PDA

View Full Version : Soitgos . . .

soitgos
06-29-2006, 05:25 AM
Hi. Someone sent me a link to this site some time ago, but I'm just getting around to joining. My name is Steve Christensen. I live in Price. I enjoy most outdoor activities, but my passion is floating rivers. I've been on a few and would be happy to answer questions people might have. I noticed in one post a reference to the Utahrafters email group. I started that group several years ago. We have about 850 members. It's a wealth of information. Let me know if you are interested in joining. I noticed one of the topics is Class 5 rapids. I have a few stories I'll share when the time seems appropriate. Someone asked about getting a group together. My agency has a rental program and I'd be happy to help with arrangements, logistics, etc. I'm excited to get acquainted.

Iceaxe
06-29-2006, 07:29 AM
:2thumbs: Welcome :2thumbs:

The more the marrier. The picture is the Price River I'm guessing?

accadacca
06-29-2006, 07:30 AM
Hey Steve! Welcome to uutah and nice to meet you. :2thumbs:

Sombeech
06-29-2006, 08:35 AM
I noticed in one post a reference to the Utahrafters email group. I started that group several years ago. We have about 850 members.

Hey, pretty cool, Steve! Welcome to the forum. You'll be a good man to have around. :nod:

rockgremlin
06-29-2006, 09:58 AM
Hey Steve...

Interested in being a moderator for the kayaking and rafting sections of this forum? That section is pretty low key, but it needs an expert like you.

Welcome aboard! :2thumbs:

rock_ski_cowboy
06-29-2006, 10:35 AM
Hey Steve...

Interested in being a moderator for the kayaking and rafting sections of this forum? That section is pretty low key, but it needs an expert like you.

Welcome aboard! :2thumbs:

Now would be a good time to remind y'all that kayaking and rafting would fit better into a "whitewater" section... maybe make the other section "canoeing and flatwater kayaking" or something...

rockgremlin
06-29-2006, 10:47 AM
Good call Rock. That way we could eliminate one topic altogether. We could combine River Rafting with Kayaking, and designate it a Whitewater section. We could probably cut out canoeing altogether. The canoe people can post in the boating section.

Iceaxe
06-29-2006, 10:49 AM
I agree with Rock.... make the section "Whitewater" Rafting and Kayak!

Something else to think about Steve.... Several of the Utah type Yahoo groups have been folding into Uutah over the last 6 months. Uutah has several major advantages over Yahoo. Including catagorized sections, Photo's can be attached to Trip Reports. Video is welcome and encouraged. The forum has a large, searchable database. Yahoo is nice but you have to wade through a lot of crap to get to the goodies. If you were interested Accadacca is the guy to talk with.... or just post something here and he will get a hold of you.

Anyhoo..... nice to have some experiance aboard ship :bootyshake:

Sombeech
06-29-2006, 10:53 AM
The closest I ever get to "rafting" is tubing at Lava Hot Springs. I'm never sure which section to post it in.

Since both topics are still small, what if we just label it "On the River"? This would put anything on the river (besides fishing) here. When it grows over a couple of pages, we could split it up from there and refine it further? :ne_nau:

rockgremlin
06-29-2006, 11:25 AM
Since both topics are still small, what if we just label it "On the River"? This would put anything on the river (besides fishing) here. When it grows over a couple of pages, we could split it up from there and refine it further? :ne_nau:

At first I wanted to do this too, but there is a very clear distinction between the whitewater folks and everything else.

Iceaxe
06-29-2006, 11:43 AM
The sections should be...

Rafting and Kayaking

Canoeing and Tubing

Whitewater should have its own section.... you can fiddle with the names but it should shake out into two groups..... Whitewater & Flatwater

Sombeech
06-29-2006, 11:55 AM
The problem is, there are only 18 COMBINED topics between these two forums. If we combined it to one, then waited for a couple of pages to build, we could split it from there.

rock_ski_cowboy
06-29-2006, 12:12 PM
Either way. Its just kind of awkward as it stands. Most whitewater folks aren't going to want to read about tubing or flatwater canoeing (including lakes... so "on the river" doesn't quite cut it) , but there is a lot of crossover between rafters and kayakers and many people do some of both (such as steve and I).

Iceaxe
06-29-2006, 12:24 PM
I agree with Rock....

The way it currently stands is just wrong..... kinda like saying Hikers and ATV's should be in the same section because they use the same trail ;-)