PDA

View Full Version : Gooseberry Mesa doable in summer heat?

Uliston
06-27-2006, 12:46 PM
Just wondering if an overnighter to Gooseberry Mesa is out of the question during the summer? Too hot? I have never been there before, but we're considering an August overnighter.

James_B_Wads2000
06-27-2006, 01:25 PM
Just wondering if an overnighter to Gooseberry Mesa is out of the question during the summer? Too hot? I have never been there before, but we're considering an August overnighter.

It could be done, but come on your from Vegas, you know the drill. Lots of water, lots of sun block, start early and so on.

But if I were you and I had a hankerin

accadacca
06-27-2006, 02:03 PM
Gooseberry is actually a little higher than St. George. But still pretty dang hot. It is an epic ride and IMO one of the best in the state. But yeah lots of water and go early.. :blahblah:

ogdmfg
06-27-2006, 02:07 PM
gooseberry wil feel like the face of the sun in august

Sombeech
06-27-2006, 11:18 PM
If you're doing a campover at the trailhead, no problem! You don't have to count for travel time to get there.

Just start at 7:00 am, and you're done EASILY by 11:00 am. I'd say do it. :nod:

accadacca
06-28-2006, 08:50 AM
Yup, as Nachos brother said. I wouldn't hesitate doing it in August. In fact I wound ride it anytime of the year that I could get a vehical up there. I just love it!! :naughty:

Shuntavi
06-28-2006, 09:41 AM
Gooseberry in August is fine if you are an adapted desert dweller and in great shape and acclimated to the heat. I have ridden the Goose twice in the last two weeks and it was fine. But, we got up early and we were riding at sunrise. We rode till about noon and then retired to home and took a cool shower and relaxed in air conditioned comfort.

We are hitting Brian Head this weekend to get out of the heat and smoke from all the fires here.

KillEmAll
06-28-2006, 10:42 AM
I'm not trying to dissuade you but here's a link you might want to read before going. It's a sad reminder how deadly the heat can be. Granted the porcupine trail is a lot hotter than Gooseberry.

http://ogrehut.com/trails.php/TheFamily/120Sylvia

Shuntavi
06-28-2006, 01:32 PM
I agree totally with KillEmAll about being careful in the heat. I think what often happens is that people live in cooler areas or sit in air conditioning all day and they are not used to the heat and dry conditions that we have out here. Growing up I used to work 8 hours in the St. George sun doing concrete work and your body gets used to it. I remember drinking water constantly and easily drank a gallon or two. Now, how many bikers are used to this kind of heat when they travel to S. Utah from some other area or even from Vegas where the buildings feel like winter. Then they hit the heat and don't drink enough and forget their electrolytes and bonk.

I would recommend to all to be real careful, even our N. Utah buddies who may not be used to the heat. I drink a lot of water beforehand, hydrating starting the night before a ride, then I take 100oz bladder in my camel back and then another container of electrolyte energy drink. This seems to do it. I also carry electrolyte tablets made from the minerals of the Great Salt Lake. They are awesome.

Good luck

PS The prior link is a sad tale and my heart goes out to the family. What a tragedy to loose a loved one doing something we all love so much.