PDA

View Full Version : Oakley, Utah to start taxing cyclists

Sombeech
05-02-2006, 02:54 PM
What the hell? Oakley City Councilman DelRay Hatch wants to start taxing cyclists for using the roads as well! We all know the benefits that cycling has, with less cars on the road, less polution, getting in shape, yadda yadda yadda... But this dude wants to tax them!

Here's the article.
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=241771

I actually rode to work today. If this goes through, I'll slap on my studded winter tires on the car and go tear it up down there.

live2ride
05-02-2006, 07:59 PM
What a jack ass, I can't believe someone would want to start taxing cyclist? What's next taxing people for walking and carpooling?

accadacca
05-02-2006, 08:14 PM
:eek2: I agree about the bike lane thing. but even then this is ridiculous. :roll: Can you hunt down an email for this clown? We ought to all spam him with complaints.

DickHead
05-02-2006, 08:50 PM
:eek2: I agree about the bike lane thing. but even then this is ridiculous. :roll: Can you hunt down an email for this clown? We ought to all spam him with complaints.

Better yet, go to the Oakly city council meeting tomorrow night if you can. 7pm IIRC.

Sombeech
05-02-2006, 09:00 PM
Better yet, go to the Oakly city council meeting tomorrow night if you can. 7pm IIRC.

Good call. I found another article with his justifications stated: He said that when cyclists have races and shut down some roads, they should be taxed because it takes longer to drive somewhere.

Solution: Just charge a fee to race! Don't tax all of the flippin' cyclists like myself who are too out of shape to race, but strive to get in shape by riding! :frustrated: Use the race fee to "make up" for the inconvenience.

There is absolutely no logical reason to tax all cyclists. What if they only ride once a week? That means they're driving the other days, and they're getting double taxed.

accadacca
05-02-2006, 09:13 PM
The dude is clearly a blabbering sea monkey. :bash:

mroy
05-03-2006, 09:34 AM
So this is where Oakley is: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=oakley,+ut&ll=40.714722,-111.3&spn=0.384616,0.610428&om=1

Yeah, dude's a dumbass. I really don't like the people in government that look at everyone as giant piggy banks overflowing with money. If they succeed, which they might given that it's such a small town, that would invite other cities to consider doing the same.

cachehiker
05-03-2006, 09:57 AM
If Oakley isn't providing him one already, the guy is probably taking a tax deductions for business use of his gas guzzler too. After all, it costs him a lot of money to drive back and forth between city council meetings.

derstuka
05-04-2006, 10:56 PM
What the hell? Oakley City Councilman DelRay Hatch wants to start taxing cyclists for using the roads as well! We all know the benefits that cycling has, with less cars on the road, less polution, getting in shape, yadda yadda yadda... But this dude wants to tax them!

Here's the article.
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=241771

I actually rode to work today. If this goes through, I'll slap on my studded winter tires on the car and go tear it up down there.

It is about time that somebody has stepped up and tried to put a stop to those damn hippie cyclists using the roads for free! Who do they think they are?? Hogging up the roads when smog-belching cars and SUVs are forced to move out of the way! We need more elected officials like this brilliant man! Bicyclists are evil...death to them all!!! :assault: :ride: :rifle:

KillEmAll
05-08-2006, 01:44 PM
If people would start taking my stupidity tax seriously I'd make a killing off of this guy.

Fuzzy TheBikeGuy
05-12-2006, 11:19 AM
This brilliant public servant clearly understands the pain-in-the-ass posed by ROADIES. :2thumbs: Maybe we need to conduct an urban off-road group-ride in Oakley (through yards, driveways, parking lots, and etc.

...also, I think it would be unfair to tax America's most common learning disability; Stupidity. Have a heart. :bootyshake: