PDA

View Full Version : Daisy chain safety info from BD

Ryebrye
04-28-2006, 02:23 PM
I saw this video in another forum, and it makes a good point on how to safely shorten a daisy. (Hint - use two biners... not one...)

They demonstrate how a daisy can fail and completely pull off of the biner if you shorten it incorrectly... I don't know if everyone has seen this already or not - but it is a good safety tip.

http://www.bdel.com/videos/daisy.html

I don't know what's up with the music, but the video itself is worth watching.

Angel
04-28-2006, 02:28 PM
Good stuff :nod:

moabfool
05-02-2006, 07:19 AM
They demonstrate how a daisy can fail and completely pull off of the biner if you shorten it incorrectly...

I remember hearing a similar discussion over on the Canyoneering Yahoo board. The discussion was about daisy chains failing when used as a safety. Is this the same subject? I remember that people were saying that daisy chains may fail, but sewn dynema slings were okay. Basically, is the problem with daisy chains confined to poor technique (cross-loading the tacking) rather than materials of construction?

Iceaxe
05-02-2006, 07:25 AM
This is the same discussion that was on the Canyoneer group about a year ago. basically it comes down to don't clip into a mid loop as a safety tether.

Daisy chains are very handy when used properly and can be very dangerous when missused. Some folks hate daisy chains because they feel all gear should be idiot proof.

:nod:

moabfool
05-02-2006, 09:43 AM
Glad we have these groups. I bet there are people out there who get in a lot of trouble without all this tribal knowledge. I will be much more wary of how I and the people I'm climbing/canyoneering with use daisy chains.