PDA

View Full Version : Tent repairs

Wasatch Rebel
05-16-2006, 12:46 PM
I have a rain fly (nylon) with several small tears in it. Do they sell kits to repair these things? If so, where? If not, how do you repair holes in nylon tents so that the repair job holds?

tatwood
05-16-2006, 01:13 PM
REI sells some tent repair kits that include some adhesive nylon patches. I haven

Cirrus2000
05-16-2006, 03:09 PM
Here's a repair method from Mountain Equipment Co-op. (Canada's member-owned co-operative version of REI)

Way too long to show onscreen - just click here (http://www.mec.ca/Main/content_text.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=25343743028 81800&CONTENT%3C%3Ecnt_id=10134198673221499&bmUID=1147817154829)

I fixed a rip in the side of my tent beside the peg loop (lots of pressure on it) using this method and "Shoe Goo". Works great.

Wasatch Rebel
05-17-2006, 08:51 PM
Thanks for your help. That will really help out with the tears. I have a hole caused by a runaway campfire ash about quarter sized. I guess those kits from REI etc., will work for that kind of repair? And does anyone know how to repair zippers that have gotten separated? You know, the teeth no longer interconnect?

accadacca
05-18-2006, 07:57 AM
If you have a zipper issue or anything for that matter. I take my stuff down to Kirkhams on State and have them sew a new one on for me. They do a great job. I have had them sew straps, zippers, velcro. :2thumbs:

Wasatch Rebel
05-18-2006, 11:34 AM
If you have a zipper issue or anything for that matter. I take my stuff down to Kirkhams on State and have them sew a new one on for me. They do a great job. I have had them sew straps, zippers, velcro. :2thumbs:

How much do they charge? It seems like I've called them and it was pretty expensive--then again, I have fairly cheap tents so spending $50 or more to get them fixed doesn't seem worth it. One of these days, when I'm not sending my tents off with Boy Scouts to get abused, I'll have to get a really nice tent and keep it nice. :haha:

accadacca
05-18-2006, 01:48 PM
I haven

Wasatch Rebel
05-19-2006, 11:15 AM
[quote=accadacca]I haven

Shan
05-19-2006, 01:21 PM
We have repaired rips in tents using a tent repair patch kit, maybe a Coleman brand? It was easy.

TreeHugger
05-19-2006, 01:35 PM
I bought a repair kit years ago, dont remember what it was, but I repaired two holes in my thermarest with it and a pair of rain pants of my sister's. This kit is pretty nifty, and can be used easily out in the wilderness. You cut the patch the size you need it, then you boil some water and press the hot pot on the patch. It adheres very well and you're good to go. I repaired my thermarest about 6 years ago and it's still good!!

Sometimes Kirkhams can fix the zipper instead of replace it - they did that for my tent, dont remember how much, sorry, but it didnt strike me as being expensive, that repair job is still good as well.

Wasatch Rebel
05-19-2006, 04:27 PM
Sometimes Kirkhams can fix the zipper instead of replace it - they did that for my tent, dont remember how much, sorry, but it didnt strike me as being expensive, that repair job is still good as well.

Yeah, I'm sure to repair is cheaper than to replace. By the way, I used to work at Kirkham's back in the 1970s. In their tent repair department, no less. However, most of the tents back then that I worked on were canvas and easy to glue a patch onto. I was a bad employee back then which I regret to this day--and they fired me as I deserved. Of course, it didn't help that the guy they had training me expected me to learn by osmosis--I don't think he ever showed me how to do anything.