PDA

View Full Version : Any cool outings this long weekend???

BrokenHorn
05-29-2006, 11:42 AM
My wife was on a cruise threw the weekend, wich is traditionaly our first camping trip of the year. The kids wanted to go camping but the forcast was terrible and without mom and her sister to keep things (kids, clothes etc.) in order it just wasn't going to happen.

Now I purchased some silnylon a few weeks ago and my mom is making me a tar with it. I decided I would try an old blue tarp out to see how it worked. I was surprised at the amount of room I had under this thing. The wind blew a little but not bad. The next day (Sat) it rained a lot and I left it up. I went out and crawled under it for a few minutes and the ground was dry and rain was not comming in.

My tarp will be 12 inches wider than this one all for one pound. Awesome! I can't wait for the backpack season in the high country.

The kids and I slept out in it. We had hotdogs for dinner and smores afterwords.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v169/BrokenHorn/Family/P1040880.jpg

hike2kolob
06-01-2006, 12:24 PM
You make me want to venture into the tarp route. I am trying to decide on a solo tent. What do you plan to do for bug protection?

Iceaxe
06-01-2006, 12:58 PM
My wife was on a cruise threw the weekend, wich is traditionaly our first camping trip of the year. The kids wanted to go camping but the forcast was terrible and without mom and her sister to keep things (kids, clothes etc.) in order it just wasn't going to happen.

Men are so helpless :lol8:

Good thing I'm a dog :roflol:

BrokenHorn
06-02-2006, 09:17 PM
As far as bugs getting in my bag or crawling on me when sleeping, My bivy will take care of that.

http://mirror.greatoutdoors.com/images/tents/bivouacs/bivouacs/outdoorresearchdeluxebivysackbivouac.jpg

As far as the skeeters go I was thinking of either putting some netting around the edges or the Thermacell. I have heard that they work really well. Just don't know about the battery life???