PDA

View Full Version : Peak Bagging

moabfool
05-12-2006, 08:36 AM
Would it be too presumptuous to suggest that the name of this forum be changed to "Hiking, High Pointing & Peak Bagging"? Then y'all could add a TR index for Peak Bagging. Don't get me wrong, I love to hike, but I think it's unfair to lump Cecret Lake and The Grand Teton (or even Devil's Castle) in the same TR index.

rockgremlin
05-12-2006, 09:08 AM
I think many people assume peak bagging and high pointing are the same thing....at least I do. :ne_nau:

moabfool
05-13-2006, 03:59 PM
I think many people assume peak bagging and high pointing are the same thing....at least I do. :ne_nau:

Yah, the difference is semantic really. High Pointing is Peak Bagging, but Peak Bagging is not always High Pointing, in Utah at least. It's like saying all blondes are human, but not all humans are blond. In states like Iowa and Nebraska High Pointing is not nearly the challenge that it is in the west.

Perhaps an example will help. I could "Peak Bag" Mt. Timpanogos (11,749'), but to "High Point" I would have to hike/climb Mt. Nebo (11,928') which is the highest point in Utah County and The Wasatch Range. Anyway, that's the difference, at least as I see it. :blahblah:

Iceaxe
05-14-2006, 03:52 PM
I like:

Hiking & Peak Bagging

which would also cover highpointing.... but I'm not in charge.... but when it is my turn to be god that will be the name of the forum.... also... when it's my turn to be god beer will be free :2thumbs:

Scott P
05-14-2006, 05:27 PM
I think many people assume peak bagging and high pointing are the same thing....at least I do

They are not the same. Peak bagging involves hiking and climbing to a peak.

Highpointing includes getting there by any means available; including driving. Also a highpoint isn't; ie where the politicians drew the state lines) always at the summit of a peak. Some highpoints are on slopes of peaks. Peak bagging is usually geography orientated, and highpointing uses political boundaries more.