PDA

View Full Version : Canyoneer Survival Story

rockgremlin
05-10-2006, 09:34 AM
Remember that dude that fell and broke his leg in Upper Chute, and his brother went for help, leaving him overnight in freezing temps?

His story will be on channel 2 news tomorrow (the 11th), at 10:00 pm.

Iceaxe
05-10-2006, 11:07 AM
Thanks for the heads up!!!

Here is the story for anyone interested in catching up.

Baptisit Draw Rescue
http://climb-utah.com/SRS/baptist.htm

Funny.... I was exchanging emails with Justin's wife about a month ago... here is some of what she had to say....

Hi, my husband is Justin Harris who was the brother who fell and broke his leg in your Adventure Tales-Stories "Baptist Draw Accident - San Rafael Swell". He spent two freezing nights trying to stay alive in the canyon while waiting for rescue. His water bottle froze and so he would hit it against the canyon wall to get ice chips to stay hydrated. The time he spent down there is amazing to hear about it. We named our youngest child Emery Faith Harris after Emery County Search and Rescue.

Also he was the owner of the Isuzu Trooper in your article "Flash Flood - San Rafael Swell - Little Wildhorse Canyon"

I think the San Rafael Swell is really trying to kill him, but yet its beauty and awe draw him back often.

I thought you would like to know that Justin and Jeremy's story of what happened in Baptist Draw is being aired on the Discovery Channel's "I Shouldn't Be Alive" series in May. Justin is also writing a book that should be out this summer sometime. A company who is interested in publishing his book sent me a link to your website. So while surfing it I realized Justin had sent some pictures and put a note about the flash flood. I remember him telling me he did that but I guess I had never looked at your site. It is a very well done, interesting, informative site.

Thanks
Tricia

Iceaxe
05-14-2006, 04:17 PM
Hey... I watched this KUTV 2 story and it was well done. They even visited the canyon and got many of the facts correct.

Here is the video if you want to watch it:

Trapped in a Slot Canyon
http://www.kutv.com/video/?id=15419@kutv.dayport.com

:popcorn:

live2ride
05-14-2006, 05:06 PM
That was a pretty good story on them, I will be looking forward to the show on Discovery!!

canyonquest
05-15-2006, 07:35 AM
Hey... I watched this KUTV 2 story and it was well done. They even visited the canyon and got many of the facts correct.

Yes, well done, but I don't know if they actually visited the canyon. I was flattered to see they lifted a lot of pics from canyonquest.com for the story. ':doh:'

James_B_Wads2000
05-15-2006, 08:12 AM
Yes, well done, but I don't know if they actually visited the canyon. I was flattered to see they lifted a lot of pics from canyonquest.com for the story. ':doh:'

That's what you get Wade for taking such purdy pictures. :2thumbs:

James :cool2:

Iceaxe
05-15-2006, 09:16 AM
Maybe I was doped..... I saw the pics and recognized Baptist and Chute and just figured they did there own homework.... congrats on getting your pictures posted, it would have been nice if they had of given credit.

And WELCOME to the forum :2thumbs:

:popcorn: