PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report Logan Deer Fence TR

mtnbiker62
05-12-2006, 09:07 AM
Hi all. I had some spare time last night, so I loaded the big bike in the Fatmobile and we headed to Logan for some more early season goodness. I needed a quick ride before dark, and the Deer Fence was just the ticket. The Deer Fence is really part of the Bonneville Shoreline trail, and it is so signed, but we were riding it and calling it the Deer Fence long before there was a Bonneville Shoreline trail. This is the southern section of the Deer Fence/Bonneville Shoreline.

This is another fairly easy trail, with not much technical difficulty. There are a couple of downhills with loose rock/gravel, though, so keep your wits about you. The aerobic difficulty is a little tougher than the River trail, for example, because it goes up and down. This time of year is the perfect time to ride this trail; it is green and packed down well. Later in the year it gets pretty dusty/loose. Motorcycles/4 wheelers are also allowed on portions of this trail, so be aware of their presence. The trail extends approximately 2.5 miles south to Providence Canyon. It is possible to continue south for quite a few more miles, but the trail isn't as much fun...we'll leave it at that.

To get to the Deer Fence trailhead, follow Center Street east until it turns into Mountain Road, then follow Mountain Road all the way to the top. Be aware that Mountain Road makes a 90 degree turn on top of the hill; if you go straight it turns into Cliffside Drive. The Dry Canyon trailhead/parking area is at the end of the paved road. Turn right immediately after crossing the bridge for the Deer Fence trail.

So I present to you, the Deer Fence.

Ross
05-13-2006, 08:14 PM
nice pictures.

looks like a good little ride.

Sombeech
05-14-2006, 08:54 PM
Man, that shoreline trail is everywhere! Thanks for the TR. I added this one to the index.

live2ride
05-14-2006, 10:12 PM
Looks like another great quickie!! Pics are great. So when do the major trails open up for riding. Steel Hollow, Old Ephraims??? Any idea, Thanks

kadeater
05-15-2006, 08:10 AM
Looks like another great quickie!! Pics are great. So when do the major trails open up for riding. Steel Hollow, Old Ephraims??? Any idea, Thanks

Steel Hollow and Old Ephriams should be rideable within 3 weeks if the weather stays warm and dry. There are only a few little snow patches on the ridge tops now. Mostly the trails are just muddy.

mattl
05-16-2006, 09:14 AM
Is that a preston? If so... how do you like it?

kadeater
05-16-2006, 12:25 PM

I take my other post back. The trails up in the mud flat area are good to go.

mtnbiker62
05-16-2006, 12:38 PM
It's a 2005 Preston, size small. I've been looking for quite a while for a sturdy, clyde-worthy dually, and this one seems to be the ticket. I rode a 2003 Jamis Dakar XLT for 2 years, and it was okay, but a little too big for me (I rode a 17"). I was also worried about the long term durability of the frame (a lot of people broke the 2003 rear triangles). When Jamis gave up the Horst link, that was the final straw for me. I knew that if I ever needed a warranty replacement, I wouldn't have the Horst link, so I started looking around. I found this one in March of this year, and built it up as a all-mountain bike. I chose the 2005 over the 2006 because it has a steeper head angle, which seemed better to me for all-mountain use. I won't be hucking or doing any big drops (1-2 feet is my max), so the steeper head angle won't be a problem. I've ridden it in Fruita and at Bootleg Canyon, and really like it so far. I do have an all-mountain hardtail, and I usually choose that bike for smooth trail rides, but I chose the Preston that day, because it was closer to the door! :haha:

Is that a preston? If so... how do you like it?

tbike99
05-16-2006, 02:03 PM
Deer Fence is a great trail, I used to live right by it. I've ridden it so many times but it is still fun. :mrgreen:

mattl
05-16-2006, 02:23 PM
I have heard good things about them bikes.

live2ride
05-16-2006, 02:58 PM

So Logan is mud free and ready to ride? I would be interested in riding p there pretty soon. Thanks for the info

mtnbiker62
05-16-2006, 04:03 PM
Some are ready...Mud Flats, River Trail, etc. The higher trails will still need a little more time...but they're getting close.

So Logan is mud free and ready to ride? I would be interested in riding p there pretty soon. Thanks for the info