PDA

View Full Version : When do the Uinta trails open up?

hike2kolob
06-01-2006, 12:23 PM
I am itching to go backpacking? When do the trails open up in the Uintas? To say Naturalist Basin or similar elevations. Is there a website where I can moniter conditions?

Thanks.

Jason

James_B_Wads2000
06-01-2006, 01:04 PM
I would say not until after the 4th of July do most of the High Untias turn to snow free conditions. You could call the forest service in Kamas for all the details. Last I had heard was the Mirror Lake Highway was closed before Bald Mountain Pass over Memorial Day Weekend.

There are plenty of places that are in prime condition for backpacking IMO. Boulder Mail Trail, Coyote Gulch, Hackberry Canyon, Grand Gulch, Buckskin Gulch, West Rim, Hop Valley. If your into mountains then the Deep Creek Mountains and Stansbury Mountains are clear except for the tops of the peaks. I bet in a couple of weeks the Summit trail in the Pine Valley Mountains would be clear.

That

Mtnman1830
06-01-2006, 01:44 PM
Me and some friends went to Signal Peak, near Cedar City (nowhere near the Uintahs) but there was still snow up to our knees on the slopes, and in the meadows, water to our ankles.
( elevation 10,000)

shaggy125
06-01-2006, 02:16 PM
Naturalist Basin is a great first Uinta trip of the season, I used to go up there every summer, except I didn't make it last year. There are waterfalls all over the place if you can make it up before the snow melt ends. I've been later in the year and about 80% of the waterfalls, including the tallest, are dried up. The rangers can be a bad source for snow info, I've asked before and the Ranger told me the trail would be absolutely impassable, then I had some time to waste a day or two later and decided to drive up to check it out, there was hardly any snow on the trail at all. We hiked that weekend and ran into pretty much no snow, just a couple muddy spots in the basin its self. Probably depends on who you talk to. It's on the south slope which means it will be snow free significantly sooner than the north slope. I'd guess you have AT LEAST a few weeks after the road opens before you can start thinking about heading up there without snowshoes. But seriously, who goes to the Uinta's anymore :roll: ? It's all about the Wind Rivers now, isn't it?

Eric.

Here are some photo's of waterfalls, and a short video of one of my favorite places in all the Uintas, a spot I call the Giants Staircase. Consists of about 7 or 8 small waterfalls along what looks like a giants staircase.

hike2kolob
06-01-2006, 02:33 PM
Thank you all for the replys and suggestions. Great pics Eric!

You would think after all these years I would realize there is no "h" in Uinta (no wonder it looked funny).

What I am really looking to do is backpack and fish. I took a trip (for the first time in a long time) to each of Four Lakes Basin in the Uintas and to the Wind Rivers last year, but they were later in the year (end of July and mid-August). I had a blast, so I am itchin' to get out again and figured that the Uintas would open up earlier than the Wind Rivers. I guess I will watch for the road to open and use the phone. I don't mind hiking in a little mud, as long as I don't have to camp in it.

Til then I will try to bag some more canyons or do some day fishing on a few streams.

Jason

accadacca
06-01-2006, 06:20 PM
But seriously, who goes to the Uinta's anymore :roll: ? It's all about the Wind Rivers now, isn't it?
:lol8:

stefan
06-01-2006, 07:23 PM
But seriously, who goes to the Uinta's anymore :roll: ? It's all about the Wind Rivers now, isn't it?

Wind Rivers??? Man, you gotta check out the real stuff in Canada and Alaska. You're talking child's play here. :haha:

Sombeech
06-01-2006, 08:17 PM

The main reason we're going back this year is to help accadacca redeem himself by catching the monster that got away. :haha:

I think I've seen your pics of naturalist basin before, and that's made me really want to get there. I love those waterfall pics, I just don't think it will happen before the snow melts.

accadacca
06-01-2006, 09:55 PM
This story has some recent pictures and video: http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=290306

Scott P
06-02-2006, 06:43 AM
BETA DELETED

hike2kolob
06-02-2006, 01:44 PM
This story has some recent pictures and video: http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=290306

Thanks! Still looks like a ton of snow.

Uintah County and Uintah (town) are still spelled with an "h". Only the mountain range was changed to drop the "h".

PS, try Allsop Lake sometime. More scenic than Naturalist Basin with nice rugged peaks.

Ahhh! That's why I was screwed up. I would love to check out Allsop Lake. How is the fishing? I have not been up to east fork of the bear since I was a wee scout.

Sombeech
06-02-2006, 03:49 PM
PS, try Allsop Lake sometime. More scenic than Naturalist Basin with nice rugged peaks.

You would say it's more scenic? I thought those waterfalls were awesome, but I guess you've got to get up there early enough.

I love Allsop Lake, I've been up there probably 5 times. Here's my post over a year and a half ago on it, but only a few pics.

http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23

Scott P
06-08-2006, 09:42 PM
BETA DELETED

Shan
06-12-2006, 12:13 PM
Up in Logan we still have some snow up high. This is Tony Grove Lake yesterday (8,000 feet?). 7 days ago, the road was still snowed in.

hike2kolob
06-12-2006, 08:23 PM
Thanks! It looks like after I get back from Zion in a couple of weeks, the Unitas should be open. I read that UDOT opened the Mirror Lake Highway.

icthys
06-13-2006, 07:02 AM
I was up on Saturday and got some good hiking in. I'm going to post a report as soon as I get the pics on my machine.

Sombeech
06-19-2006, 06:47 PM
BETA DELETED
:roflol:

Sombeech
06-19-2006, 06:55 PM
BETA DELETED

:cry1:

OK. Whenever Scott posts "beta", the next person to post should just hit the http://uutah.com/forum/templates/c3s/images/lang_english/icon_quote.gif button, so we won't go on missing all that info out there. :roll:

moabfool
06-20-2006, 05:15 PM
BETA DELETED

:cry1:

OK. Whenever Scott posts "beta", the next person to post should just hit the http://uutah.com/forum/templates/c3s/images/lang_english/icon_quote.gif button, so we won't go on missing all that info out there. :roll:

I don't like when route descriptions get removed, but they're Scott's posts and he has that perogative I suppose, although this is a public forum. I guess this all hinges on what Scott means when he says "Beta Deleted." Like I said, I don't like having route descriptions removed, but if he's removing outdated information that could get somebody stranded/hurt/killed I think it's a good move. That said, Scott, you should feel no need to explain yourself.