PDA

View Full Version : Fortress Canyon (More Fluff)

Iceaxe
05-16-2006, 05:16 PM
I have been cleaning out my computer and here is anther story I found that you might enjoy..... I wrote this one in 2002...

Fortress Canyon
By Anonymous Coward

The best trips are to canyons that have seldom been visited before. One such trip was the first documented descent of Fortress Canyon. Abrupt cliffs, swirling water and high altitude all devise to make this chasm a most inaccessible and lethal place. No known crusade had ever been launched into this threatening abyss.

It was before daylight on a cool autumn day when we departed camp and began climbing the long approach ridge. Our group consisted of two experienced canyoneers and one gumbie, which is the disdainful name often given to novice climbers and canyoneers. At over 3,500-meters in altitude our lungs burned as we trekked upward. The thoughts that are always foremost in our minds during first descents are what if the canyon gets too narrow to scramble through, what if the current is to swift and what is the biggest drop? An earlier scouting trip to the bottom of the canyon gave us plenty of motivation since we knew the route contained several rappels and a long, deep section of narrows. We were also concerned about a section of canyon where the stream appeared to retreat underground for a distance. Although our original scouting trip had been in summer we were forced to wait until autumn for the stream flow to decrease to a somewhat manageable 0.9 cubic meters per second. We entered the canyon high to get above the upper cascades that begin carving the canyon. The first few obstacles were in a shallow slot that contained many short down climbable drops. Soon the canyon narrowed to a constricted slot with polished limestone walls.

The first rappel was from a small pine tree growing from the canyon wall. This 15-meter rappel was rather straightforward and deposited us in a cold, deep pool that requires a short swim to exit. Pulling down the ropes cut off our retreat and committed us to a complete descent.

The second rappel was from a chockstone at ground level. This created a swinging start under the waterfall. Caution was the name of the game as we were all aware of the care needed while using 8mm ropes.

This led us down to the third rappel of 45-meters. We anchored this rappel from logs placed across the top of the drop. The canyon walls narrowed to less than 50 centimeters wide and 150-meters in depth. The canyon was very dark and dramatic as it snaked its way through the limestone with the stream roaring through. The stream current in this narrow slot was agitating and great care was required to stop from being swept down canyon and jammed under rocks or logs. The roar of the cascading water was deafening.

A long section of swimming through the deep dark slot deposited us at the top of the fourth rappel. Three knot-chokes wedged into a crack created a usable anchor. If possible we did not intend to use our bag of courage, which some referrer to as a bolt kit. Our belief is that bolts are to be used in emergencies only and not as a method of dumbing down the canyon to serve up gumbies. This 25-meter rappel dropped into a pitch-black pit. It was necessary to dig out our headlamps to see in the bottom of the pit. At first it appeared that we were trapped as the water disappeared out the bottom of the devil pit. After a bit of searching we found a hole in the chaos of logs and debris at the buttocks of the pit. A bit of squeezing and rearranging would allow us to crawl out the rectum of the devil pit.

We sent our smallest experienced canyoneer through the debris squeeze first with little problem. Keeping with good safety habits we next sent our gumbie through the squeeze. It

Deathcricket
05-17-2006, 09:42 PM
Holy crap. I see a dead deer and I freak out. I can only imagine the sight that met you in that squeeze. And being that close and in confined quarters.....

Great story though.

-D-

tatwood
05-18-2006, 06:20 AM
Holy crap is right! I'm not really sure how I'd react in that situation, but I'm sure I'd scream like a little girl. Great story Ice. Very sad, but still a great story.

James_B_Wads2000
05-18-2006, 07:39 AM
Great story Ice, is this story a first person account? Where is this canyon located? I am guessing in Europe.

James

Iceaxe
05-18-2006, 10:15 AM
The "fluff" means I'm going to tell you guys a story..... Think of this as my "The Da Vinci Code"..... and its up to you guys to decipher the rest.

:2thumbs:

rock_ski_cowboy
05-18-2006, 10:27 AM
I'm guessing this one came from the same file as the "Barranco del Cobre/ Copper Canyon" Marijuana growing landmine file.

Its one of those stories where you tell your friends "Hey I know this guy and you're not going to believe what happened to him..." and they're like "No way! You sure? Thats crazy" and you swear that its real and you're all proud because you know the guy, or at least do in an internet sort of way, and then later you realize or someone tells you that it was just a good fictional story and you're like, "Oh, duh. That was just a really good story. I can't believe I thought it was real" But by then your friends have told all their friends....

Iceaxe
05-18-2006, 11:38 AM
that it was just a good fictional story and you're like, "Oh, duh. That was just a really good story. I can't believe I thought it was real" But by then your friends have told all their friends....

I guess the joke is on the "expert"..... because the "Barranco del Cobre" story is basically true..... it just didn't all happen in the same area, context and time frame as presented....... the "Barranco del Cobre" story is a compilation of a bunch of true smaller stories that happened over a period of time in different places that I compiled into one entertaining story for a writing contest.

I'm amazed are the number of "experts" that pronouce the story fact or fiction without ever bothering to get the answer from the horses mouth. I guess they prefer to get answers from the other end of the horse. :lol8:

The "Fortress Canyon (More Fluff)" story is the same thing...... that is why I call it my "Da Vinci Code". The story is filled with facts that are woven into a story that is fiction.

:five:

rock_ski_cowboy
05-18-2006, 12:38 PM
Fluff boy,

Fictional works, no matter how much fact they contain, are still fictional. Factual stories, if they contain any fiction, are no longer factual. You're original definition of "fluff", directed at Ram and I, was "TR's without Beta". Now you're lying, posting fiction and presenting it as a "TR without Beta". It isn't fair to present these stories without even a mention that they are made up so everyone will think you are so ****ing cool and experienced and then everyone is like "Wow. I get freaked out when i see a dead squirrel, that must have been something else."

If I'm wrong and Barranco del Cobre and these last two pieces aren't fictional, then feel free to call me out.

Thats all.

The "Shane-proclaimed" expert

Iceaxe
05-18-2006, 01:30 PM
Don't be a dumbass!!! :lol8:

None of these stories were ever presented as factual...... that is why I called it my "The Da Vinci Code".

I just thought you would be interested in knowing that they are based on actual events.

Pot field = true
armed gaurds = true
booby traps = true
drunk women flashing = big true
finding a dead guy = true
friend freaking after find dead guy = true
part about me always being cool = big true
Meeting dead guys bro and sis as they retreive the body = true

And just so you get it right..... fluff is entertaining reading that is useless for anything else.... it has noting to do with a TR, unless its not a TR and just entertaining reading.... than its fluff.... please keep your apples and oranges in seperate piles. :roll:

The stories were posted purely for entertainment. They were orginally written for anther purpose.
:popcorn: