PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report Signal Peak

Mtnman1830
05-26-2006, 06:06 AM
Signal Peak, Washington County, elevation 10,365'

We finally did it. We have been wanting to get started on the HighPointing thing since snow was still flying.

rdavis1239, shphilby, and myself attended a UTAG event in Farmington (UTAG = Utah Assosiation of Geocachers) and hit a few geocaches on the way down south.

We arrived at Oak Creek campground at 11:00pm, set up camp and after dinner, went to bed. The ground was too hard for my cheap plastic tent stakes, so after 2 hours, the wind knocked it over. Being exhausted from sitting all day, we didn't bother with it until it was totally collapsed did I get out and fix it.

We got up at 6 the next morning, broke camp, and was at the trailhead by 6:30. We met up with another hiker, and he told us that we passed the fork we were supposed to take, and he showed us the trail, and continued up with us.

This trail is Hellacious (is that a word?) it is uphill all the way! Steep switchbacks take you up to the ridge. But the views are spectacular! I took out my camera and when I turned it on, BATTERIES EXHAUSTED. Sonnovabeetch! Good thing shphil and davis had their camera (Pics to come)

When we crested the ridge, we ran into snow, that was up past our knees in places. After trudging through the snow and we reached the meadows, they were a muddy mess.

We were on the trail 06:38-16:08 hitting some geocaches while we were up there, and it was a great hike! Greatly suggested to do, but it is a very long 4 mile hike to the top.

James_B_Wads2000
05-26-2006, 08:03 AM
Thanks for the TR Mtnman1830, I have added it to the Utah High Pointing Index (http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=14340). That

LJ
05-26-2006, 08:07 AM
This trail is Hellacious (is that a word?) it is uphill all the way! Steep switchbacks take you up to the ridge.

Yes it is a word - and I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who thinks that. The hike from the "front" has kicked my butt every time I've done it. But yes the views are awesome and totally worth it!

LJ

rdavis1239
05-26-2006, 08:25 PM
So the hike with mtnman and sphily was lots of fun, but I did kick my butt! It was all I could do to go to work the next day! When we came down off the mountain was the worst part for me, and of course the 2+ feet of snow on the back of the ridge. But it was way worth it cant wait tell KINGS PEAK!

Mtnman1830
05-27-2006, 03:23 PM
Are you still planning on hitting all 26 this year?

Well it would be nice, and we are gonna give it a try, but it doesn't look like it. We will get as many as we can. Maybe we will get a few next month when we go to Price.