PDA

View Full Version : Icebox Camping

shaggy125
05-17-2006, 09:42 PM
Anyone know of a place to camp near the start of the icebox canyon trailhead (Kolob Canyons section of Zion)? Any help would be much apreciated (anywhere within 10 miles or so would be considered close).

Eric.

Ryebrye
05-18-2006, 09:32 PM
Last time we went to do Icebox - we had the same problem. :ne_nau: We found a place to camp off the side of the road after the last Cedar City exit. It wasn't pretty - and it certainly wasn't public property - but we left no trace and got an early start.

Of course - our early start didn't end up mattering much... by the time the sun came up and we could finally see where we were - we realized we took a wrong turn a few hours back. At that point it was a lost cause, and we went to the backcountry desk and swapped our permit for a Pine Creek one so the trip wouldn't be a total loss...

To find the place that we camped at - which is not the best by any means... If you are heading south on the highway - look to the left hand side of the road and you will see lots of flat ground with shrubs and stuff...

We first tried going up some windy road that went up the side of a hill to get away from the road a ways - but the road was washed out and we ended up having to back down the entire one-lane winding road with a sheer drop off... I think there are some old run down trucks by the area we were camping in... (we camped a bit farther back from them among some shrubs and such)

As an interesting side note... while we were camping there we found a plywood board under a tree. Lifting up the corner of the board - we discovered a skeleton. :eek2: The only bones we saw were leg bones - but as we looked a little harder we found the skull of what was very obviously dog... but that was a scary few seconds until we figured out what it was.

Let me know how Icebox is - what conditions are and how you like the exit :P If you can find a way to stash some 4-wheelers right at the exit of the canyon... or arrange for a helicopter shuttle... let me know and I'll carry your rope for you :2thumbs:

shaggy125
05-19-2006, 10:35 AM
Thanks for the suggestion Ryebrye, unfortunantly plans kind of went to pot and our two day trip was downgraded to one. Looking at Misery now (won't get down in time to get permits until morning so this way we can start early without poaching). Would we need wetsuits with 80 - 90 degree temps? I'll probably bring one since I'm such a wussy boy, but I hear the water is warm? true? Thanks for your help.

Eric.

Iceaxe
05-19-2006, 11:25 AM
I won't carry a wetsuit through Misery this weekend. In fact, I don't think I have ever used a wetsuit in Misery.

With your early start you should hit the grotto when the lighting is at its best :2thumbs:

Unfortunately that means your hike out will be in the hottest part of the day :cry1:

I really like Fat Man's Misery and consider it an under rated canyon.

:popcorn: