PDA

View Full Version : Need trip advice

carlj75
05-14-2006, 11:57 AM
Hello everyone! A couple questions for you... I am getting dropped off in Moab for 5 days during the last week of May. I will have my mountain bike, camping, and climbing gear with me. I want to ride all of the cool trails in the area and also want to do some canyoneering. My problem is that I have no idea where to stay. I want to stay in a campground with running water and showers somewhere close to town. I need to be within a short ride of town since I will not have a car and will need to re-supply. I also want to be within riding distance of some of the bike trailheads and canyons. Any suggestions would be great! Also if anybody has done a week long trip in Moab, an itinerary would be awesome!

Cirrus2000
05-14-2006, 08:41 PM
Hey carlj75 - welcome.

I spent 4 days in Moab with a friend in Sept. 2004 - going back this September for a while.

Don't have a lot of advice for you - we stayed about 10 miles north of town (with a vehicle) at Archview Resort (http://archviewresort.com/) campground. While it was a fine spot, it's a little ways out of town. On the other hand, it's fairly close to the lower end of the trip to Gemini Bridges.

We did the Gemini Bridges, but not as the shuttle often described - we did it out & back from Highway 191. Not an overly difficult climb, and a really fun descent back out.

An easy trip we did was the Klondike Bluffs - excellent views, especially once you get off your bike and hike into the bluffs in Arches National Park.

You really neet to try out the Slickrock Trail - a great intro to riding on slickrock. Lots of exhilarating, technical riding.

There are tougher, technical trails (Amasa Back, Porcupine Rim, etc.) but I'm not in any position to describe them, weenie that I am.

Mostly, I just want to say that to do all of the cool trails plus canyoneering around Moab, you'll need more than 5 days - you'll have to come back again and again. I know I'm addicted!

Sombeech
05-14-2006, 10:29 PM
First of all, welcome to the forum!

Second of all, you lucky bastard! :cool2: That sounds like you'll have a good time in Moab.

I'm trying to remember if the camping grounds right across from Slickrock have running water. It seems like they did, hopefully somebody can confirm this. That's the last place that I camped in Moab, and it was about 5 years ago. Ever since then, I've just been getting motels.

I remember there being a shower at the Lion's Back entrance, but this may not be open to the public any more. Since you mentioned climbing, I would suggest you also ask this question in the Canyoneering section. A lot of those dudes are familiar with Moab as well. Good luck man, and take lots of pictures!

Sombeech
05-14-2006, 10:33 PM
Since you mentioned climbing, I would suggest you also ask this question in the Canyoneering section.

oops, I meant the Climbing section, too.

TreeHugger
05-15-2006, 06:53 AM
I would suggest the Slickrock Campground in town. It's not the greatest as far as ambiance :-) but it's functional. Showers, water, etc. It's withing walking distance of town, groceries, etc. You can ride from there to the SLickrock trail, to Porcupine Rim (a long ride, but we've done it - total, about 30 miles), and to Amassa Back. Spend three days riding these classic Moab trails, then spend two days canyoneering.

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/

Make sure you have LOTS of water and gatorade with you - it could be in the 90s that weekend (it was last year). Ride early and be smart - the Utah heat can be dangerous.

mroy
05-15-2006, 09:30 AM
The hostel on the south side of town isn't too bad, and they have cabins as an option. Not exactly camping, but you're likely to meet other bikers who will give you lifts to trailheads there. You're pretty close to Flat Pass and the Hidden Valley Trail which hooks into the Moab Rim Trail.

One thing you might want to consider are shuttle services. I'd never used one until last year to do a ride I'd be unable to do otherwise -- that is ride down the Shafer Road along a portion of the White Rim, and drop down into Lathrop Canyon without needing to go back up. A boat picks you up at the river. It was only $50, which is the cost for normal drop offs at trailheads minus the boat ride. Lathrop Canyon was a hoot to ride until you hit the very bottom and had to walk through sand till the river. Point is, the shuttle services can be very good, and well worth the price in certain circumstances, like not having a car.

carlj75
05-17-2006, 10:20 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone. I am totally looking forward to my trip. I think I am going to stay at a campground in town so that I have running water and showers. I will probably take advantage of the shuttle services for some of the rides or I might rent a car for a day or two. I will ask about the canyons in the canyoneering section. Thanks again!