PDA

View Full Version : New Gear Love

TreeHugger
05-18-2006, 06:32 AM
I just got a new backpack!! wha-hooo!! It was time, my old NorthFace served me well for about a dozen years, but I wanted some updated features like side or front openings to get to the stuff on the bottom more easily, and a bladder compartment. This pack is unbelievably comfortable on my crooked back and is pretty too! (haha!)

What new goodies are you all gettin' this season??

http://www.marmot.com/products/_large/H4101.jpg

Shell material: LTD Nylon 420d HD Small Rip
Pack Fit Fit Diagram
Arc Flex Design Design Features
Weight: Small: 6lb 9 ozs / 2.9 kg
Medium: 6lb 13 ozs / 3 kg

Volume (metric): Small: 83
Medium: 86

Also available in size XS
Arc Flex frame system
Interchangeable S-curve Arc shoulderpads
Interchangeable Women's waist belt
Removable lid converts to lumbar pack
Sleeping bag compartment
Twin vertical column pockets
Retractable bottom
Differential double bottom

derstuka
05-18-2006, 07:19 AM
I just got a new backpack!!

Nice pack. Is it from REI? I have an addiction to that place, well, mostly the REI Outlet. There are some damn good deals on there...then free shipping to an REI store! :2thumbs:

BTW, we were talking about riding shoes the other day, and I just picked up a pair of these.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=22229&subcategory_ID=2120

All leather, with an adjustable strap (why I bought them) I like them so far, but, I haven't de-flowered them just yet...this weekend maybe. :cool2:

accadacca
05-18-2006, 07:54 AM
Nice pack and yeah the new fetures have been tempting me. My next one will definitely have a bladder pocket. Pretty color.

cachehiker
05-18-2006, 09:23 AM
Nice pack. I wish my old heavy North Face were seeing enough use that I could justify replacing it. I've always used an older version of the Platypus Hoser in its side water bottle pockets in place of an actual bladder pocket.

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=28002&parent_category_rn=4501138

As far as new gear goes, it depends on where I end up going. I always buy something for every big trip. If I can successfully organize or wheedle myself into an invitation on a City of Rocks climbing trip, a climbing seat, helmet, and shoes. If the Lava Hot Springs Bike Tour goes through as scheduled, a handlebar bag and a small pair of panniers. A acquaintance and I have a backpacking trip planned in the Tetons for late July. Who knows what I'll pick out for that. Maybe a slinglight chair?

http://www.slinglight.com/information.htm

I will probably be buying one of these next month, an REI Piton daypack. 600 ci is just about perfect as a bike commuting pack and a pretty good size for the after work hike that requires no food, no jacket, and only 1 liter of water and/or a quart of beer.

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=47990596&parent_category_rn=40003645

TreeHugger
05-18-2006, 09:44 AM
Nice pack. I wish my old heavy North Face were seeing enough use that I could justify replacing it. I've always used an older version of the Platypus Hoser in its side water bottle pockets in place of an actual bladder pocket.

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=28002&parent_category_rn=4501138

As far as new gear goes, it depends on where I end up going. I always buy something for every big trip. If I can successfully organize or wheedle myself into an invitation on a City of Rocks climbing trip, a climbing seat, helmet, and shoes. If the Lava Hot Springs Bike Tour goes through as scheduled, a handlebar bag and a small pair of panniers. A acquaintance and I have a backpacking trip planned in the Tetons for late July. Who knows what I'll pick out for that. Maybe a slinglight chair?

http://www.slinglight.com/information.htm

My old backpack's side pockets were too small to carry even that platypus. I used to latch my camelback onto the side. A bit awkward and off balance.

I really really like that slinglight chair! That might turn into one of those "necessary" luxuries!

TreeHugger
05-18-2006, 09:48 AM
I just got a new backpack!!

Nice pack. Is it from REI? I have an addiction to that place, well, mostly the REI Outlet. There are some damn good deals on there...then free shipping to an REI store! :2thumbs:

BTW, we were talking about riding shoes the other day, and I just picked up a pair of these.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=22229&subcategory_ID=2120

All leather, with an adjustable strap (why I bought them) I like them so far, but, I haven't de-flowered them just yet...this weekend maybe. :cool2:

Thanks. :-)
I got it at Kirkhams. They are having a sale so I got $60 off. I think they have a better selections of backpacks (and shoes) then REI. Dont get me wrong! I LOVE REI! :-)

Those are nice riding shoes - I've heard really good things about them. Enjoy!

Mtnbiker
05-20-2006, 01:02 PM
Hey K, did you have someone fit the pack for your size at the store? Just curious. I read a backpacking book and they swear up and down that the only way to have a properly fitting overnight pack is to have it professionally fitted at the store.

What do you think? I need to get Tam a proper 2-3 day pack and I've been tempted several times to get one at REI b/c it's on sale, but I haven't had her try any on yet.

TreeHugger
05-22-2006, 09:01 AM
Hey Ian,

yeah, there was a guy there that measured me and adjusted the pack to make sure it fit. Then we tried both small and medium because I was between both, and I tried on a couple others for comparison. He was very very helpful.

Today is the last day of the sale. I got $60 off my pack. Also, I have a 20% off coupon, if it didnt get thrown out, you can have for items not on sale, so you should be able to use it after this sale is gone.

Honestly, I love REI because of their dividends and they have a lot of selection of stuff and some knowledgable sales people but I've found that Kirkhams service/knowledge is much better (IMO) and on some things, like backpacks and shoes, they have a better selection. And, it's a family owned business.

cachehiker
05-23-2006, 02:47 PM
I really really like that slinglight chair! That might turn into one of those "necessary" luxuries!

I'm kind of hoping I have an excuse to buy one myself. Last year I only managed two bag nights in the backcountry though. If I find someone else who's up for another Wellsville Ridge overnighter, a trip through the San Rafael Gorge, or merely the ridiculously easy backside of Tony Grove to witness the fall colors, I'll probably have one.

stefan
05-28-2006, 01:36 PM
Honestly, I love REI because of their dividends and they have a lot of selection of stuff and some knowledgable sales people but I've found that Kirkhams service/knowledge is much better (IMO) and on some things, like backpacks and shoes, they have a better selection. And, it's a family owned business.

So i think the problems you have with REI are (1) because they shift the employees around from station to station, just as they are finally becoming familiar with all of the gear. if they stick around long enough, they become really wise about all the gear in the store, otherwise....

(2) REI only carries mainstream, widely distributed gear. it was many years before the even started to carry packs by osprey and others. kirkhams generally buys good stuff, but only has so much at that, in a few ways they definitely complement each other, in others they overlap.

the major bonuses of REI are that they generally have a lot of gear, they give dividends (and 1% of everything from REI credit card) and the BIGGEST BONUS OF ALL is their NO-WORRIES return policy. essentially, they will take just about anything back, for whatever reason. they realized a while back that they could attract more people and have people buy more things at their store, if they applied this policy. Since then, they've made and increased amount of money and the customer is happy.

though some people think REI's sold out, and it's not living up to the virtues of the coop it once was....

it's a very nice pack btw. i love marmot's gear. just wish they didn't get bought out. i hope their quality remains top notch, as it always has been.
let us know how you like it after you use it this summer!!

:2thumbs:

TreeHugger
05-29-2006, 06:34 PM
Oh, dont get me wrong, I LOVE REI and have spent thousands of dollars there, literally. And there are a few long term employees that are very knowledgable - like the guy who sold me skate skis. I really love what they stand for and their stewardship of the outdoors through grants and other things for the community. Its the two things: backpacks and shoes - Kirkhams does a better job, I think.

stefan
05-29-2006, 07:12 PM
Its the two things: backpacks and shoes - Kirkhams does a better job, I think.

you're totally right, i got my big pack at kirkhams too!!

when i got my latest big pack there (1997), my friend worked there and asked me if i knew what other stores were carrying the pack for. we called around for a bit, and by matching one sale on the pack, and another store's sale of the small attachable day hiking pack (osprey), he managed to shave off $70. I am not sure if this policy applies to everything in the store, but surely worth a try. it's been awhile, but i would imagine the policy still exists.