PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report PHOTOS: North Slope Navajo Mtn. and Rainbow Bridge

stefan
05-24-2006, 07:15 PM
So two weeks ago a buddy of mine and I hiked the Rainbow Bridge trail along the north slope of Navajo Mtn., explored Cha and Nasja side canyons and all the way down to RB, something we'd talked about doing for a number of years. He managed to twist his ankle shortly before RB and so we didn't get to explore Oak Canyon, but had a wonderful trip nonetheless.

I thought I'd just post some photos I took on the trip. Some friends of mine just gave me a digital camera(my first) and it's been 5 years since i've really taken photos. I have to admit, I have really enjoyed experiencing canyons without looking through a lens, but....

stefan
05-24-2006, 07:16 PM
Oops, forgot one of my favorites....

shaggy125
05-24-2006, 08:11 PM
Awesome pics Stefan, I think that area is one of the most underrated backpacking areas in Utah. The tallest sandstone cliffs I've seen outside of Zion were there. Awesome stuff. I would imagine that hike to Rainbow Bridge would be a little anti-climatic as the scenery on the way, in my opinion, is better. Then again the off trail stuff we did was by far the highlight of our trip. Can't wait to get back one of these days.

Eric.

stefan
05-24-2006, 08:33 PM
Awesome pics Stefan, ..... I would imagine that hike to Rainbow Bridge would be a little anti-climatic as the scenery on the way, in my opinion, is better.

hey eric,

Thanks! actually, i thought the descent into and down bridge canyon was pretty nice too. Lower bridge canyon was really nice and very scenic, especially the section just above the bridge with a few nice pools. The photo captioned Masterpiece was taken from a 1200 foot slightly overhanging wall in the canyon. And to be honest with you, i was quite stunned by the massive bridge! I was almost thinking how anticlimactic it could be coming by boat. There was something very preparing about descending into bridge canyon, having the canyon contiue to deepen and twist, and then to turn a corner and see the bridge,massive, larger than life....it was actually quite impressive.

I enjoyed the mix of walking along through the cracked and carved slab of navajo, uplifted by navajo mountain as well as settling into the confines of the lower canyons themselves.

I did manage to explore the moki step route out of nasja (but didn't explore far). Looking forward to someday doing those canyons too.

Sombeech
05-24-2006, 11:14 PM
Great job on the pics. Those are awesome. Thanks. :nod:

Mtnbiker
05-25-2006, 06:39 AM
Wow, beautiful pictures!

I really like that waterfall picture with the orange and bright green contrasting together. :2thumbs:

Scott P
05-25-2006, 08:00 AM
Awesome pics. I still haven't been there. What is the canyon with the running water? Cha or Nasja?

stefan
05-25-2006, 09:24 AM
Awesome pics. I still haven't been there. What is the canyon with the running water? Cha or Nasja?

Thanks! Cha is the one with the running water, I tried to put some captions on the photos. Nasja had running water in many parts, but as you can see in this part of the Nasja narrows is dry. Oak, bridge, and bald rock also had running water.

Gotta love navajo mtn for keeping 'em running. :hail2thechief:

Scott Card
05-25-2006, 09:52 AM
These wonderful photos reminded me that appreciating the desert and people are much the same. The photos of the detail of the desert, the streaked wall, the multi-textured wall and the detail of the pools sparked this thought. This crowd will understand the concept. Permit me to wax a bit philosophical. Don't we all know folks who could care less about the desert? Or those whose idea of getting to know the desert is driving I-15 or I-70 to the nearest Motel with a pool. They say they know the desert, they say they think it is "kinda" pretty or interesting. You never really appreciate or know the desert until you spend time with it, look for the beauty in it, experience the desert first hand, even walk a few hundred miles with open eyes and an open mind. Once you know the desert, whether you particularly like it or not, you must at least respect it for what it is. If you can see the beauty in the details, like in the little oasis here and there, the pool of emerald green water juxtaapositioned against the orange rock , the water painted sandstone or the little hope of life as seen in the flower defying gravity growing from a crack in an overhang. Even the otherwise plain vista of sage brush or rock bumps in the distance is uniquely stunning if viewed at the right time of day in the right light. Finally I often wonder what forces created the delicate slice in the rock or the deadly mayonnaise jar pot holes or the black water that turns to gold when a ray of sunlight strikes it. A bit like getting to know a stranger or appreciating a loved one. Just a few quick thoughts from one sitting at a desk wishing I were out. Thanks for the photos and the moment of escape.

stefan
05-27-2006, 11:05 AM
Hi Scott

Yeah, i think i know what you mean. people are like the desert and the way people view the desert sometimes is the way they view people. i think some like the easy-to-get-to-know, immediate gratification of the "beautiful places" just like super out-going beautiful people. Some like the hard-to-get, subtle beauty. Some focus mostly on the interesting, unique, and colorful. One guy i met in the lower paria river narrows referred to the 3mile-wide deeper section of the lower paria river, just up from lee's ferry as "Ugly Desert Hiking." So instead he hikes the canyon uphill, so that the navajo narrows will be the last to enjoy. This is someone who clearly appreciates the desert, but seems to focus on what pleases him the most.

I guess i like it all at, each has its time and place, depending on my mood . But i agree wholeheartedly, everything in the desert can be fantastically beautiful, when viewed at the right time, through the right eyes, and with the right mind. And as you say, all must respect the desert for what it is, whether one likes it or not. I guess i have come to realize that the southwest desert is a very special place, as few deserts pack in so much diversity, color and wonder in such a small area. I have heard that there are amazing places in israel, egypt and the middle east and that much of it is very spread out. i look forward to seeing it someday.

Scott you seem like the kinda guy that enjoys it all too, goes out, maybe with expectations in mind, but finds tremendous bliss in the unexpected moments that seem to surprise many of us out there.

brettyb
07-17-2006, 07:46 PM
Really great to see those photos. It's my dream to do that trip someday and see Rainbow Bridge w/o geting on that awful reservoir.

How are the roads getting to the trailhead? I've read they can be pretty rough, and that gas siphoning and vehicle breakins are a common problem at the trailhead.

stefan
07-17-2006, 09:34 PM
How are the roads getting to the trailhead? I've read they can be pretty rough, and that gas siphoning and vehicle breakins are a common problem at the trailhead.

okay, so as far as the roads go, they seemed decent to me. for the most part they were good. there are rough spots that you need to drive slowly over and of course maneuver. we were in a subaru. the very last leg to the actual trail head goes up to a pass then drops down to a wash, then back out right to the trail head. the road from the pass down to the wash was really rough in spots (deep ruts) and committing. i think we could have made it if we were careful, but, it was easy enough to leave the car at the pass, there is a nice pull out/camp spot there. from this pass to the trailhead is a very short distance and hardly adds to the hiking anyway.

as far as the breakins go, i really don't know too much about them. mike kelsey told me that in the past there has been a problem with fuel theft, but if the door accessing your gas cap locks, he thought it probably wasn't too much of a problem. i suppose a crowbar could help, but we fortunately didn't have any problems. perhaps times have changed? or have you heard of more recent problems too?