PDA

View Full Version : Hey folks

Alex
06-22-2006, 07:46 AM
Been lurking on the site for quite some time. Decided to finally post a hey and lurk some more :)

Lived in Utah since 1990, came from ex-USSR. Love the Utah outdoors and all the crazy hippies that come with it. Utah outdoorsians are the coolest folks around, every time I go to Bryce or Zion canyons and see all the none smiling Germans or none Utahns out there, it makes me smile and greet every one of those bastards. How can you enjoy the awesome scenery without a good attitude.... crazy people.

Anyways, my latest craving is rafting, hitting Westwater on Aug 11th, has anyone ran it before? Any suggestions on approaches? It's my first time down that canyon.

accadacca
06-22-2006, 08:26 AM
Welcome to the best place to meet hippies, uutah.com. :crazy:

Sombeech
06-22-2006, 09:01 AM
Welcome to the site! Be sure to take a lot of pictures on your rafting trip. We'd love to see them. :nod:

Oh, and none of us are crazy here.

http://uutah.com/forum/files/bst_605__6_.jpg

Alex
06-22-2006, 09:24 AM
I looked at a lot of pics on this site, so I am very familiar with the Fro, what a great attitude man! More power to ya!

I always take pics, I don't leave anywhere without my camera :)

http://utahbp.com

Scott P
06-22-2006, 12:22 PM
Welcome.

Alex
06-22-2006, 12:43 PM
[quote=Scott Patterson]If you want to come to a forum, where you can go to discuss the outdoors, sorry, but this one isn

KillEmAll
06-22-2006, 12:47 PM
Welcome. I checked out your site. Nice pictures man.

James_B_Wads2000
06-22-2006, 02:07 PM
Welcome aboard!!Great site of yours. Waking up on the East Rim in the snow looked like it sucked. Most of the time that creek you guys had to cross above Weeping Rock is bone dry. Glad you weren

rockgremlin
06-22-2006, 04:37 PM

...?

Iceaxe
06-22-2006, 05:06 PM
:2thumbs: Welcome :2thumbs:

DirkHammergate
06-23-2006, 10:47 PM
I work with 25,000 under age kids who send me hate e-mails every day, so I am used to flames :)

So.... you're on MYSpace all day? Hi Friend.

Alex
06-24-2006, 01:11 PM
LOL no, I am the myspace hater, I work as a sys admin for the local school district (Weber County)

PS: Thanks for hot linking the pics, I will do that from now on. And thanks for the welcome to all.

accadacca
06-24-2006, 01:44 PM
Yeah, that my shhhhhh** is the biggest garbage pail on the Internet. Yet, one of the most popular. :roll:

Alex
06-24-2006, 01:58 PM
[quote=James_B_Wads2000]Welcome aboard!!Great site of yours. Waking up on the East Rim in the snow looked like it sucked. Most of the time that creek you guys had to cross above Weeping Rock is bone dry. Glad you weren

Alex
06-24-2006, 02:00 PM
Yeah, that my shhhhhh** is the biggest garbage pail on the Internet. Yet, one of the most popular. :roll:

That site causes use so much trouble. Have the time we spend tracking down how the kids accessed it from the district network. We spent a lot of money into expensive proxies, but those bastards still able to access it one way or the other.... job security I guess.

soitgos
06-29-2006, 06:43 AM
Did you the information you wanted on Westwater? If not, I would be happy to share what I know. I've been down a few times.
Steve

Alex
06-29-2006, 07:39 AM
Thanks Steve.

1. How long is the shuttle? Is it possible to catch a ride with someone else?
2. I understand the hardest spot is the Skull, any advice on approach on that rapid? Can I scout it ahead of time?
3. We will be launching around 4-5PM, is it really late? I plan on going about 2-3 hours the first day and then breaking for a camp.

And any other info you think could benefit a WW newbie :)

Thank you!

rock_ski_cowboy
06-29-2006, 10:17 AM
Thanks Steve.

1. How long is the shuttle? Is it possible to catch a ride with someone else?
2. I understand the hardest spot is the Skull, any advice on approach on that rapid? Can I scout it ahead of time?
3. We will be launching around 4-5PM, is it really late? I plan on going about 2-3 hours the first day and then breaking for a camp.

And any other info you think could benefit a WW newbie :)

Thank you!

I'm not Steve, and its been a few years since I've done the run so my memory is fuzzy. Hopefully Steve will post so you can get a differing viewpoint.

1) Shuttle is 30 minutes or so. You may be able to catch a ride. We did once. Maybe not though, and that would suck.
2) We have never scouted Skull. First time we just followed someone who knew through, and since then we've known how to do it and just done it. Guide books say its scoutable on the left about 100 feet above the rapid, but it would be easy to miss, as the river is moving quickly and there isn't much of a shoreline. You'll know you've missed the scout when the river narrows, drops out of sight, and you see the room of doom coming up on the right. It looks like the river started to cut a channel straight, and then changed its mind and took a hard left, creating the room of doom, and the "rock of shock" buttress which splits it off from the main channel. Directly above the room of doom on the right half of the river is the big hole (more of a pourover at lower levels) formed by skull rock. Every time I've run it, i've always passed the smaller pourover or rock at top left and pulled left like a maniac to avoid the hole. Timing is everything.

3. A good camp is on the left at the first rapid. I forgot the name. If thats the one you're shooting for, hopefully the camp isn't taken because after that the canyon narrows up and starts dropping. 4 seems like it would be ok if you're camping before the rapids. Just don't be late and don't go too far. 8 pm seems like a little late to target for camp in case anything goes wrong or the camps are taken. We typically try to get in at 5 or 6 just in case we have to go for an extra hour or three (which happens). Hopefully the ranger will know where other people are planning on camping and can tell you where to go.

Good luck and have fun! Westwater is great. I'm bummed my Dad and mom won't run it anymore since they flipped in skull and almost killed our bishop... I'm going to have to start running it on my own soon.

soitgos
06-29-2006, 10:20 AM
The shuttle takes about an hour and a half round trip. There are lots of good campsites above the main canyon, so your late start shouldn't be a big problem.

Skull Rapid is a bit tricky if you haven't seen it before. There is a huge hole about halfway through the rapid that can easily capsize a raft. You need to do a left back ferry and pull very hard as soon as you enter the drop. Break through the lateral, straighten the raft and you can slide down the left side away from the hole. If you do it right, it's usually not that difficult. If you don't, the consequences can be an upside down boat. However, there are other rapids that have the capability of capsizing a raft as well. Get a map and know where you are. The trip is 17 miles long. The first class 3 rapid is at about mile 7. The next is about a mile further. From there, you encounter 9 class 3 and four rapids in less than three miles. At the current water level they are all pool and drop, and there is recovery time below each. You don't want to mess up in Funnel Falls, because Skull looms. You can scout skull on the left. However, the eddy is very close to the drop and the problem is then getting back out into the flow and set up before you enter the drop. Being out of position could easily mean you can't make the left pull. If you go into the hole sideways, you will capsize. I would never scout Skull, even with a first-time rower. What I tell people who are following me is to just do what I do, even if it looks wrong. It may be worth the scout if you are alone. You'll have to make that call. Hope this helps.

rock_ski_cowboy
06-29-2006, 10:29 AM
The shuttle takes about an hour and a half round trip. There are lots of good campsites above the main canyon, so your late start shouldn't be a big problem.
It may be worth the scout if you are alone. You'll have to make that call. Hope this helps.

Oh yeah I was thinking one-way on the shuttle... hour and a half roundtrip sounds right.

Scouting also may be problematic if you have more than a few boats. I've seen people start left and then get swept into the hole and flipped. The key is setting up with a good angle and then the hard back ferry to the left.

Alex
06-29-2006, 02:35 PM
Awesome, great advice guys.

I think I will take my chances and go with the flow (literally). I will be on a 18 foot cat, so hopefully that will help my stability. From reading about the Skull, I gather the left approach and hard left pull would keep me from flipping. Then that's what I am doing :)