PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Hardwear

BrokenHorn
06-15-2006, 03:55 PM
I have been looking for a 20 degree down bag for a few months now. I was set ang going to buy the Kelty 25 degree bag for 145.00 (I think it was) at Sportsmans.

This afternoon I was in Logan and ran into Al's "just to see what they had." Low and behold, A Mountain Hardwear 20 degree down bag for 155.00 just 600 fill. 2.7 pounds

Now for another "C" note I could have one that weight 1.5 pounds with 800 fill.

I ended up with the 155.00 one. Figured it was a better value. So now that I have ditched my 6 pound tent for a 1 pound bivy and a 0ne pound tarp I have reduced my pack weight by about 6 pounds. Pretty significant I believe!

Now I'm itchin' to get out backpackin'

accadacca
06-16-2006, 08:05 AM
Welcome to the bivy fold! :cool2: Great way to go... :five:

mroy
06-16-2006, 09:02 AM
So now that I have ditched my 6 pound tent for a 1 pound bivy and a 0ne pound tarp I have reduced my pack weight by about 6 pounds. Pretty significant I believe

Ha ha, so it begins, the downward spiral of your bank's account balance and the weight of your pack. You're not alone.

desertrat222
06-16-2006, 10:30 PM
:2thumbs: Awesome, what backpack do you use?

RedMan
06-17-2006, 08:54 AM
The good news is your wallet gets lighter at the same rate as your pack.
Thats good right??

Which Bivy? I need a new one.

My tarp is also my poncho. I wish I new who made it. It is the toughest thing I ever owned. Also very light.

BrokenHorn
06-17-2006, 10:24 AM
Well, the good news is that these items are pretty much the last things to get, so now that my acc. Balance is in the red I'm done. :ne_nau:

I have an Outdoor Research deluxe bivy. I got it off of e-bay during the off season and was able to get a screamin' deal. A 180.00 bivy for 85.00 :2thumbs:

I purchased the silnylon from a fabric store and then had my mom sew it up. Cost = 40.00 Kirkhams had one out last year and they wanted 120.00 for it.

The only thing I haven't tested is the tarp. I used my bivy last year a couple times and really liked the open feeling. I reminded me of when I was a kid looking up at the stars. The tarp I will take along with me. If the clouds start rolling in then I will set it up.