PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report Fish Mouth Cave - Cedar Mesa

Iceaxe
05-30-2006, 09:11 PM
Fishmouth Cave in Cedar Mesa. I'll get a route description up soon but I wanted to share some of my pics.

goofball
05-31-2006, 07:06 PM
damn i miss bluff... :sad:

Iceaxe
06-01-2006, 07:08 AM
I could spend a year there doing nothing but hiking and exploring and be a very happy person. The place is amazing. :cool2:

Iceaxe
06-06-2006, 05:12 PM
Route Description is now avaiable for Fishmouth Cave Ruins.

http://climb-utah.com/CM/fishmouth.htm

:popcorn:

Iceaxe
06-08-2006, 07:35 AM
Damn internet!!!

BLM plans activities as Antiquities Act turns 100
By Joe Baird
The Salt Lake Tribune

The Antiquities Act, created to protect the nation's ancient ruins, artifacts and other cultural and paleoecological resources, turns 100 this year. And the Utah office of the Bureau of Land Management is celebrating the centennial.

State BLM officials plan to commemorate the 1906 act with a daylong series of events at the Edge of the Cedars Museum in Blanding.

"The Antiquities Act is really the foundation we have for cultural resources management," BLM spokeswoman Adrienne Babbitt said Tuesday. "Many think it is simply the mechanism that gives the president the authority to create new national monuments. But what it really does is protect the past on Utah's public lands."

The Antiquities Act was created by Congress following a rash of looting of prehistoric fossils and Native American artifacts from federally owned land. The legislation required permits for archeological and cultural exploration, and imposed penalties on violators.

BLM officials want to drive that point home again during the centennial celebration. The agency has become increasingly concerned, Babbitt says, over the rise of what she calls "accidental vandalism" brought about by increased visitation on BLM lands.

The Internet, where information on archeological sites can be found, also has played a role.

"In the past, BLM was able to manage the problem more easily by simply not disclosing where sensitive sites are located, which we still do," she said. "With the Internet, that is not as effective as it once was. That's why our focus for this has been working with the public to tell them how to visit these sites correctly."

Theodore Roosevelt was the first president to use the Antiquities Act, proclaiming Devils Tower in Wyoming the nation's first national monument in 1906. Roosevelt gave the Grand Canyon monument status in 1908.

The area later became a national park.

The Antiquities Act has at times been controversial. Some southern Utah residents and state and county leaders are still smarting over President Clinton's creation of the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument in 1996. The state has argued in past court filings that Clinton exceeded the scope of his presidential powers in creating the monument.

Monumental additions

The following national monuments in Utah came into being via the Antiquities Act, which is now 100 years old. Several of the monuments went on to become national parks.*

Grand Staircase-Escalante
Cedar Breaks
Dinosaur
Hovenweep
Natural Bridges
Rainbow Bridge
Timpanogos Cave
Bryce Canyon*
Arches*
Capitol Reef*
Zion (portions)*

* Saturday's activities in Blanding to mark the 100th anniversary begin at 7:30 a.m. with a pancake breakfast, and continue throughout the day with displays of Native American artistry, interpretive walks to several ancestral Puebloan sites and an educational symposium from 1 to 5 p.m. at the College of Eastern Utah's San Juan Campus.