PDA

View Full Version : Question about multi-use trails (poopy question)

mtnbiker62
05-12-2006, 09:11 AM
This question occured to me last night while riding. Why don't the pet leash/poop laws apply to horses? Isn't horse poop as foul/infectious/dangerous as dog or cat poop? I know (from sad experience) that it's just as nasty!

Udink
05-12-2006, 09:15 AM
I think it should apply to horses just the same as to dogs. Horse crap is certainly much more obtrusive than any other animal's waste.

I find the "No Firearms" sign equally amusing. Local governments have no authority to prohibit firearms--only the state and federal governments have that authority in Utah. Municipalities can regulate the discharge of firearms, but not their possession.

Fuzzy TheBikeGuy
05-12-2006, 11:05 AM
I find the "No Firearms" sign equally amusing...

"...a freeman does not obey unjust law.'
Tho' Jefferson

...But, of course, horses were "grandfathered" in- or something. They don't have to clean-up after themselves, repair their trail damage, stay on the trails, stay off muddy trails, close gates behind them, alert other trail users of their aproach, :frustrated: rag,rag,rag...

...hard to blame the HORSE, tho'.

mroy
05-13-2006, 11:01 AM
This is one of my biggest peeves, and I've talked with equestrians about it. They have a gazillion reasons why they think it's okay, most of which I disagree with.

They say:
-Herbivorous crap is less offensive than carnivorous crap
-It's mostly undigested grass, and water and is a beautiful sign of how healthy the horse is
-It dries up quickly and isn't a nuissance
-It soon disappears thereafter
-Diapers impede the horses ability to navigate trails
-Dismounting to get the crap off the trail is dangerous and impractical

I say:
-Quantity trumps quality when it comes to crap on the trails
-Poop is poop no matter what's still recognizable in it
-How quickly is quick to them for the poop to dry out and stop reeking? A month?
-If 3 years for a huge pile of crap to disappear is quick, what are they comparing it to.
-Diapers are made for uncontrollable pooping machines
-Dismounting to clean up after your horse is a risk you're going to have to be willing to take

It all comes down to the fact that equestrians are so used to dealing with their horses crap that it doesn't bother them at all, they even like the smell (reminds me of a recent south park). They don't realize that everybody else considers it totally nasty. Last year on a hike I encountered a 20 foot long spread of vile horse diarrhea that covered the entire width of the trail. That's not something you can just walk around.

I've been told, but never cared to research it to find out, that the majority of the trails we have today are here largely because of the work done by equestrians to build them, so they feel that gives them more rights to trails than others.

In certain areas of the country where it's become a real problem, hikers and bikers have been able to band together to get trails closed to equestrians. That spurred regular trail cleanups by equestrians to keep the amount of crap on the other trails to a minimum.

Cleaning out a horse trailer in a parking lot is essentially littering, and some equestrians would agree, others don't care. If you get enough people complaining though you can get signs put up notifying them of fines, and then report them if they still do it.

I don't want to limit anybody's access to the trails, but they should be held responsible for the messes their rides leave behind. Somebody needs to introduce them to the concept of leave no trace.

derstuka
05-14-2006, 04:26 PM
This is one of my biggest pet peeves! :frustrated: I b*tch about it all the time. I don't care what anyboy says, if you, or your animal sh*ts on the trail, CLEAN IT UP!!! Horses should not be an exception! Like was mentioned, it takes a long while for it to dry up, and it gets extra yummy when it rains.

I guess I just need to become a vegetarian so I can sh*t on the trail like the horses!

Sombeech
05-14-2006, 08:50 PM
Ha! This is a great topic! :nod:

So does this mean that vegetarian humans can crap all over the trails? Seriously!

I think it really boils down to inconvenience. I can truly see both sides of the argument, since I often ride horses as well. But it is ridiculous to outlaw a smaller poop, but let the bigger poop "ride".

derstuka
05-16-2006, 07:14 AM
So does this mean that vegetarian humans can crap all over the trails? Seriously!

Yes, so start taking a crap right in the middle of the trail. Don't even think about moving it off to the side or anything!

Sombeech
05-16-2006, 08:10 AM

Yes, so start taking a crap right in the middle of the trail. Don't even think about moving it off to the side or anything!

How long do I have to go without Beef Jerky so I can start doing this?

mroy
05-16-2006, 08:27 AM

How long do I have to go without Beef Jerky so I can start doing this?

There are officially two schools of thought here, one requires that you plan on adhering to the principles of vegetarianism over a lifetime, the other that you'd simply need to flush all traces of meat from your system, and then infuse it with nourishing vegetables, soy products, and wheatgrass juice. Throw in any additional nutrients you'd like, let stew for a day or so, and you're set.

But do us all a favor, and please do 'it' only on an equestrian only trail or parking lot (if you really want to get noticed).

Thanks.

Sombeech
05-16-2006, 08:46 AM
I'll even wipe with a Lamb's Ear leaf, so I can leave EVERYTHING right there on the trail.

Now, if I do it on somebody's hood at the trailhead, would that be overboard?

derstuka
05-16-2006, 09:06 AM
I'll even wipe with a Lamb's Ear leaf, so I can leave EVERYTHING right there on the trail.

Now, if I do it on somebody's hood at the trailhead, would that be overboard?

I think doing it RIGHT in front of their car door would be an appropriate place. That way, maybe they can step directly in it, like many have done with horsesh*t, or fling it at them, like what happens when your front tire flings it up at you. Hey, it is NATURAL, what are you b*tching about???