PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a combo rod

Sombeech
06-21-2006, 01:20 PM
I'd like a decent (meaning cheap) 4pc fly/casting rod. How's Eagle Claw?

I'm going to take this backpacking.

icthys
06-21-2006, 01:26 PM
I've got a 5 piece and I still feel it's to long for backpacking. I'd prefer a 7 piece. I'm not sure how well it will work as a casting rod also but this is what I've got in the 8'6" 5 wt. I use it for 70% of my fishing right now.

link here (http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20431&id=0029773314526a&navCount=2&podId=0029773&parentId=cat20457&navAction=push&catalogCode=QT&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20457&hasJS=true)

shagster
06-21-2006, 03:28 PM
That's what I use in the back country, a good ole Eagle Claw spin/fly combo. It is great for backpacking or just anywhere else you want to fish. Very strong and last a long time :naughty: . I am talking about the fishing pole don't worry.

Sombeech
06-21-2006, 03:41 PM
That's what I use in the back country, a good ole Eagle Claw spin/fly combo. It is great for backpacking or just anywhere else you want to fish. Very strong and last a long time :naughty: . I am talking about the fishing pole don't worry.

Where did you get it, how much? 4 piece?

shagster
06-26-2006, 02:59 PM
Cabelas has an eagle claw on sale for 39.99, it's a 7'6" pole. Take a look at this link.
Link Here (http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=fishsale-home061806&id=0013034116645a&navCount=0&podId=0013034&parentId=cat21428&navAction=push&catalogCode=IG&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat21428&hasJS=true)

I am heading out to Smith and Edwards this evening I will give you a qoute on what they have.

REDFOX
06-26-2006, 08:15 PM
I would advise buying the best fly rod that you can. Any spinning reel will mount to a fly rod. My experience with combo kits are that they terrible spinning rods and a complete waste of time to throw a fly line. The cheapest fly rods are still 10 times better than a combo unit. An inexpensive spinning rod has better action than the short bulky fly/spin combos.

shagster
06-27-2006, 08:38 AM
Well I didn't make it to Smith and Edwards last night, but I did stop in at Cal Ranch. The same Eagle Claw combo pole is $21.99 in at Cal Ranch in Farr West. Good Luck.

Sombeech
06-27-2006, 08:44 AM
The same Eagle Claw combo pole is $21.99 in at Cal Ranch in Farr West. Good Luck.

That sounds like the place I'm headed.

As far as quality goes, I'm just looking for medium quality. I brought my nice Orvis fly rod to the Wind Rivers last year and ended up losing the top half.

Then, I resorted to the Wal-Mart $15 special, and that's when I caught my biggest fish yet. All I need is a rod that won't come disconnected when I cast.

accadacca
06-27-2006, 10:54 AM
All I need is a rod that won't come disconnected when I cast.
:lol8: :lol8: :lol8:

icthys
06-27-2006, 10:56 AM
I don't think it was the rod that came disconnected.

accadacca
06-27-2006, 10:58 AM
I don't think it was the rod that came disconnected.
:smilehah: :fakelaugh:

shagster
06-27-2006, 11:12 AM
You won't have anything to worry about with the Eagle Claw pack rods, they are a good quality rod that won't come disconnected when you cast. In fact I think that I am going to get me another just as a backup pole. You can't beat that price. :2thumbs: Speaking of Wind Rivers any word on dates yet? I have the time off, but I may have to work the last part of the week. Let me know.

accadacca
06-27-2006, 02:05 PM
Speaking of Wind Rivers any word on dates yet? I have the time off, but I may have to work the last part of the week. Let me know.
Yeah, waz up. Last I heard was the 24th deal and then no word. Are we goin'? :ne_nau:

chickenlicken
06-28-2006, 06:07 AM
Too bad you lost that section to your rod. Here is a tip...when assembling the sections of your rod, don't just push the sections straight together. Instead off set your guides by 1/4 turn, then insert it as far as usual. when the sections are "seated" align the guides. This will prevent casting the upper sections of your rod into the lake. This works with fly rods as well as spinning rods.

Sombeech
06-28-2006, 08:01 AM
Speaking of Wind Rivers any word on dates yet? I have the time off, but I may have to work the last part of the week. Let me know.
Yeah, waz up. Last I heard was the 24th deal and then no word. Are we goin'? :ne_nau:

I'll email you guys. I think we've got some good dates figured out. :2thumbs:

KillEmAll
06-28-2006, 09:02 AM
This will prevent casting the upper sections of your rod into the lake. This works with fly rods as well as spinning rods.

Good suggestion chickenlicken. The funny thing is (I'm sorry Sombeech, it's not funny :cry:) it got snagged in a tree while bushwacking down to the lake. The tip caught on a branch and slid right out of his pack before he noticed it, like he got pickpocketed by smokey the bear. By the time he realized it was missing it was too late. There was no way to find it. Then he caught the biggest fish this side of the Pecos with his other rod and made up for it.

accadacca
06-28-2006, 09:41 AM
Good suggestion chickenlicken. The funny thing is (I'm sorry Sombeech, it's not funny :cry:) it got snagged in a tree while bushwacking down to the lake. The tip caught on a branch and slid right out of his pack before he noticed it, like he got pickpocketed by smokey the bear. By the time he realized it was missing it was too late. There was no way to find it. Then he caught the biggest fish this side of the Pecos with his other rod and made up for it.
:lol8: :roflol: :lol8:

Sombeech
06-28-2006, 12:12 PM
like he got pickpocketed by smokey the bear. By the time he realized it was missing it was too late. There was no way to find it.

Exactly. Just so everybody knows, this is the ONLY fish I ever caught on my nice Orvis rod, which is now property of Smokey the Bear.

http://uutah.com/forum/files/trophy.jpg

Sombeech
06-28-2006, 01:44 PM
The same Eagle Claw combo pole is $21.99 in at Cal Ranch in Farr West. Good Luck.

Got it. Thanks man.