PDA

View Full Version : First Flat in Five Years

Sombeech
05-17-2006, 08:23 AM
It's no big feat, I know. But I was riding home from work on 1900 W in Roy. I got up the big hill at Hinkley Dr and I heard something stick in my tire, and then flip out when it went through the brakes.

I had the wife come pick me up, I didn't have time to replace it because I had a softball game to go to.

I've had those thick tubes, and love 'em. The extra weight is fine. I'm just glad it didn't happen while going down the hill at 32 mph.

I'm still on my original chain from 5-1/2 years ago. They say you should change it every year, but I want to see how long it will last.

shagster
05-17-2006, 08:46 AM
You had better be getting that fixed before the ride tommorrow. I just put some kind of kevlar tube guards in my tires, they are supposed to prevent ALL flats. They don't add much weight so that shouldn't be a problem. I will let you know how well they do their job.

Sombeech
05-17-2006, 09:02 AM
You had better be getting that fixed before the ride tommorrow.

I'll Git er Dun tonight.

accadacca
05-17-2006, 09:53 AM
You need some new tires on that hog. Milking them for 5 1/2 years aint cool. Not to mention the chain. :lol8:

You can get a good set here for cheap. http://www.jensonusa.com/

Sombeech
05-17-2006, 10:25 AM
You need some new tires on that hog. Milking them for 5 1/2 years aint cool. Not to mention the chain. :lol8:

You can get a good set here for cheap. http://www.jensonusa.com/

It's actually my second set of tires. It's those semi-slicks for the road. I do need some new tires though.

I'd rather pick them up from a bike shop, 'cause when I just see the picture, the tread always looks "beefier" in the picture, and I'm disappointed when they show up.

James_B_Wads2000
05-17-2006, 11:00 AM
I'm still on my original chain from 5-1/2 years ago. They say you should change it every year, but I want to see how long it will last.

If you change your chain you may have to change all of your gears too. Once you ride on the same chain for a long time, the chain and gears kind of wear

Sombeech
05-17-2006, 11:30 AM
Well, that sucks! Is that the main motivation for replacing the chain? I didn't know that.

live2ride
05-17-2006, 02:59 PM
That sucks you got first flat, I guess that is what you get for trying to be a part time roadie!!!! It is crazy I have had two flats this year (pretty lucky for the crazy trails I have ridden) but someone I was riding with has got a flat every ride I have been on??

What kind of tires are you looking for? Road, Mtn bike? Semi slick??
I have changed out my mtn bike (rear) tire twice this year and at the moment I am trying out a larsen TT. Only cost $14.00 from pricepoint.com I also tried out the Kenda Nevegals, great tires but poor sidewall construction.

Sombeech
05-17-2006, 03:05 PM

I'm not quite sure. I'll do road 2-3 times a week, and hit a trail once a week. I don't want to change out the tires every other day. I may just do another semi slick on the rear, and some knobbies on the front.

live2ride
05-17-2006, 03:09 PM

I'm not quite sure. I'll do road 2-3 times a week, and hit a trail once a week. I don't want to change out the tires every other day. I may just do another semi slick on the rear, and some knobbies on the front.

Maxis Larsen TT is a fast rolling rear tire (or front tire) I currently have the 1.9 on the rear and do all Mtn riding; however, last night I was at mueller park and rode the entire loop and the tire was great on the road.

Sombeech
05-17-2006, 03:45 PM
last night I was at mueller park and rode the entire loop and the tire was great on the road.

How was the trail up to the big rock? any mud/snow? We'll be hitting this tomorrow night. We'll be at the trailhead at 5:30

derstuka
05-17-2006, 03:56 PM
[quote=Sombeech]

If you change your chain you may have to change all of your gears too. Once you ride on the same chain for a long time, the chain and gears kind of wear

DickHead
05-19-2006, 06:59 AM
Dude, replace your :frustrated: ing chain! It will make you and your bike more efficient. Also, as your chain gets more and more chewed, it will begin to tear up your cogs and chainrings....thus forcing you to replace all the above.
I doubt the average rider has to change a Mtb chain every year, but at least every other year would be in your best interest.
I agree with james, you've probably already hammerd your gears and are probably due to replace them as well.

Sombeech
05-19-2006, 08:15 AM
If it turns out that my gears have been worn to this current chain, that makes me hope that I never have to replace my chain.

DickHead
05-19-2006, 08:48 AM
If it turns out that my gears have been worn to this current chain, that makes me hope that I never have to replace my chain.

Dude, I don't think you get it. If you've ridden your chain that long its a worthless piece of shit at this point. Replace it! If you have to eat new gears, so be it. Beats riding your bike into the ground!

mattl
05-19-2006, 09:44 AM
Or having to walk from the boonies because of a broken chain. I just did that.. the walk that is.
I got a new chain and all is golden now.

Mtnbiker
05-19-2006, 10:20 AM
Hey SB, to expand on what JJ so eloquently said: depending on your riding conditions and how many miles you put on, you can generally replace your chain only and not the other stuff twice, or maybe 3 times if you're lucky if done at regular intervals.

HOWEVER - at 5 1/2 years those gears are all meshed together and I guarantee that you will see nothing but problems if you only replace your chain, and keep the current cassette and chainrings. Also, if you ride primarily in your middle ring and only use the big and small rings occasionally, those are probably ok. If you use them more than occassionally, and especially after 5 years. just buy a chainring 3-pack and save a few $$.

Mainly look at these parts:

1) Middle chain ring up front: $25 at most. I've had good luck with Race Face rings. (machined, with ramps and pins)
2) Cassette, at least LX level if going with Shimano, or a SRAM 7.0.
3) Chain - Go with SRAM. The quick link is a god send. oh yeah, buy a spare link for $2.99. it's worth it.
4) Your derailleur is likely pretty beat up but ifyou want to keep it, I'd at least put new idler pulleys on it. those teeth have got to be pretty chewed up too.

Check out this search engine, it's very useful. Just type in what bike part you are looking for.
http://www.bestwebbuys.com/bikes/search?q=sram+7.0+cassette&isrc=i-home-search

I just did a complete drivetrain rebuild with middle front ring, cassette, chain and a $50 derailleur for about $120.

I was just thinking... it's easy to criticize when you say your chain is 5 1/2 years old. But, how many miles do you think are on it?? THAT is the real question. :nod:

Shan
05-19-2006, 12:43 PM
A chain can last 10+ years.

It's OK, you can buy a chain, it's not like you're converting to spandex or anything!

DickHead
05-19-2006, 02:57 PM
A chain can last 10+ years.

!

Even longer if the bike hangs in the garage!
:bootyshake:
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. A chain should be able to maintain tension, and roll smoothly. Metal on metal will wear down....replace the stinking thing.

Sombeech
05-19-2006, 03:56 PM
OK, here's where I'm at.

5 year old chain
Possible damage on gears
Possible damage on derailleurs

If I find out that I should replace all those parts WITH the chain, I'm going to ride it as long as I can, and then spend the money that I have to anyways at the end of the summer.

Unless there's MORE damage that can occur besides the afore mentioned, and the bike is riding fine right now, I'm just not motivated to change it right now.

This way, it gives me a chance to save up, and replace it by the end of the summer.

Sombeech
05-19-2006, 08:22 PM
Well, I dismantled my bike tonight and cleaned it all up. Boy, was it dirty.

And guess what I did. (this is where you guess)

derstuka
05-19-2006, 09:19 PM
Well, I dismantled my bike tonight and cleaned it all up. Boy, was it dirty.

And guess what I did. (this is where you guess)

You bought a fondue pot??? :ne_nau:

Sombeech
05-19-2006, 10:10 PM

:lol8: Close, very close.

I PUT ON A NEW CHAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

derstuka
05-19-2006, 10:17 PM

:lol8: Close, very close.

I PUT ON A NEW CHAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I applaud you sir. You are defying the laws of physics!

Any chain sucky sucky, me love you long time?

Sombeech
05-19-2006, 10:55 PM
I applaud you sir. You are defying the laws of physics!
Well, I felt like I had a gang of "new chain activists" on me, so I caved.

DickHead
05-20-2006, 06:12 AM
It was like an intervention or something
:lol8:

greyhair biker
05-21-2006, 01:51 PM
:nod: smart boy!! Now, ride it around a bit & you'll be able to tell if you get chain suck...the ride will either suck or work. The middle ring thing is dead on - I wish I was down there, I'd just come by & fix it for you :haha: The REAL test would be the Mueller Park ride....how did it feel? To change out the middle ring - 32T 5 or 4 hole - you need an allen key to fit the bolt head and a flat screw driver or a chain bolt tool for the back of the ring bolt...piece of cake to change out on your own unless your crankset is 5+ years old....Bro, you're gonna have a heck of a time getting old ring bolts to pop loose. If you have a bikeshop do it for you they have (usually) ring bolts in stock to replace the ones that don't make the removal. Try getting them apart on your own first - then you'll know if you need professional help. You DON'T have to pay alot for a replacement middle ring so don't let'em rip you off. :2thumbs: