PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report Negro Bill Canyon - Short Hike to Morning Glory Arch

Cirrus2000
05-15-2006, 05:35 PM
September 28, 2004. My friend Tony and I headed into Negro Bill Canyon, for the hike to Morning Glory Arch. Spent about 3 hours in total, and it was spectacular! The little glade at the end of the side canyon where the arch is located is just beautiful. A little stream comes out of a crack in the wall, and forms a little pond, which then drains out down the canyon. The only downside to the whole hike was that a quick thunderstorm came through, rained on us a bit, and moved off. It wasn

tatwood
05-15-2006, 07:03 PM
Great shots! That lightning picture is awesome :2thumbs:

Sombeech
05-15-2006, 07:36 PM
Using the photo attachment thang to indicate that there are photos in here :

Good idea man. :nod: Some people just skip right over the posts if they don't see that paperclip there.

Great shot!
http://kev.cirruswebsolutions.ca/moab04/IMG_2266.jpg

Cirrus2000
05-15-2006, 08:40 PM
Using the photo attachment thang to indicate that there are photos in here :

Good idea man. :nod: Some people just skip right over the posts if they don't see that paperclip there.

Yeah - I put my photos on my own server, and embed them (I prefer not having the boxes and boxes, and size, and filename, etc.) But I'll put at least one attachment in from now on... :)

Great shot!

Thanks - we took about 25, and, like, 3 turned out well

moabfool
05-16-2006, 09:14 AM
Awesome pix. I've never hiked up the canyon to Morning Glory Natural Bridge even though I've been there four times. I've always come down from the top. Give it a try some time. Awesome stuff.

James_B_Wads2000
05-16-2006, 12:05 PM
***Moderator Mumbo Jumbo***

Hey moabfool,

I resized your pictures to reduce the side-scrolling effect. For a nice tutorial on how to resize photos see this post:
http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1718

Thanks,

James

moabfool
05-16-2006, 12:21 PM
***Moderator Mumbo Jumbo***

Hey moabfool,

I resized your pictures to reduce the side-scrolling effect. For a nice tutorial on how to resize photos see this post:
http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1718

Thanks,

James

Well, I got bit on the butt with that one. I re-sized them to 600 x 450 and posted them. I thought they looked like crap so I tried again. I made them 1800 x 1350 and thought they looked just fine. They didn't side-scroll or anything after I uploaded them. I guess it took somebody else opening them for the problem to expose its self. The problem will not be repeated.

Thanks for the tutorial. I was wondering if there was a way to re-size batches of pictures. That's really good information. :popcorn: You saved me having to ask. Thanks.

marc olivares
05-16-2006, 12:33 PM
tandem rapel definately the stylish way to exit that drop.
the hike out is nice too :haha:

moabfool
05-16-2006, 12:54 PM
tandem rapel definately the stylish way to exit that drop.
the hike out is nice too :haha:

Yah, it's a puckerer. I did the tandem rap my first two times down. Getting the rappellers evenly weighted at the top is a challenge. Now I send the heaviest person down from the tree. I throw the rope over the arch, have the guy at the bottom tie in climbing-style, and use them as an anchor, sending one rappeller at at time. It's still very thrilling and not quite as dangerous as that tandem start IMHO.

Even when I've done the tandem rap I've sent a couple people down from the tree and had them belay those rappelling from the arch. I've never had a shortage of volunteers to go from the tree, and I like the extra measure of security.

I have yet to get any of my mid-rap photos to turn out on Morning Glory Bridge. It's shadowy in there and on free-air raps the rope always seem to twist just quickly enough to blur your partner/anchor.