PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report Frary Peak Summited aka Gaurdian of the Trail

Mtnman1830
05-03-2006, 02:06 PM
After getting snubbed earlier this year, ((http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=210400, I finally got the motovation go get back up there. Hardy invited me to go up with him, but he had to leave earlier than I could go, so I went up a few hours after he did.

The trail was great, with views overlooking some herds of buffalo. The trail we missed earlier that was covered with snow took me down the west side of the ridge, then switchbacked up to the peak.

I found the geocache with no problem, then it started to rain and I high-tailed it down.

When I was nearly at the trailhead, a rock didn't quite look just right. It was a big bull just a few yards from the trail.

I hollered and threw a rock, but the bull just shook his head, so I backtracked up the mountain side to where I could see if there were any more on these shaggy beasts, and to plan my escape.

After bushwacking around the old bull, and looking out for anymore, I made it back to the trailhead and to my car. I was wet, and excited to tell my story of the "Gaurdian of the Trail"

accadacca
05-03-2006, 04:03 PM
I hate when a big animal just sits their and stares and you. Giving you the look like - I ain't movin'. :lol8:

Iceaxe
05-03-2006, 04:25 PM
That's a cool hike, but the Buff's make it AWESOME!

:2thumbs:

Sombeech
05-03-2006, 07:53 PM
Is this antelope island?

Mtnman1830
05-03-2006, 08:42 PM
Is this antelope island?

Yup, sure is

icthys
05-04-2006, 07:32 AM
Did this one two weeks ago, it was a great hike and not very many bugs. We didn't encounter any bison but there were hundreds of chukar clucking away. There are great views up on that peak. Thanks for the nice report.

James_B_Wads2000
05-04-2006, 09:14 AM
I was surprised to hear that the trail to Frary Peak was still open. I gave the visitor's center a call and they said the trail is no going to be closed at all this year. I guess they have determined that the bighorn sheep do not use that area for lambing. That's cool, I hope to climb it sometime this spring before the bugs come out.

Hey Mtnman1830, do you want to climb the coolest West Desert mountain this weekend? Or anyone else for that matter?

James