PDA

View Full Version : Google Earth Trail Index

mroy
05-16-2006, 02:28 PM
What do you guys think of getting a Google Earth file setup to contain all the trails we ride in each area. I'd like to be able to just download a KMZ, double click it and get all the trails for an area displayed, their names & short descriptions like X.XX miles, XXXX elevation gain, XXXX elevation lost. I'd be willing to do the work with Google Earth if people get me the GPS track files for the trails they ride -- or does anybody know of a resource that already has lots of GPS track files to download?

live2ride
05-16-2006, 02:44 PM
Hey man that is already out there, I ride with a gps unit that is my bike computer and there is a data base of all the trails and all the info you need at motionbased.com I will post a link to the trails that I have ridden so far and the page has all the info on it that you would ever need. If you click on the map player at the top right of the screen it will let you ride the trails and follow it. Also in the middle of the page it has google earth, it maps the trail for you.

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/digest/view.mb

Select the activity you want and then it will open up for you. Also you can look under the trail network for trails (that is how I found out that Mueller is open)

mroy
05-16-2006, 03:02 PM
I tried looking at that site before I posted. I remembered you linking us to it for the Little Canada TR. But it's seriously slow, and I couldn't get anywhere on the site, it's just loading....loading...loading....loading. The sign up page is still loading after 3 minutes while I post this.

live2ride
05-16-2006, 03:04 PM
Works fine from my computer??? Do you have dial up or something??

mroy
05-16-2006, 03:06 PM
They're not Firefox friendly, those bastards. It comes up fine in IE. I'm on cable. I don't even know what dial-up is. I'll check it out and see what I can compile with it.

live2ride
05-16-2006, 03:09 PM
They're not Firefox friendly, those bastards. It comes up fine in IE. I'm on cable. I don't even know what dial-up is. I'll check it out and see what I can compile with it.

Everything you asked for is on there, driving directions, elevation gaines, speed etc. It is a pretty cool site. That is the company that tracks all the 24 hr racers, the montezumas revenge race etc.

mroy
05-16-2006, 03:27 PM
It is a pretty cool site, it's still insanely slow, but at least pages will load eventually in IE. It looks like it has everything I'm looking for, but what I ultimately want is some simplicity with just having one file with all the rides, you download it, double click it and you've got all the trails for your area to look at -- no searching, no processing, no waiting, just everything in one spot.

live2ride
05-16-2006, 03:30 PM
It is a pretty cool site, it's still insanely slow, but at least pages will load eventually in IE. It looks like it has everything I'm looking for, but what I ultimately want is some simplicity with just having one file with all the rides, you download it, double click it and you've got all the trails for your area to look at -- no searching, no processing, no waiting, just everything in one spot.

That is wierd, it is not slow on my end? I found it pretty easy to use with the trail index, make sure you use the filters that they have such as utah and mountain biking, put in your time and it is there. The cool thing is that you can upload the trails to your GPS and ride them and have the trail on your computer that you can follow, I enjoy it.

Sombeech
05-16-2006, 10:18 PM
There is a way that we can put all of our trails on 1 GE download, just like the one that KanyonKris gave us on the Church Rocks TR. He gave us all of these waypoints with the 1 download.

I have not tried to do that yet though. I'll have to look into it to see what is involved. It's probably pretty easy.

I'm assuming you're talking about 1 link that will point to all of the trails we have in the index so far?

mroy
05-17-2006, 08:26 AM
Here's the strategy for that:
Make edited KML files for each trail
Load them in GE
Save them to the same folder for each region
Right click & save the folder as a KMZ

The KMZ's aren't editable by hand, only the KML's

I'm assuming you're talking about 1 link that will point to all of the trails we have in the index so far?
Pretty much, but different files for each region so they're not so unwieldly.

I looked through the trail index on utahmountainbiking.com and tried finding the same trails on motion based, from hiking or biking or whatever and really didn't come up with anything -- except for the BST which is pretty popular for training. Utahmountainbiking.com had GE files for Jardine, North Skyline & South Skyline, plus I have the Bi-Centennial Loop in North Fork from the trail maintenance party page. I have to look through my saved tracks, but I think I have all of Snowbasin's trails, Wheeler, Powder Mtn Race Loop, and some others. Just need to convert them.

Sombeech
05-17-2006, 08:43 AM
Yeah, I think this is a good idea. I can't promise you when I can have it done, but I'll put this near the top of the list.

Thanks man.

live2ride
05-17-2006, 03:04 PM
Here's the strategy for that:
Make edited KML files for each trail
Load them in GE
Save them to the same folder for each region
Right click & save the folder as a KMZ

The KMZ's aren't editable by hand, only the KML's

Pretty much, but different files for each region so they're not so unwieldly.

I looked through the trail index on utahmountainbiking.com and tried finding the same trails on motion based, from hiking or biking or whatever and really didn't come up with anything -- except for the BST
which is pretty popular for training. Utahmountainbiking.com had GE files for Jardine, North Skyline & South Skyline, plus I have the Bi-Centennial Loop in North Fork from the trail maintenance party page. I have to look through my saved tracks, but I think I have all of Snowbasin's trails, Wheeler, Powder Mtn Race Loop, and some others. Just need to convert them.

I found all the trails that you mentioned above on motion based? It may help that I am a member of motionbased? I could at least get the files from there and help you out in that sense? If you know how to search correctly you will find almost every trail out there on motion based? Also maybee you have to be a member to get the full index?? Let me know what I can do.

mroy
05-17-2006, 03:41 PM
I'm showing 16,118 results on the trailnetwork page without any filters on, if you get more, then I'm sure that they limit the number shown to the non-payers, otherwise it's probably me.