PDA

View Full Version : Red Hollow - New Canyoneering Route

Iceaxe
04-27-2006, 08:51 PM
I know how much some of you like big rappels so here is a new canyoneering route that will puker your butt.....

Red Hollow
http://climb-utah.com/Zion/redhollow.htm

The picture was taken by Gary Palmer from the rim as our group descended the beast.

:2thumbs:

Ryebrye
04-28-2006, 06:46 AM
Red Hollow is a fun canyon that is off the beaten path. The canyon requires complete technical gear to descend. Navigation for this route is easy. Red Hollow is rated 3A II using the Canyon Rating System. You do not need a Zion backcountry permit for this canyon.

Cool. So since it's not under backcountry control, that means I can use an electric drill to place bolts? Nice! I'll go place a bolt ladder down that long rappel for people who get tired mid-rappel and need some rest. :five: (j/k)

I know it's part of your circle of friends thing - but just a few questions about it:

1. How long of an approach?
2. How many raps?
3. Rope length needed?
4. How long of an exit?
5. How long in the canyon?

That one long rap looks fun - but if it's a 12 hour hike for a single 300 foot rap, and then a 17 hour exit you can understand why I wouldn't be too excited.

Iceaxe
04-28-2006, 07:09 AM
If you had of read the teaser you would know the entire route is a half-day affair and that Red Hollow is rated 3A II using the Canyon Rating System.

The 3 means no fancy rope work, pothole escapes, or extremely difficult technique is required. The A means its dry, the II means half-a-day.

Ya have to sign up to get the rest of the details :lol8:

Iceaxe
04-28-2006, 07:15 AM
Here are a couple more pictures of the canyon to wet your appetite.

savanna3313
04-28-2006, 08:40 AM
I know how much some of you like big rappels so here is a new canyoneering route that will puker your butt.....

Red Hollow

The picture was taken by Gary Palmer from the rim as our group descended the beast.

:2thumbs:

Dang!!!! :eek2: Do you "clank" when you walk? :haha: Just wondering, because it seems to me that you'd have to have balls of steel to make a descent like that! :hail2thechief:

:popcorn:

rockgremlin
04-28-2006, 09:44 AM
That looks like a blast!

FYI for those who aren't members: Rap length is 265 feet, with much of it being free-hanging. (Membership has it's privileges... :nod: )

Iceaxe
04-28-2006, 09:48 AM
Do you "clank" when you walk?

That's why they call me the Man of Steel.... :lol8:

FOX
04-28-2006, 03:34 PM
Looks awesome!! I just put it on the list!

Iceaxe
04-28-2006, 03:51 PM
If your list is anything like mine its growing faster then I can cross things off.

:five:

FOX
04-28-2006, 08:19 PM
It's growing fast...and I doubt I have a tenth of what's on yours. :hail2thechief:

Sombeech
04-28-2006, 08:47 PM
Do you "clank" when you walk?

That's why they call me the Man of Steel.... :lol8:

Is that why there's all that rust in your shorts? :haha:

Iceaxe
05-01-2006, 02:19 PM
Is that why there's all that rust in your shorts? :haha:

Iceaxe
07-06-2006, 08:23 PM
I just added a minor update to the Red Hollow route description.

Red Hollow

The entrance rappel (Direct Route) was measured at 295', with 280' of the rappel being free air. Looks like we now have a place to practice our Heaps skills or test different big rap combinations.

:popcorn:

stefan
07-06-2006, 08:39 PM
The entrance rappel (Direct Route) was measured at 295', with 280' of the rappel being free air. Looks like we now have a place to practice our Heaps skills or test different big rap combinations.

cool, thanks for the update :2thumbs:

hesse15
07-07-2006, 02:20 PM
last time home i got a 93 meter rope
but it is like englestaed that you have to carry all the way in thecanyon?
if it is worthed i will try to make RC to thinking about it,
i love it englesteda rap and not planning to do any heaps before getting a drysuit the freezing cold is not for me
see you soon
by the way the metal sound i as thinking were the biners attach to you harness to increase friction (nice to weight only 117lb going down on a single 8mm) :five:

Iceaxe
07-07-2006, 02:35 PM
You have to carry the rope through the canyon.... but its a short canyon, maybe 4 hours total.

You really think RC is man enough? :stud:

:haha:

Did ya tell RC you were spending this weekend with the "love machine"?

:roflol:

hesse15
07-11-2006, 09:48 AM
You have to carry the rope through the canyon.... but its a short canyon, maybe 4 hours total.

You really think RC is man enough? :stud:

:haha:

Did ya tell RC you were spending this weekend with the "love machine"?

:roflol:
yes,
RC is not worry,
you know when the student is better than his master :2thumbs: :naughty:
by the way RC officialy pass the "Italian Test"
:bootyshake:

accadacca
07-11-2006, 10:39 AM
:scared: Oh Hell!! :idea:

ajroadtrips
07-11-2006, 12:16 PM
yes,
RC is not worry,
you know when the student is better than his master :2thumbs: :naughty:

Unfortunately I cannot reveal any of the details of the "Italian test".... (Being sworn to secrecy and all.) Glad I passed though, a lesser man would not have...

Good to see you Shane, even if it was only briefly at the potluck.

The Infamous RC

Iceaxe
08-02-2006, 02:01 PM
WARNING:

Recently I have received reports that the dirt road to the upper Red Hollow Trailhead has a gate and is signed "No Trespassing". To date the property owner has been good about allowing access to those who seek permission, use good manners and promise to close the gate.

Sorry, but I do not have contact information for the property owner. If somebody has this info please post it.

:cool2:

rurri
05-13-2013, 04:44 PM
Anyone who has done this, is there a house on the property to enable asking for permission?

Don't mind trying to figure it out, but if it is just a No Trespassing sign with no contact info, seems tough to get permission.