PDA

View Full Version : Guacamole is now Smokamole

Shuntavi
06-28-2006, 09:33 AM
It looks like the infamous Kolob Fire has burned the complete Guacamole trail area. It is still closed by the firefighters so we have not been up there to see the damage yet. Of course the trail is mostly on slickrock and the remainder on singletrack through the trees and brush. The trail will still exist but our juniper, pines and sagebrush will be gone it looks like.

accadacca
06-28-2006, 09:38 AM
Oh man that SUCKS!! :frustrated:

Is it close to any other bike trails??

Doesn't look like it....the river is saving us.

Sombeech
06-28-2006, 10:44 AM
AWWW, Crap!! How long does it usually take for that kind of environment to recover?

KillEmAll
06-28-2006, 10:47 AM
Man, that's too bad. I guess it can still be ridden, just won't be as pretty. I wonder how long they'll close the area down?

Sombeech
06-29-2006, 09:08 AM
I've never been on Slickrock Swamp, but isn't this pretty close to it?

Shuntavi
06-29-2006, 11:02 AM
Slickrock Swamp Trail is on the mesa between Rockville and the Chinle trail on the above map. That area escaped the burn this time. That trail has been officialy closed by BLM but there are still many who ride it. I won't ride it until they clear up the issues.

mroy
06-30-2006, 08:59 AM
I hate seeing an area get burned, but you know, part of me is really glad cause I had some nasty scrapes from the brush after I rode it last November, and now I could come out of it unscathed, assuming I didn't crash & stuff. But I think a little blood = a good ride any day. Just not from brush.

greyhair biker
08-01-2006, 10:25 PM
Oh Man! it's gonna be eerie riding the trail now - if it opens back up again - that' sure was a blast on the February ride!

Shuntavi
08-23-2006, 08:10 PM
We have ridden Guacamole about 3 or 4 times since the fire and it is still an awesome trail. Only about 1/2 of the trail area got burned and it is the lower half. It actually added a new dimension to the riding there. You can really explore the slickrock more because of the lack of barriers, like trees and thick brush. It really is a sweet place to ride.

accadacca
08-23-2006, 08:45 PM
Cool! Thanks for the update Shuntavi. :2thumbs:

Sombeech
08-23-2006, 09:35 PM
I'll bet that's a good method of getting that trail worn in, because of the lack of green? :ne_nau: