PDA

View Full Version : Echo and Pine Creek

shaggy125
06-13-2006, 11:36 AM
Went down to Zion with a newbie from work. He bragged and bragged about how much rappelling etc.. he's done with his brother blah blah blah. I took him up Big Cottonwood Canyon to do some practice rappelling and he did fine, but definitely didn't have as much experience as he claimed. We had a couple people who were going to come and ended up not so it turned out to only be the two of us. We did Echo first, and Dan did great, he freaked out a few times about the deep water and awkward starts but had a great time. We finished around noon, rode the shuttle back to the VC, ate some lunch and headed up to Pine Creek. Once we dropped in we met another group and they invited us to go down the canyon with them. I hesitated because it would slow us down but it might be nice since Dan is new to have some other experienced guys along. We ended up piggybacking the drops and their help proved to be invaluable. Dan got REALLY freaked out on some of the longer rappels, but having a big group reassuring him got him through it. We went ahead to the second to last drop and Dan gave up, he would freak when I would get within 10 feet of the edge and kept saying he didn't feel good about this next rappel because the wind was blowing and he was afraid he would die. Luckily the group we had been with the rest of the day showed up and dropped first to show him that things would be fine. All in all it was a great trip, hopefully I didn't scar Dan for life. After he got to the bottom alive he seemed to be feeling much better and I'm sure he'll be bragging at work about what a great time he had and will have forgotten how freaked out he actually got :roll: .

I accidentally left the video camera in the car for Pine Creek, but here is the Echo video:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=617454342205559372&q

And the high quality version (requires Google Video Player):

http://video.google.com/videogvp/EchoCanyonZionNation.gvp?docid=617454342205559372

rockgremlin
06-13-2006, 12:10 PM
:haha: :haha: That's funny!! I've got a few friends like that! Whenever we get together and talk about "this one time" we did the Squeeze together, their palms get all clammy, and they start to stammer. But I know when I'm not around, they are bragging up a storm.

stefan
06-13-2006, 12:50 PM
as i mentioned elsewhere...cool vid! i forgot how dark it gets in there.

just wanted to mention to the mac users that the there is a version of Google Video Player for the Mac which you can download here...

http://video.google.com/playerdownload_mac.html

it's definitely worth it!!

hike2kolob
06-13-2006, 02:05 PM
Great video as usual. How wet was pine creek? Did you use wetsuits?

shaggy125
06-13-2006, 02:58 PM
Great video as usual. How wet was pine creek? Did you use wetsuits?

Pine Creek was drier than normal, but not bone dry. There was one swimmer in the Cathedral, but all other pools were waders. Even the cathedral swim was shorter than usual though, waist deep at the end of the rap, then over the head before going under the bridges. We wore wetsuits, but if you don't get cold easy you could do it without I'm sure.

Eric.

shagster
06-13-2006, 03:47 PM
Awesome video man, I would love to learn how to do that stuff and get into it. That is on my to do list for sure.

Iceaxe
06-13-2006, 04:16 PM
Damn Shaaggy I just have to ask......

Saturday afternoon about 3pm we saw a group coming out of Pine Creek. We pulled up next to the group and I leaned out of the Rover and asked "What are the water conditions in Pine Creek?"

The fella I asked just looked at me like I was a martian with really big tits.....

I asked again. "How is the water in Pine Creek, do we need wetsuits?"

The fella is kinda off in space and replies "Do you mean the rappels?"

I answer "Yes, if we want to do the rappels in Pine Creek do we need a wetsuit?"

He replied "yeah, it is really cold".

Anyhoo..... the time frame fits. Any of this sound familiar????

Did I meet Dan?

:popcorn:

marc olivares
06-13-2006, 04:23 PM
Shane,
you left out the part where as we were driving a way
you were waying your fist and howlering
"DON'T YOU KNOW WHO I AM...... DUMBASS!!!!"

:roflol:

Iceaxe
06-13-2006, 05:28 PM

:2thumbs:

I'm trying to be a little nicer ever since you guys told me I would be the first person voted off the island :lol8:

shaggy125
06-13-2006, 06:56 PM
Did I meet Dan?

Nope not us, we didn't get out until around 5:00 or 6:00 p.m.

Sombeech
06-13-2006, 08:13 PM
Shane,
you left out the part where as we were driving a way
you were waying your fist and howlering

:toofunny: