PDA

View Full Version : Hard canyons?

JonHaradon
05-21-2006, 06:40 PM
What do people think are the hardest canyons in Utah?

rockgremlin
05-21-2006, 07:14 PM
Hardest canyons I've heard of but never done:

1. CATNIP (Escalante area)
2. SANDTHRAX (North Wash)
3. Heaps (Zion National Park)
4. Choprock (Escalante area)

Hardest canyons I've done:

1. Imlay (Zion National Park)
2. Pandora's Box (Capitol Reef)
3. The Squeeze (San Rafael Swell)

Ok, so I'm a pussy..... :haha:

shaggy125
05-21-2006, 08:08 PM
Hardest canyons I've heard of but never done:

4. Choprock (Escalante area)

Choprock really isn't too hard when conditions are right (like when I did it) but it CAN be really hard when there are giant logjams like a few years ago (I didn't canyoneer back then, but I heard from a friend, who's brother's cousin's sister was like really hardcore back then and climbed over like 50 million logjams and almost died!) or when the water levels are really high, like when the two BYU students tragically died in there last year.

I haven't done any of the really hardcore canyons so I don't know what's hardest in Utah. I've heard stories of 8 hours of high stemming and off width climbing like in Sandthrax so there is some hardcore stuff out there. I've done Heaps and Imlay, but both were filled to the brim with water which dumbed them down quite a bit (or so I'm told).

Eric.

Scott P
05-22-2006, 09:00 AM
BETA DELETED

shaggy125
05-22-2006, 04:59 PM
I would bet that Bishop is way up the list, but I don't personally know of anyone whom has made it through the tight narrows yet (though other's have for sure), though I believe Ram is either down there now, or has just tried.

I found some photos of Ram and crew yesterday actually. I didn't know if Wade would mention that he posted them as he has posted here once before. From the photo's it looks like they bypassed the upper narrows? They also did "Frosted Flakes," another hard canyon down in Escalante near what Nat was calling CATNIP, which he claims is the hardest canyon he has ever done. He has done some hard ones too (Egypt 4, Sandthrax, Psycho Damage, and others). Any comments Wade or Nat?

http://canyonquest.com/escalante

FOX
05-22-2006, 05:06 PM
Frosted Flakes looks lile a blast! :five:

nat
05-22-2006, 05:21 PM
I would bet that Bishop is way up the list, but I don't personally know of anyone whom has made it through the tight narrows yet (though other's have for sure), though I believe Ram is either down there now, or has just tried.

I found some photos of Ram and crew yesterday actually. I didn't know if Wade would mention that he posted them as he has posted here once before. From the photo's it looks like they bypassed the upper narrows? They also did "Frosted Flakes," another hard canyon down in Escalante near what Nat was calling CATNIP, which he claims is the hardest canyon he has ever done. He has done some hard ones too (Egypt 4, Sandthrax, Psycho Damage, and others). Any comments Wade or Nat?

http://canyonquest.com/escalante

Yeah, Bishop looks pretty hard. We went into it (see pictures on Wades canyonquest site) and went through about 40% of the upper slot. This involved a couple of hours of high stemming; moderately hard, and up to 40+ ft off the deck. We then exited, as we were running out of time (we had to meet a boat at the lake at the bottom of Bishop). The part that we skipped was around 1/4-1/3 of a mile. Steve B checked out the top of the next part, and it looked pretty burly. Long difficult downclimb followed by difficult upclimb, with headlamps required. Also, before the end of the slot, it looked like it pinched off to a very tall offwidth followed by who knows what (exposed downclimb? rappel off of a woodie?). We rapped back in at the end of the slot, and a few minues down canyon we rapped in to the lower wider section and walked down to the boat. It appears to be a real serious canyon.

Scott P
05-25-2006, 07:41 AM
Yeah, Bishop looks pretty hard. We went into it (see pictures on Wades canyonquest site) and went through about 40% of the upper slot. This involved a couple of hours of high stemming; moderately hard, and up to 40+ ft off the deck. We then exited, as we were running out of time (we had to meet a boat at the lake at the bottom of Bishop). The part that we skipped was around 1/4-1/3 of a mile. Steve B checked out the top of the next part, and it looked pretty burly. Long difficult downclimb followed by difficult upclimb, with headlamps required. Also, before the end of the slot, it looked like it pinched off to a very tall offwidth followed by who knows what (exposed downclimb? rappel off of a woodie?). We rapped back in at the end of the slot, and a few minues down canyon we rapped in to the lower wider section and walked down to the boat. It appears to be a real serious canyon.

Dang, looks like I really missed out. I should have gone since the canyon has been on my list for years.

bwheck
05-26-2006, 02:08 PM
Completely depends on the current conditions.

Sombeech
06-19-2006, 06:52 PM
BETA DELETED

:cry1:

rockgremlin
06-19-2006, 07:11 PM
BETA DELETED

:ne_nau: Was it something I said? :ne_nau:

Sombeech
06-19-2006, 08:25 PM
PS, you won't lose me. I'll still post here. You are only losing the beta. That I will no longer post.

:roll: