PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report Wall Lake

icthys
06-19-2006, 07:50 AM
Took another easy one on Saturday. I spent all day finishing up my deck and didn't get to Crystal Lake trailhead until 5:00 pm. There were lots of people parked in the parking lot but we only saw two other hiking groups and two scout groups on the other side of the lake so I think most were just hanging out at Washington.

Big purpose of the trip was to put together an itinerary for my 11 year old scouts to pass off some map & compass and a 5 mile hike requirement this week. I wanted to make sure the boys could make it through any snow and find out how long it'd take. There is still some snow and drifts 4' deep but they are easily passable and keeping on the trail wasn't a problem. If you were to take off up to Long lake I'm sure you'd have more trouble with the snow.

We hiked up to Wall Lake, over to Twin and Clyde Lakes, and back down to the trailhead. We also stopped for a little dinner.

Wasatch Rebel
06-20-2006, 08:00 PM
Wall Lake is pretty nice, especially for the young'uns who can't hike real far. I've been their twice, once in the winter of '76. We were just out of school for Christmas break and didn't know what in the world we were doing. There was a foot of ice on the lake, and we had shotguns and tried to blast holes through the ice with them, but of course, it would've taken twenty shots to get through. One kid who was with us ended up spending a few days in the hospital with pneumonia.
The second time I went was with my two boys when they were young (around 6 and 8 or so). The mosquitoes were so thick--I don't think I've ever seen them worse. Just picked a bad time to go I guess.

mudjumper
07-14-2006, 10:14 AM
Big purpose of the trip was to put together an itinerary for my 11 year old scouts to pass off some map & compass and a 5 mile hike requirement this week.

Would you be willing to share that route you set up? I've got some scouts that need to do the very same thing.

Thanks,

Russ

Shan
07-14-2006, 10:25 AM
Nice photos!

icthys
07-14-2006, 12:08 PM
Big purpose of the trip was to put together an itinerary for my 11 year old scouts to pass off some map & compass and a 5 mile hike requirement this week.

Would you be willing to share that route you set up? I've got some scouts that need to do the very same thing.

Thanks,

Russ

We started at the Crystal Lake TH and headed north on the trail that goes straight up to Wall Lake. Continue on the trail up towards Notch Pass, once you get to a point where you can, hop off the trail and skip on over to Twin Lakes. From Twin Lakes go on up to Clyde Lake and from Clyde Lake take the trail back down to the TH. It's just a big loop. At each junction point I'd have the scouts orient the map and figure out which way to go and at what coordinates with the compass. I even incorporated the GPS into one location so they could get the idea on how they work. It ended up being a really good hike and everyone made it, even the dads.

If you need a little more detail of some GPS points just let me know.

mudjumper
07-27-2006, 07:55 AM
If you need a little more detail of some GPS points just let me know.

I'd love some. I've done that loop before with my kids, but wasn't in scouts at the time, nor did I have my GPS.

Thanks!

Russ