PDA

View Full Version : Carlsbad caverns

mossimo64
05-11-2006, 07:15 PM
Just got back from a detail to New Mexico and had a chance to visit Carlsbad caverns when I was their. Simply put it was touristy, no laser light shows or colored lights, but very touristy. I could handle the wheelchair accesible trail going in the 'natural' entrance, and the elevator ride out, but when their was a lit sign giving directions on which whey to go to get food and restrooms in the middle of the big room, and the fact their is no smoking allowed in the cave yet they sell smokes at the local store, in the cavern, I really lost interest. Everything was to be expected for a rented winebago go-er excursion. Though I really lost all thought of the cavern being cool when I could do my duty on real porcelain, in a cave, and not have to put it in a plastic baggy to pack out, but actually flush. This all led to the interesting conversation on the way up the elevator with the cute park ranger of 'Where does the shit go?' None the less, if you are in the area, take a gander, nature is pretty amazing, and so is man kind.

greyhair biker
05-13-2006, 07:52 PM
I'll be hitting the cavern the end of the month...it's been 20 years since I was last there so I might be a bit disappointed but the family hasn't seen it at all so it will be novel for them. :mrgreen: