PDA

View Full Version : Capitol Reef pics 6/7

Shan
05-24-2006, 02:22 PM
My husband's brother and sister are coming for a visit very soon. The sister didn't want to go to the Grand Canyon (who the heck doesn't want too see the GC???) so we are doing Bryce and Capitol Reef. Probably one night at each, 3 days total with the driving.

Being that we don't have many days to explore, what are the "must see" trails at these parks? Probably front country due to time.

http://www.nps.gov/brca/hiking.html

http://www.nps.gov/care/trailmap.htm

shaggy125
05-24-2006, 07:11 PM
Bryce - If you only have time for a really short hike (like 1 hour) then the Navajo Loop is best but really crowded.

If you have a little more time then my favorite hike is down one end of the Navajo loop to the peek-a-boo loop to the queens garden loop and then back up the other end of the Navajo Loop. In my opinion once you've done that hike there isn't much else worth seeing in the park. Then again I havn't seen everything in the park, but it just doesn't bring me back over and over like Zion does.

The fairyland loop is nice too if you have a shuttle car, and a good choice if you don't want to feel like the trail is as crowded as Walmart on Christmas Eve.

In Capitol Reef you'll probably want to get suggestions from others, I've done Grand Wash and it's cool. If you drive the scenic drive make sure you drive to the end of the dirt road and the hike from there is nice too. Shane has some good hikes on his site.

http://climb-utah.com/Capitol/index.htm

Eric.

Sombeech
05-24-2006, 11:04 PM
Bryce - If you only have time for a really short hike (like 1 hour) then the Navajo Loop is best but really crowded

Agreed. This is found at Sunset Point, and looks pretty cool. You'll go down into all of the Hoodoos, and into the more well known "Wall Street".

Unfortunately, my wife was pregnant, so we didn't explore much of this one.

Here's the link to my Bryce Canyon (http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2482) post, and a picture of the Navajo Loop.

Here is the left side of the loop

http://uutah.com/forum/files/bryce__12___small_.jpg

Then, the same trail comes around through that little "slot?" on the left of the pic. This is where Wall Street is, I believe, and there are a bunch of switchbacks right above it. Don't worry, that scary guy won't be there when you go.

http://uutah.com/forum/files/bryce__18___small_.jpg

Shan
05-25-2006, 11:09 AM
Thanks! I'll check out that link too.

We'll probably have 24 hours in Bryce (drive 5 hours there, hike, camp over, hike then drive to Capitol Reef the next day where we'll hike camp, then leave the 3rd day after more hiking if they want).

They are from NJ and don't exercise at all so I wonder how much we'll actually be doing!

Sombeech
05-25-2006, 11:20 AM
We'll probably have 24 hours in Bryce (drive 5 hours there, hike, camp over, hike then drive to Capitol Reef the next day where we'll hike camp, then leave the 3rd day after more hiking if they want).

We were in Bryce for about 4 hours, and felt like we really saw everything, excluding the hiking. We pulled over at every "overlook", and drove through the entire park.

If we hiked a majority of the trails, I think we would have been there maybe 2 more hours. It's a great place, and I'm glad I went. I think there's just a little less to see by comparison to other parks. Not to discredit it at all though, we just got through it kind of quick.

Shan
05-25-2006, 12:09 PM

We were in Bryce for about 4 hours, and felt like we really saw everything, excluding the hiking. We pulled over at every "overlook", and drove through the entire park.

If we hiked a majority of the trails, I think we would have been there maybe 2 more hours. It's a great place, and I'm glad I went. I think there's just a little less to see by comparison to other parks. Not to discredit it at all though, we just got through it kind of quick.

Hmmm, I wonder if we should just keep on trekking down to Zion, then hit Captiol on the way home? I just am already getting dizzy thinking how much gas will cost. I have been to Zion, it will probably be way more crowded too and we'll probably arrive too late to get camp spot.

stefan
05-25-2006, 12:58 PM
Hi shan,

what's up?

So I have to put in a good word for bryce right now! One thing's for certain, bryce is candy to the eye that i think most people will be very satisfied with. I never get sick of the place, even though what i typically like to hike is far removed from the bryce experience. I do believe that more than 2 hours will be required to really hike the trails in the bryce amphitheatre. Walking along the rim is not strenuous at all, but a good walk which gives you many different vantage points. Make sure you enjoy inspiration point. But another aspect to the issue is that the light changes in bryce, so different times of day can be quite nice. the views from the yovimpa/rainbow points are quite nice as you look south from the plateau across to navajo mountain and the surrounding land.

gas is expensive for sure. i guess it all comes down to what your peeps are interesting in doing, how much time they want to be spending in the car etc. the drive from zion, through bryce to capitol reef is spectacular. i prefer it in the direction from capitol reef to zion, personally. But it can be a great drive. I think driving through capitol reef in the afternoon is the best time, as the passing sun shines on the wingate cliffs. There are some fantastic vantage points from boulder mountain (highway 12) looking over the escalante, capitol reef and fiftymile mountain.

the drive from bryce to zion is great too. Time is always an issue, and some people don't like being contained in a car for too long. the drive from capitol reef to bryce can be winding and long at times, but it's the most scenic route in the state.

zion is always a pleaser. don't know if any of this helps. i am always thinking of the drive and the hiking. tons of great mellow hikes in zion. In the past i have tended to take people, who haven't spend any/much time in southern utah, to many different parks and give them a flavor of the different areas, from the dry and subtle to the massive and green. It seems to work well. Everyone ALWAYS loves bryce and zion, without fail. And everyone thinks capitol reef is stunning along the highway.

i'm sure they'll love it, whatever you do. But i think zion and bryce are a must. :2thumbs:

Shan
05-25-2006, 01:30 PM
I guess I could always lay out the options for them when they get here and inform them how far away each one is. I think they will be blown away nevertheless, they've lived in NJ their entire lives!

gas is expensive for sure. i guess it all comes down to what your peeps are interesting in doing

...and if the peeps are going to chip in $$! SIL already told me she's not cooking, she's not paddling the canoe, she's not pitching her own tent... Oh boy.

shaggy125
05-25-2006, 03:00 PM
I'd say if they have never been to either Bryce or Zion and you only have one day to spend, go to Bryce. Bryce is just as spectacular as anywhere in the state/country, it just doesn't bring me back over and over like Zion and other areas. There are so many canyons to explore, overlooks to hike to, grotto's to hang out in etc... in other places, where for me, Bryce kind of seems the same no matter where in the park I go. However don't think it's inferior to other parks, if you or they have never been it's definitely a must see and you will not be disappointed, just don't plan on spending a week only inside the park. Stefan is right, the drive between Bryce and Capitol Reef is probably the most beautiful drive in the state. I'd suggest taking a pit stop and hiking to Calf Creek Falls on the way (take your swimming suit if you want to cool off at the falls) if you have time. Most beautiful waterfall in Utah in my opinion.

Eric.

shaggy125
05-25-2006, 03:06 PM
Oh, forgot to mention the Navajo Loop Trial has been closed indefinitely due to a rock slide. Maybe don't plan on hiking this trail when you go down there.

http://www.sltrib.com/utah/ci_3862264

Eric.

Shan
05-25-2006, 03:15 PM
This looks marvelous!

http://www.utah.com/art/photos/calf_creek_falls.jpg

...can be very strenuous walking, particularly in warm weather...

How strenous is this? I don't want to kill my husband's siblings.

James_B_Wads2000
05-25-2006, 04:43 PM
This looks marvelous!

...can be very strenuous walking, particularly in warm weather...

How strenuous is this? I don't want to kill my husband's siblings.

You haven

Shan
05-26-2006, 08:46 AM
Cool! Thanks so much, that sound totally doable for them. Heck there's children pictured on that link.

BTW, I found out the who camp/toilet/shower issue with SIL. "Aunt Flo" will be in town. For a Jersey girl who doesn't camp, I can see how that was an issue.

James_B_Wads2000
05-26-2006, 09:43 AM
Cool! Thanks so much, that sound totally doable for them. Heck there's children pictured on that link.

BTW, I found out the who camp/toilet/shower issue with SIL. "Aunt Flo" will be in town. For a Jersey girl who doesn't camp, I can see how that was an issue.

That is way more infromation than I needed. :eek2:

Shan
05-26-2006, 10:31 AM
Well, you were the one that ranted why bother calling it camping if there were toilets/showers involved! Perhaps you understand now why I was asking for such suggestions. :ne_nau: At least I understand now!

James_B_Wads2000
05-26-2006, 11:28 AM
Well, you were the one that ranted why bother calling it camping if there were toilets/showers involved! Perhaps you understand now why I was asking for such suggestions. :ne_nau: At least I understand now!

I am just kidding around, I know where you are coming from. :roll: I am such a hypocrite anyways. I am going to be

shaggy125
05-27-2006, 09:21 AM
Now that the topic has been hijacked I'll put in my two cents. I'm all about the roughing it thing, I've been on many backpacking trips deep into the wilderness with no facilities for miles, and I love it, BUT I will admit deep down I also love those canyoneering trips to Zion where we sneak down to the RV park and get a hot shower, then chill at Oscars over a giant grilled burger (has anyone tried their new sweet potato fries? Different, but better than the bag of chips they used to give you) before heading back to our "primitive" camp for the night.

Eric.

TreeHugger
05-27-2006, 11:32 AM
If I had one day to spend and had to choose between Bryce and Zion, I'd choose Zion. I feel that Zion offers a lot more to do in a day - with many easy, short and spectacular hikes that are quite different from each other. Honestly, I think you can pull of at Sunset Point and get a total picture of Bryce without even going in - add the Navaho loop and you're done. At Zion, you can drive the road (beautiful) and stop at the pull outs, hike the one mile out Overlook trail, that is really a groovy fun trail, do the Emerald Pools, and the River walk, go to the lodge for ice cream and into town where there is a lot of fun galleries and shops to look around in and good restaurants. We've taken both our sets of parents there for short weekends and it was perfect - no real long or strenuous hikes, but plenty of gorgeous canyon to experience. I just think it's an overall better experience with more to do then Bryce... PLUS, you can drive through Bryce on the way home - that's what we did.

Shan
06-12-2006, 11:58 AM
Well, if anyone is interested - we didn't make it to Bryce. Combined with black rain clouds hovering over the park and my sister in law's poor attitude (she didn't like hiking and camping and decided halfway through the trip), we turned around after driving 2 hours south from Capitol Reef then 6 hours back up to Logan in the same day. Sheesh.

Not sure where to even post this. The only "hiking" we did was Grand Wash, in and out about 1 mile. It was pretty hot when we arrived, so we swam. I hiked the Fremont Trail after dinner and left everyone at camp.

I'm looking at Shane's site (http://climb-utah.com/Capitol/index.htm) and seeing little kids in the "family fun" and my 29 y.o. sister in law could hack miles Grand Wash!

We did the scenic drive too. I wish we had more time and more willing participants. It was beautiful.

stefan
06-12-2006, 12:03 PM
great photos!!!! :2thumbs:

thanks for sharing, shan. looks like you had some great lighting. sorry it didn't turn out the way you wanted.

R
06-13-2006, 06:51 AM
In the end, I find my most satisfying hiking trips are solo. None of my friends seem to enjoy the rigorous hiking from dawn to dusk like I do. And much to both our chagrins, my wife isn't is as good a shape as she'd like to be for hiking. Last week my son and I hiked in and around the Monticello area. He's 13, so he complained a lot, especially about the heat. But there may be hope for him yet. Galleries from that trip should be ready in a week or two; they include Mule Canyon, Butler Canyon, Corona Arch, Canyonlands, Arches, the road and more. I'll post when they are ready.

-Richard