PDA

View Full Version : Any plans?

Alex
07-11-2006, 07:27 AM
So any plans for a trip to "Take uutah canoyneering newbies out" yet?

Iceaxe
07-11-2006, 05:11 PM
How about someone around here.... Adopt a Newbie!!!

I'm kinda booked up with other obligations for the next month.... but newbies are usually good for carrying ropes or providing 1/2 the car shuttle. Maybe get him to cook dinner for the privilege of being tortured all day in a canyon. :haha:

Come on.... I'm sure one of you guys can find a good use for a newbie :2thumbs:

rockgremlin
07-11-2006, 05:29 PM
I've got my eye on a bunch of north wash routes I've never done...Blarney, Leprechaun, Trail, HDH, GDJ, the Hogs, etc, etc.

If you can provide the ropes, and are willing to travel this far south, then let's plan a day.

Anybody else in?

Alex
07-11-2006, 05:35 PM
How long of a rope(s) does it need to be? And how far south is it?

PS: I am looking at the UofU Canyoneering class in September, is it a good way to get into the sport?

rockgremlin
07-11-2006, 05:54 PM
I have heard the U of U canyoneering class is pretty decent.

What kind of canyoneering experience do you have?

The drops in the North Wash area aren't very high - most of all of them don't exceed 100 feet. A 60 meter rope would probably work for most canyons. Actually, I'm looking to purchase a 200 foot Canyon Pro from "The Emperor" here pretty soon.

North Wash canyons here (http://www.climb-utah.com/Powell/index.htm) - they're mostly around the area just south of Hanksville, and east of the Henry Mountains.

Alex
07-11-2006, 06:45 PM
I have climbed in the past (when I was young and skinny). I hike and backpack quite a bit. Been doing a lot of scrambling and from the pictures you guys post, I am confident I can do everything on my own. But I am also smart enough to know better not to do it on my own :)

I have rappeled, know the basics and the safety of it. So I wouldn't consider myself a newbie really, but was just looking to find someone to follow and watch the lead for first time.

It's like rafting, you can scout the rapid all you want, but once you see the boat in front of you take a leap you know what to do right (or wrong).

I have a rope, I believe it's a 100m (don't remember anymore), have a harness and some carabeiners.

PS: I am going to look at that class in September unless I hook up with some of the folks on here.

Iceaxe
07-11-2006, 08:37 PM
I am looking at the UofU Canyoneering class in September, is it a good way to get into the sport?

I have canyoneered with several U of U Canyoneering graduates. I have never done the course but once did several canyons with one of the instructors, a fella by the name of Lloyd Bush and a group of his young rope guns. I learned an incredible amount about canyoneering teamwork and execution while with his group. The teamwork of the U of U group was poetry in motion.

IMHO: U of U canyoneers do not seem to have the rope skills of an ACA graduate. But the teamwork skills they learn are vastly superior. Where an ACA graduate will tend to solve a problem with advanced rope work or in what I call a guide/client method, the U of U graduate will use less equipment and more teamwork to solve the same problem.

Honestly I didn't even know the U was still teaching a canyoneering class. My last experince with them was 5 or 6 years ago. I'm happy to hear they are still around. I hope they are still teaching the same skills. The canyoneering community would greatly benefit from are larger understanding of the teamwork taught at the U.

Also, the U of U canyoneers were the guys that told me about Music Canyon http://climb-utah.com/SRS/music1.htm . It was often used as their school room canyon.

I wouldn't consider myself a newbie really

Oh yeah... forgot to tell ya

hesse15
07-12-2006, 07:22 AM
I have climbed in the past (when I was young and skinny). I hike and backpack quite a bit. Been doing a lot of scrambling and from the pictures you guys post, I am confident I can do everything on my own. But I am also smart enough to know better not to do it on my own :)

I have rappeled, know the basics and the safety of it. So I wouldn't consider myself a newbie really, but was just looking to find someone to follow and watch the lead for first time.

It's like rafting, you can scout the rapid all you want, but once you see the boat in front of you take a leap you know what to do right (or wrong).

I have a rope, I believe it's a 100m (don't remember anymore), have a harness and some carabeiners.

PS: I am going to look at that class in September unless I hook up with some of the folks on here.
kazac usually in canyoneering they use static ropes so if yours is a climbing one could be a little heavy and too rubber band for canyoneering.
in north wash i strongly suggest you go to walmart and buy soft knee pads and elbow pads
and to DI (deseret industries ) for a pair of pants and a long sleeve t-shirt
and make sure have good sticky rubber shoes ,no teva or chaco sandal for canyoneering and an helmet also a biking one could be a good idea

Alex
07-12-2006, 07:35 AM
hesse, thanks for the list. I think I do have the rubbery rope, I can get the rappeling rope as well. What exactly am I looking for in a rope?

The rest of the stuff you listed I have laying around the house.

stefan
07-12-2006, 07:37 AM
in north wash i strongly suggest you go to walmart and buy soft knee pads and elbow pads

or if you don't believe in shopping at walmart, there are many stores which carry athletic gear that have good kneepads. when getting kneepads make sure that they are relatively sung. your sweat will stretch them and when stemming/downclimbing you don't want them shifting too easily.

ps. i didn't know there was a walmart in north wash? :lol8:

[just kiddin' christina :mrgreen: ]

rock_ski_cowboy
07-12-2006, 08:41 AM
I can get the rappeling rope as well. What exactly am I looking for in a rope?

The rest of the stuff you listed I have laying around the house.

You are looking for "static" rope. Polyester is better than nylon in that it absorbs less water. 9 mm is probably the recommended thickness for starters. Its thin and light, but not too thin for most. I bought 10 mm when i started out and now i feel its too heavy and stiff and never use it any more even though its still mostly in tact. 8mm is nice and light, but is sometimes a bad idea for a beginner, since its easier to get out of control. 2 ropes i would consider are:

BlueWater Canyon (9.2mm) or Canyon Pro (8mm) (the DS versions are more durable)

or Imlay Rope (comes in both 8 and 9 mm versions)

The Bluewater Canyon ropes are the rope against which all canyoneering rope is measured, but you pay for the extra quality. Canyon Pro is 8mm and has spectra core (stronger and even less stretch than other static ropes). DS means double sheath-- which add a lot more durability to the rope.

Imlay Rope works awesome! (its the rope featured in Eric's videos) Not as durable as the BW though, but definitely the best bang for your buck if your looking for something economical that works well.

Depending on availability, Imlay ropes can be purchased from our friend tom at www.canyoneeringusa.com and BW ropes can be purchased from our friends at the mountain shop (www.canyoneeringgear.com) in cedar city (although i'm having trouble getting their web store to come up this morning.

YMMV with other static ropes, although any static will work (even dynamic (climbing) rope works ok, but the thickness and bounciness become annoyning and liabilities though and you'll want to move on as soon as you know you'll be doing more than just a few canyons).

For good gear checklists, see:

http://www.climb-utah.com/Misc/gear.htm

http://canyoneeringusa.com/utah/intro/gear.php

mra243
07-12-2006, 08:42 AM
How about someone around here.... Adopt a Newbie!!!

I'm kinda booked up with other obligations for the next month.... but newbies are usually good for carrying ropes or providing 1/2 the car shuttle. Maybe get him to cook dinner for the privilege of being tortured all day in a canyon. :haha:

Come on.... I'm sure one of you guys can find a good use for a newbie :2thumbs:

I would love to get in on the "Adopt a newbie" program sometime. My fiance and I are really new to the sport. We got started doing the Medevial Chamber trip in Moab, and have done Larry Canyon and Constrychnine so far. We usually go out with a group of about 5 or 6 friends who look to me to lead them down a canyon, but I'd love to get out and learn from some "old pros" sometime. We have a 200' 8mm static rope along with a pull cord and plenty of other gear, like to drink beer and tell stories around a campfire and can make a pretty mean breakfast burrito in the morning. We're going to be in Zion this weekend to do a couple of canyons, but would love to get out with some other people.

We even have a Jeep Rubicon to get to those "hard to reach" trailheads!

stefan
07-12-2006, 08:50 AM
Depending on availability, both Bluewater and Imlay ropes can be purchased from our friend tom at www.canyoneeringusa.com

Also black diamond sells imlay ropes, even on dowels, so you can specify the length. since you're in salt lake this is a good place to go to avoid the shipping costs of mailing such heavy ropes.

Alex
07-12-2006, 09:00 AM
I guess I got to do some shopping before hitting the slots. I live really close to Black Diamond, I will stop by there and chat with them.

Thanks guys :2thumbs:

rock_ski_cowboy
07-12-2006, 09:11 AM
I guess I got to do some shopping before hitting the slots. I live really close to Black Diamond, I will stop by there and chat with them.

Thanks guys :2thumbs:

Or hold off... chances are the newbie adopter that picks you up will already have rope, so you can see what you like.

Alex
07-12-2006, 09:14 AM
Or hold off... chances are the newbie adopter that picks you up will already have rope, so you can see what you like.[/quote]

heh, that was my original plan. :mwink:

rock_ski_cowboy
07-12-2006, 09:39 AM
heh, that was my original plan. :mwink:

If you're patient, I'm sure you'll get on some trips... for many, summer is kind of the off season. Zion is the only place thats really good when its hot, and for me my 2 or 3 zion trips each focus around one "big" canyon like Kolob or Heaps since I hate to compete for permits in the more popular canyons.

You may have some luck posting a "Canyon virgin wanting one or multiple experienced partners" request on http://groups.yahoo.com/group/canyons ... the other prominent utah-centric canyon dating service on the net.

:haha:

rockgremlin
07-12-2006, 10:29 AM
I'm looking to hit the North Wash sometime in early August (first or second weekend). I'll be bringing a 9mm Imlay Rope. Let me know if that works out. Any other takers?

rock_ski_cowboy
07-12-2006, 11:54 AM
I'm looking to hit the North Wash sometime in early August (first or second weekend). I'll be bringing a 9mm Imlay Rope. Let me know if that works out. Any other takers?

Pray for clouds! North Wash is one of my favorite places to go.... in the winter!

stefan
07-12-2006, 12:03 PM
Pray for clouds! North Wash is one of my favorite places to go.... in the winter!

you know, i was there last year with nat and his family in late june and, surprisingly, none of us thought it was too bad....and i have a low tolerance for heat (conversely very high for cold). it definitely helps being in a slot, and, i agree rock, the cooler times of year are better.

Iceaxe
07-12-2006, 12:35 PM
like to drink beer and tell stories around a campfire and can make a pretty mean breakfast burrito in the morning.

You had me at BEER! :lol8:

rockgremlin
07-12-2006, 12:59 PM
like to drink beer and tell stories around a campfire and can make a pretty mean breakfast burrito in the morning.

Hey Ice!! You comin?! We're planning for the first or second weekend in August.

C'mon down!!! The more the merrier!! :cheers: ...literally! :lol8:

mra243
07-12-2006, 01:01 PM

Hey Ice!! You comin?! We're planning for the first or second weekend in August.

C'mon down!!! The more the merrier!! :cheers: ...literally! :lol8:

I'll be in Idaho the first weekend in August. If you end up going the second weekend I'd love to try and make it.

Iceaxe
07-12-2006, 01:02 PM
Whats the plan?

Whats on the menu?

Did anyone tell you guys it's hot in August? :haha:

Alex
07-12-2006, 01:06 PM

You get better buzz from beer in the heat... so it's all good :cheers:

PS: Do climbing shoes work better for canoyneering or not? Could someone post a link to shoes as example to be used for slotting?

Iceaxe
07-12-2006, 01:18 PM
Do climbing shoes work better for canoyneering or not? Could someone post a link to shoes as example to be used for slotting?

Climbing shoes do not work for canyoneering.

Five-Ten Canyoneers and Sportiva Exum Rivers are the shoe of choice currently.

Any good cross training shoe or approach shoe will work good.

Read these two links and then we can chat some more
http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1647
http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1960

:popcorn:

rock_ski_cowboy
07-12-2006, 01:21 PM

You get better buzz from beer in the heat... so it's all good :cheers:

PS: Do climbing shoes work better for canoyneering or not? Could someone post a link to shoes as example to be used for slotting?

5.10 canyoneer (http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/product.asp?s_ID=0&dept_id=10077&pf_id=PAAAAAIONHFAAJOM&ad_id=GoogleBase) The gold standard of canyoneering shoes.

La sportiva Exum River. (http://www.mountaingear.com/pages/product/product.asp/CMP/KNC-97950/cmpn/97950/store/MG/item/203319/N/0) The competition. Doesn't seem quite as durable as the 5.10, but some people prefer the lowtop design. Also seems easier to find these days.

or you could just use something similar to

what I am currently using. (http://www.backcountry.com/store/VSQ0001/Vasque-Catalyst-Approach-Shoe-Mens.html) Not canyoneering specific shoes, but meet the basic requirements: sticky rubber, durable, good for hiking, not waterproof and have decent draining ability. Advantage: sometimes you can find shoes that fit the bill for about half what you'd pay for the 5.10s or Exums

rockgremlin
07-12-2006, 02:06 PM
Whats the plan?

Whats on the menu?

Either the first or second weekend in August. Up and at em early on Saturday, then again on Sunday.

Canyons currently under consideration:

Monoxide (both forks)
Arscenic
Shillelaugh forks and Lucky Charms are ok for beginners, but are just so darn easy!

Others...? We're being pretty flexible here.

Alex
07-12-2006, 02:06 PM
Read these two links and then we can chat some more
http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1647
http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1960

OK dad , err Ice :haha: jk , read all my homework and ready to listen up. I prefer to go with the majority when I buy new gear either it be canyoneering or other sports gear. So I'd spend the money on 5.10. My next question is (even though I have read about the shortage of it), can I find them locally anywhere in SLC, at least to try it on and pick the right size?

I know about Springdale store, but that's 4 hours from me... anything closer?

Thanks.

rockgremlin
07-12-2006, 02:10 PM
Black Diamond in SLC sells 5.10 Canyoneers.

Iceaxe
07-12-2006, 02:17 PM

Monoxide (both forks)
Arscenic
Shillelaugh forks and Lucky Charms are ok for beginners, but are just so darn easy!

Damn... those are all cold weather canyons.... save them for winter when you need something to do. They would be really hot in August. They are all usually dry.

Only canyons in that area you might be able to talk me into that time of year would be "The Black Hole" and maybe Cheese Box.

And for the record.... the east fork of Monoxide is not worth doing..... I did it so you don't have too :haha:

rockgremlin
07-12-2006, 02:21 PM
Isn't "The Black Hole" a big black sooty, log-jammed mess right now?

Cheesebox could be doable. For that matter, so could Gravel, and/or Hideout Canyons as well. :2thumbs:

rockgremlin
07-12-2006, 02:24 PM
If you seriously want to do The Black Hole, I'd be down, but let's make sure we're all on the same page here.

Wetsuits mandatory right?

rockgremlin
07-12-2006, 02:27 PM
Or here's another idea.....have you seen that side canyon that empties into The Black Hole just above the entrance to The Black Hole that's hinted at in Kelsey's new "Guide to the Colorado Plateau?" It looks pretty cool....it empties into a big silo, kind of like a dry Neon Canyon.

Could be some new beta for Climb-Utah.......am I enticing you enough? :haha:

hesse15
07-12-2006, 03:11 PM

Monoxide (both forks)
Arscenic

Damn... those are all cold weather canyons.... save them for winter when you need something to do. They would be really hot in August. They are all usually dry.

Only canyons in that area you might be able to talk me into that time of year would be "The Black Hole" and maybe Cheese Box.

And for the record.... the east fork of Monoxide is not worth doing..... I did it so you don't have too :haha:

hot canyon?where ?when?
after got almost ipothermic in fatman and real ipothermic in spry last weekend i am looking for a warm spot.
i think i am the only one enjoing the hike up in spry

and damn i was not able to get anybody to do behunin

how the heck you can get in such cold situation i never get it
i feel good anything above 70F
back home today is max 88 min 74 and 69% humidity
:cool2: beach time!!!

rock_ski_cowboy
07-12-2006, 03:32 PM
Isn't "The Black Hole" a big black sooty, log-jammed mess right now?

Cheesebox could be doable. For that matter, so could Gravel, and/or Hideout Canyons as well. :2thumbs:

Sounds like the mess is only in one spot, and its down past most of the swimming and previous log jams and can be skirted around. I may be wrong, but thats what i got from the Dave Black reports. Also, I bet theres been some flow with the big rain in the area lately. Seemed like I saw 1.5 inches in moab the other day?

Iceaxe
07-12-2006, 04:00 PM
I think Rock Ski is correct about what the Black Hole looks like. Also, I would not take a wetsuit to do the Black Hole if I was going in July or August, but that is a personal choice. Depending on when you decide to go the monsoon season should do a pretty good job of cleaning up the canyon, or making a bigger mess.....

And while Hesse was shivering in Fat Man's last weekend I was dipping myself in the water to cool down. Maybe hesse should drink more beer :haha:

Kelseys side canyon sounds interesting..... and then we could give it a cool name :2thumbs: I suggest Not-Mile-Marker 25.1 :roflol:

rockgremlin
07-12-2006, 06:36 PM
Kelseys side canyon sounds interesting..... and then we could give it a cool name :2thumbs: I suggest Not-Mile-Marker 25.1 :roflol:

Kelsey has named it "Horse Tanks Canyon," but I think we could come up with a better name.

Sooooooo, let's see here. We got Ice, Kazak, and hesse15 all committed....

Canyons are "Horse Tanks," and Cheesebox (both forks?)

Kazak is bringing beer.

Hesse15 is bringing the entertainment.

Anyone else want in on this? Should be fun!!!! :cheers:

Iceaxe
07-12-2006, 08:42 PM

I'm not commited, I already have a full platter in August..... my brother is getting married, my cousin is getting married, I have permits for Subway one Saturday late in the month.....

I need to consult the magic 8 ball and see if I have a free weekend.

marc olivares
07-12-2006, 08:54 PM
Black Diamond in SLC sells 5.10 Canyoneers.
last time i was in there they did not have them
and the guy at ZAC told me they were the only ones at this point that stock them.
what size shoe you wear KAZAK, i've got a pair of 9's new in the box i'll sell you for $50.

i was planning a trip about this time frame, i might be a go as well.

Alex
07-13-2006, 04:07 AM
i've got a pair of 9's new in the box i'll sell you for $50.

i was planning a trip about this time frame, i might be a go as well.

I wear 9.5-10.5, depends on the shoe, do 5.10 run big or small? Where do you live at?

Alex
07-13-2006, 04:08 AM

...Everything has a price, how many beers is yours? :naughty:

rockgremlin
07-13-2006, 07:45 AM

...Everything has a price, how many beers is yours? :naughty:

Ya no shit Ice. First you're like...."Well, I'll come if you do Cheesebox or TBH." Then two seconds later you're like....."Just kidding. I have a bunch of weddings to go to..." :lame:

Give us a date. Let's make it work. :rockon:

Last weekend in July good for everyone?

Alex
07-13-2006, 08:07 AM
Last weekend in July good for everyone?

I got too much crap planned already, only first weekend of Aug is good for me. I am an underdog here, so if you guys go another weekend, then no hard feelings (but you don't get the free beer :blbl: )

icthys
07-13-2006, 08:42 AM

Kelsey has named it "Horse Tanks Canyon," but I think we could come up with a better name.

Canyons are "Horse Tanks," and Cheesebox (both forks?)

Kazak is bringing beer.

Hesse15 is bringing the entertainment.

Anyone else want in on this? Should be fun!!!! :cheers:

I'm definately interested. Gotta make sure everything else is clear which I think it is. I'm more interested in the first couple weeks in Aug but end of July could work.

Scott P
07-13-2006, 08:47 AM

What's wrong with Deer Canyon in summer? :naughty:

Hey, you aren't suggesting changing a canyon name are you? :nono:

rockgremlin
07-13-2006, 08:47 AM
We'll stick to first weekend in August for now.

rockgremlin
07-13-2006, 08:50 AM

Hey, you aren't suggesting changing a canyon name are you? :nono:

I was thinking about that. I can just see it now: We go through it, assign it a new name, then Kelsey publishes the newest edition of his Tech Canyon guide, calling it "Horse Tanks Canyon."

Oh the confusion.... :roll:

icthys
07-13-2006, 08:57 AM
How does a jambalaya dutch oven dinner sound?

Scott P
07-13-2006, 09:01 AM
I was thinking about that. I can just see it now: We go through it, assign it a new name, then Kelsey publishes the newest edition of his Tech Canyon guide, calling it "Horse Tanks Canyon."

It's already published as Horse Tanks Canyon, but make sure to name it Equestrian M-2 Bradley's Canyon to hide the identity when you post a TR. :2thumbs:

http://www.equestriansingles.com/lib/images/photos/photoalbum/mutantmom-19710-1633534.jpg

PLUS

http://www.olive-drab.com/images/id_m2bradley_full.jpg

EQUALS:

Equestrian M-2 Bradley's Canyon

Alex
07-13-2006, 09:04 AM

Does it go good with beer, because otherwise Ice won't show up.... :haha:

PS: Sounds great to me.... but what is it? :eek2:

rockgremlin
07-13-2006, 09:06 AM

Sounds awesome!!! :five:

Iceaxe
07-13-2006, 09:06 AM
make sure to name it Equestrian M-2 Bradley's Canyon to hide the identity when you post a TR. :2thumbs:

:lol8: It took me a minute but I figured it out :lol8:

icthys
07-13-2006, 09:21 AM

Does it go good with beer, because otherwise Ice won't show up.... :haha:

PS: Sounds great to me.... but what is it? :eek2:

I'm not a beer drinker but I can't imagine why it wouldn't fit together just right.

It's a cajun stew. Onions, tomatoes, celery, green chiles, rice, smoked sausage, and shrimp if I'm feely extra saucy. Oh, don't forget a little hot hot to spice it up just a bit.

Iceaxe
07-13-2006, 09:24 AM
What's wrong with Deer Canyon in summer?

I guess you had better fill us in on the details of Deer Canyon since I know little. Any tech? water to keep cool? ruins? You have a good route you want to share?

Iceaxe
07-13-2006, 09:26 AM

:slobber:

rockgremlin
07-13-2006, 09:35 AM

Does that mean you're coming? :lol8:

Alex
07-13-2006, 09:39 AM
I'm not a beer drinker but I can't imagine why it wouldn't fit together just right.

It's a cajun stew. Onions, tomatoes, celery, green chiles, rice, smoked sausage, and shrimp if I'm feely extra saucy. Oh, don't forget a little hot hot to spice it up just a bit.

I am bringing none alcoholic beer as well, so you will find out for yourself :) Or just make the request on the drinks, I will get it.

Scott P
07-13-2006, 09:40 AM
I guess you had better fill us in on the details of Deer Canyon since I know little. Any tech? water to keep cool? ruins? You have a good route you want to share?

I actually haven't done it yet. The only thing I know was that someone told me that "it's the prettiest canyon in the White system, and a good one for summer". Since I'm not sure what that means (by either "prettiest" or "good for summer", I was posing the question in case you knew what that means and had done the canyon.

Alex
07-13-2006, 09:40 AM

Ice.... jambalaya dutch oven dinner with a liquor store bought Heinken...?

icthys
07-13-2006, 09:46 AM

Count me in. The only thing I've got is the Coalville derby Aug 5th which I'd like to be at but I don't have to. So my choices are end of July and second weekend in Aug. I guess throwing in shrimp depends on which weekend we go :haha:

Iceaxe
07-13-2006, 10:17 AM
Ice.... jambalaya dutch oven dinner with a liquor store bought Heinken...?

I've never been a fan of Heinken..... if I'm going to do some serious beer drinking "Molson Ice" (what did ya expect? :haha:) is my current beer of choice.

:cheers:

rockgremlin
07-14-2006, 08:13 AM
Hey Shane - I looked for a route description for Cheesebox on Climb-Utah, but I couldn't find one. What gives?

I think maybe you should work on that... :haha:

By the way, I'm inviting another newb from Monticello here. I think we should probably cap this trip at three newbs. Others are welcome to come along if they are experienced....and they like jumbalaya.

Alex
07-18-2006, 06:22 AM
So I asume the trip is still on?

rockgremlin
07-18-2006, 07:26 AM

Yup.

I'm shooting for Cheesebox (east fork) on Saturday, August 5th. Sunday we can decide what we wanna do. Some ideas are: Fry Canyon, Arscenic, West Fork Cheesebox, Gravel Canyon, Little Horse Tanks, etc, etc.

My friends here in Monticello are stoked too. They have climbing experience, and a little canyoneering experience.

Should be fun. Looking forward to it.

Hey Icthys - you still going? I can help out with the food if you want - either monetarily or otherwise (Jumbalaya is not a cheap dish). Let me know.

Alex
07-18-2006, 08:24 AM
I'd bring the drinks and help with the food. Sounds great for Aug 5th, I am in :)

icthys
07-20-2006, 07:49 AM

Yup.

I'm shooting for Cheesebox (east fork) on Saturday, August 5th. Sunday we can decide what we wanna do. Some ideas are: Fry Canyon, Arscenic, West Fork Cheesebox, Gravel Canyon, Little Horse Tanks, etc, etc.

My friends here in Monticello are stoked too. They have climbing experience, and a little canyoneering experience.

Should be fun. Looking forward to it.

Hey Icthys - you still going? I can help out with the food if you want - either monetarily or otherwise (Jumbalaya is not a cheap dish). Let me know.

I'm still going. Aug 5th? Damn I love that Coalville derby.

I'm good on the jambalaya, it's actually not very expensive, it's the least I can do for a nice comfortable trip down a canyon.

Who else will be going down from SLC/Provo? We should hitch a ride together.

Iceaxe
07-24-2006, 03:11 PM
I'm in.... :2thumbs:

Looking to share a ride down with someone. I live in Draper.

Alex
07-24-2006, 08:12 PM
I'll be driving down from SLC, depending on how many people are coming I can bring my Honda Element (box on wheels :2thumbs: ) or my Civic (gasmilage). I live in Millcreek area.

Iceaxe
07-25-2006, 07:25 AM
I can bring my Honda Element

But what if my friends saw me riding in an Element? :haha:

If Cheesebox is the plan the road requires high clearance vehicles as a minimum. 4x4 is required if the White crossing is in bad condition.

So what is the plan exactly?

icthys
07-25-2006, 07:34 AM
I can bring my Honda Element

But what if my friends saw me riding in an Element? :haha:

If Cheesebox is the plan the road requires high clearance vehicles as a minimum. 4x4 is required if the White crossing is in bad condition.

So what is the plan exactly?

If a high clearance and/or 4x4 is required I can take the Xterra. I'm up in Heber so if there is anyway to meet in Provo/Orem that'd be great. We could even leave from Heber, head up to Duchesne, and then on down to Price (very nice drive and NO traffic).

Come on Rock, what is the plan?

Alex
07-25-2006, 08:45 AM
I can shuttle SLC gang to Heber or wherever in my Civic...

Are we planning on going on Friday?

rockgremlin
07-26-2006, 12:01 PM
Cheesebox on Saturday

Whatever on Sunday. Maybe Horse Tanks, or Gravel,.....whatever.

I bought a brand new 60m Imlay 9mm rope for this trip. Let's break it in proper!

Let's meet somewhere off hwy 95 on Friday night...

icthys
07-26-2006, 12:33 PM
Cheesebox on Saturday

Whatever on Sunday. Maybe Horse Tanks, or Gravel,.....whatever.

I bought a brand new 60m Imlay 9mm rope for this trip. Let's break it in proper!

Let's meet somewhere off hwy 95 on Friday night...

I have a feeling these names won't show up on a topo map. I'm a topo junky and I'd like to look up the area we are going to. Any waypoints or actual names I can use instead of the name of the box Iceaxe keeps his nuts in?

Since we are doing Cheesebox I assume I need to take the X. I really don't want to go to Salt Lake to pick up the two of you and then drop you off on the way home. Provo would be the best place to meet, any ideas where we could meet and leave a vehicle for the weekend?

Iceaxe
07-26-2006, 01:02 PM
Plan on meeting at the Soldiers Grave on Friday night. There are several pretty nice places to camp just off the main road. My favorite is a large slickrock platform just behind the grave overlooking White Canyon. This is also central to a bunch of good stuff and makes an easy meeting place.

I'll just plan on driving myself cause I don't want to screw with trying to meet up and stuff. Not worth the hassle and I plan to do The Black Hole on Sunday cause I haven't done it for a long time. It also makes the trip back to SLC reasonable. If someone ones to meet at my house Friday after work and ride down that's cool....

Directions to the Soldiers Grave:
From the Utah town of Hanksville drive south on highway 95 for 67 miles. The Cheesebox Road (San Juan County Road 227a or 2271) is located on the north side of highway 95 at mile marker 66.8. This is also the location of the "Soldier's Grave".

History of The Soldier's Grave:
In 1884 several cowboys got into a dispute with some Paiute Indians concerning the ownership of a horse. The cowboys called in the U.S. Cavalry to help them with the dispute. A chase ensued during which the Paiutes ambushed the soldiers and killed two of them. The Soldiers are buried at the marked grave just off highway 95. The Paiutes were never captured.

rockgremlin
07-26-2006, 01:14 PM
Sooo......you're just crazy enough to attempt the Black Hole huh?

Are you bringing a wetsuit? I'm intrigued...I might just follow ya.

Iceaxe
07-26-2006, 01:29 PM
I'm not really worried about the Black Hole.... its not a big deal for experianced canyoneers (hikers maybe). And you can always just reverse course if you don't like what you find. If no one wants to go with me I'll be doing it solo, which means I don't really think a too scary.

I'll bring a wet suit down with me but I highly doubt that I'll carry it. I've never used a wetsuit before in the Hole. But then again, I don't get cold easy. I probably have a couple extra shorties around the house I could toss in. That is more then enough protection in August. We are already going to cook.

You Montecello guys could also hit Fry on your way home. Or maybe after Cheese Box if anyone is up for it.

Black Hole
http://climb-utah.com/CM/Files/blackhole1.jpg

rockgremlin
07-26-2006, 01:34 PM
Nope. I think you talked me into 'doin the Hole' with ya.

These Monticello guys I'm bringing along have heard stories about the Black Hole, and really want to do it.

Maybe we'll hit Fry Canyon after Cheesebox, and then do the Hole on Sunday. Three canyons in one trip! :2thumbs:

We'll see....

Iceaxe
07-26-2006, 01:37 PM
Here is a pic of my hot, young, stripper wife in the Black Hole.....

......now stop typing with one hand.......

:roflol:

rockgremlin
07-26-2006, 01:47 PM
To all planning on joining in on this trip:

Be sure to remember to pack your lunch in either a drybag, or triple bagged in ziplock bags, or your bologna sandwiches might get a little soggy.

Also remember to bring several changes of clothes and shoes. This trip will be WET!!

Hey Kazak - you're bringin the camera right?

Alex
07-26-2006, 03:56 PM
Sounds like it's gonna be one hell of a trip, hell ya I am bringin a camera. In fact two of them. One is a helmet mounted and one with extra zoom in my dry bag.

Ice, I will take that ride with you if you don't mind and pay gas on the way home. Can I leave my car at your place then?

Iceaxe
07-26-2006, 04:04 PM
Ice, I will take that ride with you if you don't mind and pay gas on the way home. Can I leave my car at your place then?

Yes sir..... you can even park in my garage if your beast don't leak oil :haha:

At the moment I'm thinking a 4:30 or 5 take-off from my house. Ping me side-band and we can work out the details.

Alex
07-26-2006, 04:20 PM
Sounds good, so are we coming back Sunday?

Iceaxe
07-26-2006, 05:03 PM
Sounds good, so are we coming back Sunday?

I am :haha:

RAM
07-26-2006, 07:25 PM
Directions to the Soldiers Grave:
From the Utah town of Hanksville drive south on highway 95 for 67 miles. The Cheesebox Road (San Juan County Road 227a or 2271) is located on the north side of highway 95 at mile marker 66.8. This is also the location of the "Soldier's Grave".

Pretty sure 66.8 is the the old mile marker. They have changed. Seeing that 28.4 is now 28.1, a guess is that it may be around mile marker 66 now. Not easy to see at night. Have fun.
Ram :wave:

RAM
07-26-2006, 07:41 PM
I'm not really worried about the Black Hole.... its not a big deal

The Elvis Dog is right. The Hole is 90% back to normal and casual. Jams are mostly gone and stuff is no longer teetering. When in doubt, tunnel and go low

I'll bring a wet suit down with me but I highly doubt that I'll carry it.

June-September historically is non wet suit in the Hole. YMMV.
Enjoy the Cheese too. The west fork has been ascended many times(1 aid spot pre set- shoulder stand and cam aid and descended without a rope many times too, but is normally done with 1, 20 foot rappel, at the aid spot (scary stem or slide if water deep enough). Further down, 2 larger drops are downclimbable, but exposed (and belayable-second with a #3 cam) at class 4 to low class 5. Look around at the drops and find the inobvious ways, if it pleases you. Lots of fun. I hope you have good quality water and reasonable temps. This time of year is not prime season there (March, April, October) and because it drains a forested area, vegetable matter finds its way in on certain floods. In good conditions, an absolute delight.
Ram :nod:

rockgremlin
07-26-2006, 07:58 PM
I pooched some beta on Cheesebox from a Jared H. over on the Yahoo Canyon forums. Here's what he had to say about a recent trip down Cheesebox:

"For those who haven't been there it is a nice mixture of walk, swim, stem, squeeze, walk, swim, walk, rap, walk, rap, swim, swim, swim, walk etc. It was a great canyon with good mixtures of everything. All of the anchors looked like they had recently been replaced and after re-checking them we did not have to re-do any of them. Some slings placed in places that seemed unnecessary, but no time to take them out. The water levels were not quite at full in some places high water marks were still 1-2 feet above water level."

Thanks Jared, looks like fun! :2thumbs:

Iceaxe
07-26-2006, 08:18 PM
Pretty sure 66.8 is the the old mile marker. They have changed. Seeing that 28.4 is now 28.1, a guess is that it may be around mile marker 66 now. Not easy to see at night. Have fun.

Actually one of my boys checked it out a couple weeks ago and said the mile markers along 95 in this area only moved about 0.1 miles.

But.... I have just updated my webpages to the new mile markers.

Is it worth hiking all the way out Cheese Box to 95 or is this just a long slog with a few narrows? Remember we will be dragging noob's along.

rockgremlin
07-27-2006, 07:25 AM
For Cheesebox - I was considering doing the east fork, and bailing out about half-way through, since all of the good stuff is in the upper part of the canyon. If we bail out early, we may have time to visit Fry Canyon, or the west fork of Cheesebox.

Iceaxe
07-27-2006, 08:00 AM
I believe the West Fork (as shown on Tom's website) is the "Standard Route". But I have never done Cheesebox and don't know what would be considered the "best" route". I'm open for suggestions.......

I'm moving the Cheesebox route decussion to its own thread.....
http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=22617

:cool2:

icthys
07-27-2006, 08:31 AM
Remember we will be dragging noob's along.

I'm ready to go

PunchKing
07-27-2006, 08:38 AM
I'm ready to go
http://uutah.com/forum/files/hiker.jpg

Nice shorts, are you John Stockton? Can't tell with the sunglasses!

Iceaxe
07-27-2006, 08:43 AM
Short Shorts :roflol:

What a bold statement :mrgreen:

Along with the Vista Cruiser.......... :five:

icthys
07-27-2006, 08:48 AM
and you can never forget the unibrow sunglasses

savanna3313
07-27-2006, 02:11 PM
Reminds me of Lt. Dangle from Reno 911 :haha:

Iceaxe
07-27-2006, 02:23 PM
icthys got a new name..... Lt. Dangle...... :roflol:

icthys
07-27-2006, 02:25 PM
:2thumbs:

You know I have to bring some shorts now.