PDA

View Full Version : A Little Canyonlands Explorin'

rockgremlin
05-30-2006, 08:31 PM
Buzzed on down to Newspaper Rock on the way to Canyonlands over the weekend. We never made it to the park because we were too busy exploring some side canyons in the vicinity of Newspaper Rock. Trying to debunk the myth that no slots exist in and around the area of Canyonlands. It appears that the predominant rock type in Canyonlands is Wingate Sandstone, which is more resistant to erosion than the Navajo. There are spots where the Navajo Sandstone caps the Wingate, where there may be some good slots, like out on the northwestern end of Hart's Point. All of the canyons coming off that mesa terminate in a very long drop ~ 200 to 300 feet, and doing one would require a car shuttle as you can't loop back on top of Hart's Point on foot.

We shot up a little side canyon that empties into Indian Creek called Shay Canyon. Some locals around here told me of some dino tracks at the mouth of the canyon. I went to check them out.

Iceaxe
05-30-2006, 09:03 PM
I'm pretty sure someone, someday is going to stumble onto some really good canyon stuff in the Moab to Montecello area. Now you are a local just start asking around.

By the way..... nice couple of finds....

:popcorn:

Sombeech
05-30-2006, 10:41 PM
Nice mirror shot!

and....

:hitit:

http://uutah.com/forum/files/lizards.jpg