in fall colors, though...

blueeyes
03-23-2011, 11:44 AM
My son is suffering right now from a MTB crash through poison oak :cry1:

Link to Tecnu web site (http://www.teclabsinc.com/store/poison-oak-ivy/tecnu)

OUCH!

zzyzx
03-23-2011, 12:56 PM
... puh, I've seen this plant - but never the reaction on humans.

stefan
03-24-2011, 09:56 AM
wow resurrecting an old thread. i forgot how hideous those images were

blueeyes
03-24-2011, 10:31 AM
wow resurrecting an old thread. i forgot how hideous those images were

That is what I was laughing at!! This thread is ancient and the pics miserable.

My aunt and uncle had a pair of pet sheep once when my cousins and I were young (8-14). The sheep must have walked through the poison ivy. After my cousin fed and petted the cute little sheep she had a severe poison ivy reaction! It was awful!!! She was miserable for weeks! She had shorts on and the leaned up against her so her legs, hands and arms were blistered. Plus she rubbed her eyes. I didn't think they were so cute after that.

REDFOX
03-30-2011, 06:25 PM
I 've come in contact with poison ivy twice while I was living in Missouri. Both times I was repairing a barbed wire fence. After getting the rash the second time, I began to be more conscious of the plant. We burned or used roundup on any plants that we found. I quit mountain biking some of the Park city trails because of all of the stinging nettle that I seemed to brush up against.

Felicia
03-30-2011, 07:47 PM
OMG - I'm so not liking this poison oak!!! Just when you think it is gross, it gets worse and still itches. YUCK!

ratagonia
03-31-2011, 08:33 AM
(by using concentrated soap and hot water)

Hot water not recommended. Warm = as cold as you can stand. Hot water opens up your pores, allowing the oil to penetrate. Penetration not so good.

T :moses:

zzyzx
03-31-2011, 10:40 AM
What did you prefer, the Soap or the Outdoor Skin Cleanser.
...and yes cold water is a must :2thumbs:

Felicia
03-31-2011, 11:29 AM
I had no reason to believe that I had contact with the poison oak. It took 6 days for the rash to start. Within two hours of the areas becoming irritated, I got a full blown rash and the itch was incredible!

mrbrejcha
03-31-2011, 06:33 PM
:0)

accadacca
04-02-2011, 04:52 PM
:haha: