PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report Windriver camping

basilone0331
07-05-2006, 12:26 PM
I went camping with a buddy to the Windriver mountains this weekend. We camped at Fiddlers Lake, got to the camp ground at 11:00 am on saturday and there were still a a few open sites. We started to set up camp when we discovered my mistake in assuming the tent stakes for my springbar tent were in the bag with the tent. This lead to some interesting improvising (see pictures). Fishing at Fiddlers lake was not great for us as it has shallow shores, but had we brought a boat (there is a dirt ramp at the lake) or even waders we would have had better luck. On sunday we hiked 3.7 miles to Upper Silas lake and were catching fish on nearly every cast for the first 10 minutes at each spot then it would cool down,move to another spot and so on, mostly Cutthroat and Brookies. We spent about 4 hours up there then hiked down 1/2 a mile to Lower Silas lake. Fishing was not as hot there, we only spent about an hour there before heading back to camp. Woke up early on monday to tear down camp and hit a few spots on the way out. We fished the Little Popo Agie river for about an hour with about 10 catches before hitting Louis lake. I don't know why but we were just cold here with only a few bites. After 2 hours we called it a day and headed home. Great trip, most the fish we caught were 6-10 inches, nothing too impressive but we were only shore fishing.

Alex
07-05-2006, 12:31 PM
Wow that looks amazing, where is this place at? Can you drive to the campgrounds?

basilone0331
07-05-2006, 12:48 PM
Its in the Windriver mountains in Wyoming near Lander, yes you can drive to the camp ground, there is a 15 mile section of dirt road you have to drive on but all cars can make it. You have to hike to Upper Silas and Lower Silas lakes, there are backpacking sites at Upper Silas lake. There are several different camp ground in the area. Its is about 4 1/2 hours from Salt Lake to the camp ground ( if you believe the speed limit is only a recommendation) :cool2:

Sombeech
07-05-2006, 12:53 PM
Cool. We'll be starting at the Elkhart park TH in 2-1/2 weeks. :cool2:

How was the fishing, other than that trophy you're holding? :haha: What did you catch it on?

Shan
07-05-2006, 01:20 PM
Gorgeous pics!

I once brought the completely wrong set of tent poles (we have 2 backpacking tents) and you should have seen the set up I conjured up!

basilone0331
07-05-2006, 03:43 PM
How was the fishing, other than that trophy you're holding? :haha: What did you catch it on?
The fishing wasn't bad for me I caught about 50 total fly fishing using mostly a royal wolfe, my friend was using lures and caught about 20 total. The biggest was probably about 10" with the average fish caught being about 6"

Sombeech
07-06-2006, 07:38 AM
How are the bugs up there?

basilone0331
07-06-2006, 02:03 PM
The bugs weren't too bad but I was glad to have insect repellant.

Shan
07-06-2006, 02:07 PM
I went in July a while ago and I wore head nets when I sat around in camp.

Sombeech
07-06-2006, 02:09 PM

That bad, huh?

Shan
07-06-2006, 02:15 PM

That bad, huh?

I would be very prepared! You can make a simple head net with some soft netting, fold it over and sew the sides. That's what mine was.

basilone0331
07-07-2006, 12:10 AM
It was just fine for me with just repellant on, no need for a head net.

basilone0331
09-24-2007, 09:18 PM
I went back this year to the same spot, I know, I know I have been lazy. I went up there for my annual fishing trip. We setup camp at Fiddlers Lake, fished the rest of the day. The next day we hiked up to Upper Silas Lake and camped there for overnight. We were debating if we wanted to bring a tent or just ponchos, we ended up bringing the tents and it ended up raining all night. The fishing wasn't as great as last year but not bad. I hiked waders up to the lake, I was regretting that at around the 4 mile mark.