PDA

View Full Version : Propane to Natural Gas conversion for BBQ Grill

Sombeech
07-08-2006, 08:41 PM
Yes, I'm a man. I just converted my grill from propane to natural gas. This means no more bottles! Endless Flames! The BBQ without end...

I'll post some pics up in a while. It took a series of calculations to find the orfice size I had to drill out. I ran the gas line through my house since my basement isn't finished yet, and it was still pretty accessible.

chickenlicken
07-09-2006, 09:02 AM
My Dad did that a few years ago as well. It takes his BBQ a long time to get up to cooking temp. He has to pre-heat the thing for 1/2 hr before he throws the meat on it. He is actually thinking of going back to the propane. I hope your conversion works better than his did.

Sombeech
07-10-2006, 08:58 AM
My Dad did that a few years ago as well. It takes his BBQ a long time to get up to cooking temp.

He may not have drilled out the orfices to the right size? :ne_nau:

My brother "converted" over, but all he did was hook up a line to his grill, without making any adjustments. It's not as hot.

I'll post up a list of instructions and calculations here. If you do it right, you can even make it burn hotter. :2thumbs:

stefan
07-10-2006, 09:13 AM
My Dad did that a few years ago as well. It takes his BBQ a long time to get up to cooking temp.

He may not have drilled out the orfices to the right size? :ne_nau:

My brother "converted" over, but all he did was hook up a line to his grill, without making any adjustments. It's not as hot.

I'll post up a list of instructions and calculations here. If you do it right, you can even make it burn hotter. :2thumbs:

may the force be with you sasqueech :2thumbs:

i have faith that your calculations will prevail

Sombeech
07-10-2006, 09:19 AM
may the force be with you sasqueech :2thumbs:

i have faith that your calculations will prevail

The proof is in the pudding -- I mean Steak. :afro:

James_B_Wads2000
07-10-2006, 10:24 AM
The proof is in the pudding -- I mean Steak. :afro:

Mmmmmm... steak pudding. :slobber:

Sombeech
07-10-2006, 03:14 PM
For those of you interested, you can find all of the info you need from Questar's "Good Practices" document:
http://www.questargas.com/brochures/59060_401.pdf

It's a big 'un, 121 pages. Things to take note of:
BTU's of your grill (BTU of EACH seperate burner, and also the total) My total was 46,000. 3 w/ 12k and 1 w/ 10k
Your elevation - mine is 4350'
Gas Pressure - mine is 12.60
Total Cubic Feet per Hour - CFH

The CFH is what tells you the Orfice Size you will have to drill. For instance, the 3 burners on my main range were 12,000 BTU's each, and had 11.19 CFH. This took a size 55 numbered bit. The sideburner, or "pots and pans" cooker is 10,000 BTU, 9.325 CFH, and took a size 56 bit.

It's all about calculating the size of bit to use to drill out the orfices. Most grills can have 1/2" gas pipe ran to it, but I just used 3/4" just in case.

moabfool
07-11-2006, 08:59 PM
I saw a gas guy converting a kitchen range from gas to propane one time. He was just drilling the orifice larger one size at at time until he got a flame. The guy installing the fireplace was doing the same thing. I like the scientific way better. Hope it works out for ya.